Basic network help

Akira

OK. Seriously. This is pathetic. I've been trying to get 2 Vista machines to see each others files. It's not working. Can someone give me some basic Vista networking help? How do I get 2 Vista machine to see each others files on the C:\ of both computers? I need to get Peachtree Accounting to read/ write on both computers. Any help would be great.

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP tx2000z
    CPU
    AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-68 Gold Edition
    Motherboard
    Quanta 305E/nVidia nForce 430
    Memory
    4096MB DDR2 PC2-5300 @ 5-5-5-15
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce Go 6150 64MB
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio/Altec Lansing
    Hard Drives
    250GB 5400RPM SATA
    PSU
    8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    Case
    HP Echo tx2000z
ok, done. Made it so that everyone could see the C:\. I also went into the permissions and added 'Everyone' to the permissions group policy. I did this on both computers. I'm still not able to access the C:\. It's either asking me for a username and password, or it tells me 'Access Denied'. Anything else I need to do? BTW I also went into Network Access and Sharing Center and here's the sequence from top to bottom: Network Discovery: ON; File Sharing: ON; Public Folder Sharing: OFF; Printer Sharing: ON; Password Protected Sharing: OFF; Media Sharing: ON. No Firewall and no Active Antivirus blocking network connection. Anything else I need to do?

My Computer

Trying changing the Public Folder Sharing option to the least restricted setting, see if that helps at all.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP tx2000z
    CPU
    AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-68 Gold Edition
    Motherboard
    Quanta 305E/nVidia nForce 430
    Memory
    4096MB DDR2 PC2-5300 @ 5-5-5-15
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce Go 6150 64MB
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio/Altec Lansing
    Hard Drives
    250GB 5400RPM SATA
    PSU
    8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    Case
    HP Echo tx2000z
Are you allowing access through the firewalls on the machines ?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Home
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy x360 Convertible 15-bq0xx
    CPU
    AMD A9 Stoney Ridge Technology
    Motherboard
    HP 8312 (Socket FP4)
    Memory
    8.00GB Dual-Channel Unknown (?-0-0-0)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz) 512MB ATI AMD Radeon R5
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Aud
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor on AMD Radeon R5 Graphics
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    119GB SanDisk SD8SN8U-128G-1006 (SSD)
    931GB Hitachi HGST HTS721010A9E630 (SATA
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse
    Internet Speed
    62.86Mbps down 18.19Mbps up
    Other Info
    EPSON78D0CF (XP-332 335 Series) (Default Printer)
It should be noted that there are 2 areas that Windows looks at for security settings for file shares. Both are accessible when you right-click -> Properties on the shared folder. The first is the "Sharing", and the second is the "Security". It will use the most restrictive security from both areas.

So, you'll need to grant EVERYONE full permission to both.
(Note: this is not a secure way of doing things - especially if you're using wireless.)

My Computer

What about the 'guest' user, is this user enabled or disabled?

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Energy Efficient 95W edition Socket
    Motherboard
    Asus P5N-E SLI 650i Socket 775 PCI-E Onboard Audio ATX Mothe
    Memory
    2 X OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC with LIFETIME WARRANTY
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 DVI HDCP HDTV out PC
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Cache - OEM
    PSU
    Antec 650W Neopower Modular PSU - Blue LED 12CM Fan
    Case
    Antec 900 Nine Hundred - Gaming Case with 200mm Top Fan - No
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Freezer 7 Pro Socket 775 Processor
    Keyboard
    cheapo argos value one
    Mouse
    5 button logitec
    Internet Speed
    3MB
The 'guest' user is an actual user account (also a user group).

'Everyone' means EVERYONE - including people who have no account on that local system or domain. If you give FULL ACCESS to EVERYONE and strip out any restrictions that would inhibit EVERYONE, then you should be good-to-go.

Try it with a test folder. C:\TEST or something similar. Remove any existing security permissions on it. Then set the security permissions to EVERYONE FULL ALLOW, and then share it with share permissions EVERYONE ALLOW FULL CONTROL.

My Computer

Auditing is access-tracking/logging. And, no, you don't need to enable that for proper sharing. Just set the only sharing & security rights to EVERYONE FULL ACCESS, and that will at least remove any question about it being a permissions issue.

My Computer

So I tried to take ownership of the folder I need access to, but it gives me a "Access Denied" flag. I'm going to try and create another user account on the computer I'm trying to access using the login from the computer I'm accessing it from. Maybe the certs will match up and give me permissions when I try to get into the "Program Files" folder? I've been beating my head against the keyboard trying to figure this out. Do I need to try and access it from the local computer holding the files via a new profile?

Steps I have in my head:
1. Create profile on workstation 'Accounting' holding the files I need to access, under profile "BOB". Login to 'Accounting' under profile "BOB"?
2. Try and access needed files on 'Accounting' from "Bob's" laptop using username and password from Accounting workstation, profile "BOB"?
3. Take ownership of needed files on 'Accounting' and setup permissions for use from laptop?

I JUST FOUND OUT I ONLY HAVE 1 MORE DAY TO FIGURE THIS OUT!!!!! Then the laptop is gone for 2 weeks without access. Someone help please!!!

My Computer

Back