Basic Facts about .NET Framework and Vista

Vistaar

Vista Guru
There are two basic facts about Microsoft .NET Framework that those who are still running Vista should be aware of:

(1) Microsoft did not end support for any version of .NET Framework in April 2017. They only stopped pushing .NET rollups to Vista systems via Windows Update after April 2017. Not surprisingly, the same .NET versions that supported Vista continue to support Server 2008 SP2, meaning that you could and should install newer .NET rollups.

(2) .NET Framework 4.5.2 is not the highest .NET version that can be used on Vista. It was only the highest .NET version that was pushed to Vista systems via Windows Update. .NET 4.6.0 officially supported Vista, while .NET 4.6.1 and even the preview version of 4.6.2 could readily be installed on Vista despite their lack of official support. There has been considerable discussion at MSFN concerning hackish methods of installing even higher .NET versions on Vista. However, for average users, there is no real reason to install a higher .NET 4.x version. There is only one program on my Vista system that requires 4.6.0, otherwise I would still be content with 4.5.2. Once a software developer breaks compatibility with Vista in one way, e.g. by requiring a .NET version that does not support Vista, there is no incentive to avoid breaking compatibility in other ways. Furthermore, installing a higher 4.x version would uninstall the 4.x version you have now, including all of its updates (but would not affect your .NET 3.5 SP2).

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Do you think we can get 4.7.2 or 4.8 on Vista ?
There is a tutorial at MSFN about “How to install .Net Framework 4.8 on Windows Vista.” I have not done so myself. It does not follow that any program requiring a high 4.x version will work on Vista. A few may, but others really do require Windows 7 or above.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
There is a tutorial at MSFN about “How to install .Net Framework 4.8 on Windows Vista.” I have not done so myself. It does not follow that any program requiring a high 4.x version will work on Vista. A few may, but others really do require Windows 7 or above.
Thank you, will look this

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista
Note that not everyone needs .net. You only need it for programs that are programmed in it however M$ assumes that everyone needs it so they push it to everyone. Probably any program requiring it well tell you on install that you have to have it.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
For future references : It is working. Simply follow this : MSFN - How to install 4.7.2 and be fast enough !

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista
Back