Black screen when laptop connected to TV via HDMI

Hi there,
Thanks for gtng back to me. I know you guys are busy out there, and you have so many other commitments, so I am grateful for what ever time you can spare to help me.
I had already (some days ago) checked the Display driver and found it up todate. However y'day I found I was unable to load any website so I checked for a virus with AVIRA, and found and deleted it. Thinking that perhaps that could be the reason for my problem, I once again checked the driver today and found it p to date. A screen grab is attached which informs me of this.
From the Installation_Readme file I noted that there ought to be an HDMI driver too. So I checked for one and could not find any. The screen grab of my device mgr with that page is also attached.

Look forward to you guys giving me the next step :huh:
Have a great weekend (thring to solve my enigma!)
Mukund

Attachments

• display drv is latest.JPG
    display drv is latest.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 28
  • No HDMI driver seen.JPG
    No HDMI driver seen.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 103

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba Satellite U400-157/Model No. PSU44E-01400GAR
    CPU
    Intel Core2 Duo
    Motherboard
    T5900 @ 2.2GHz
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Display Adapter: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Express Chipset Family
    Mouse
    touchpad
    Internet Speed
    broadband 500KBps
Hi Mukund :)

I even checked my Display adapter Driver to see if it is corrupt, or needs to be updated. I have Ver 7.15.10.1502 and if I try and update driver I get a msg telling me I have the latest ver.

Oops, I missed this post, my mistake :o

Hi there,
Thanks for gtng back to me. I know you guys are busy out there, and you have so many other commitments, so I am grateful for what ever time you can spare to help me.

You're most welcome, thanks for being so courteous. It certainly makes the helping experience more enjoyable, and rewarding, for us :)

I had already (some days ago) checked the Display driver and found it up todate. However y'day I found I was unable to load any website so I checked for a virus with AVIRA, and found and deleted it. Thinking that perhaps that could be the reason for my problem, I once again checked the driver today and found it p to date. A screen grab is attached which informs me of this.
From the Installation_Readme file I noted that there ought to be an HDMI driver too. So I checked for one and could not find any. The screen grab of my device mgr with that page is also attached.
What virus was it? Because I'm half way through a malware removal degree, I'm not allowed to help you with any removal, but I just want to make sure that there aren't any underlying infections. It's better to be safe than sorry when malware is at stake :)

I think the HDMI driver is included with your display driver, they usually do both SD and HD video.

On that screenshot of the Intel control panel, I see a drop down menu called "Operating Mode", what are the options that you can choose? Have you tried any others? And what's on the display settings tab? I don't mind if you do a screenshot or just tell me, whatever is easiest for you is great :)

Look forward to you guys giving me the next step :huh:
Have a great weekend (thring to solve my enigma!)
Mukund

You too!

Tom

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Build #1
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770K @4.4GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz Low Profile (White)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 (2GB GDDR5)
    Sound Card
    Integrated on motherboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" LG LCD/LED IPS
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung EVO 128GB SSD
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm
    2x500GB Seagate FreeAgent 5400rpm
    PSU
    Corsair TX650W V2 (80+ Bronze)
    Case
    NZXT Phantom 410
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 Water Cooler, 1x140mm and 1x120mm stock fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Desktop 2000 Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Desktop 2000 Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    95 Mb/s Download 70 Mb/s Upload
Hi Tom
Thanks for <your> courtesy!
The Intel panel has a dropdown OPERATING MODE.
In the days when all was well, after connecting the laptop to the TV with the HDMI cable I would be given a choice of
Single Display
or
Dual display (or TV monitor, or some such words, sadly I do not recall perfectly)
but the point is that there would be TWO choices.

In one of my first posts on this problem I had stated that the issue was, the non-appearance of the second choice. Simultaneously, the lower box would change to allow me to select the PRIMARY DEVICE
either
Laptop
or
TV monitor

Likewise in my original post I have explained that I no longer get this choice.

As far as the virus is concerned. I understand your point about not being able to get involved in Malaware issues.

I am running AVIRA (Free version) and "Emisoft Anti-malware" (paid version) and occasionally also check with "Malwarebytes anti-malware" (Free version)

A screen grab of the virus detection report is attached

Cheers

Attachments

• virus report of TR-Crypt.XPACK.Gen3.JPG
    virus report of TR-Crypt.XPACK.Gen3.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 38

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Intel Core2 Duo
    Motherboard
    T5900 @ 2.2GHz
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Mouse
    touchpad
    Internet Speed
    broadband 500KBps
Hi Mukund,

Sorry for the late reply, I had two 20 mark essays in for today so, as you can understand, I was a little busy last night!

Hi Tom
Thanks for <your> courtesy!

You're most welcome :)

The Intel panel has a dropdown OPERATING MODE.
In the days when all was well, after connecting the laptop to the TV with the HDMI cable I would be given a choice of
Single Display
or
Dual display (or TV monitor, or some such words, sadly I do not recall perfectly)
but the point is that there would be TWO choices.

In one of my first posts on this problem I had stated that the issue was, the non-appearance of the second choice. Simultaneously, the lower box would change to allow me to select the PRIMARY DEVICE
either
Laptop
or
TV monitor

Likewise in my original post I have explained that I no longer get this choice.

As far as the virus is concerned. I understand your point about not being able to get involved in Malaware issues.

I am running AVIRA (Free version) and "Emisoft Anti-malware" (paid version) and occasionally also check with "Malwarebytes anti-malware" (Free version)

A screen grab of the virus detection report is attached

Cheers
Hmm, okay, sounds like a driver issue to me. Let's try reinstalling the drivers and see where that leaves us :)

Uninstall Driver

1. Open the start menu
  2. In the search box, type Device Manager and open it
  3. Expand the Display Adapters category by clicking on the little + sign
  4. One by one, right click on all of the entries in this list and select Uninstall
  5. Reboot your computer after that finishes

Don't be alarmed about removing your display adapters, your computer will still function without them. When rebooting, Windows will detect the missing driver and will download a new copy of it :)

That's great, thanks. Would you mind posting your AVIRA log please? I don't know how easy it is to access these logs in the console, I've never used AVIRA before, but if you can't find it then apparently they're located here:

C:\ProgramData\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\LOGFILES

Thanks!

Tom

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Build #1
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" LG LCD/LED IPS
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung EVO 128GB SSD
    PSU
    Case
    NZXT Phantom 410
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
Hi Tom,
Uninstalled the Graphics Driver, restarted the comp and it did instal on its own a default driver. The screen did look a bit wishy-washy.
At the Device Mgr I checked and found it was the "default driver" and not the INTEL driver as was earlier installed.
I had already downloaded the INTEL driver same version as before, because there is no newer version available on the Toshiba website.
I then installed the INTEL driver and the screen came back to its earlier clear hi-res 1280x800.
Keeping my fingers crossed I connected the HDMI cable and selected the HDMI input at the TV. Nothing happened
Went to the Graphic Poperties panel and found there are no choices - only "SINGLE DISPLAY" and "NOTEBOOK".
Incidentally, when I googled Toshiba HDMI connection to TV, I found that a whole bunch of guys have had this problem.

I am fast running out of patience :confused:

Do you think removing Windows Vista Home Premium and installing Windows Ultimate instead will make a difference?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Intel Core2 Duo
    Motherboard
    T5900 @ 2.2GHz
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Mouse
    touchpad
    Internet Speed
    broadband 500KBps
Hi Tom,
Uninstalled the Graphics Driver, restarted the comp and it did instal on its own a default driver. The screen did look a bit wishy-washy.
At the Device Mgr I checked and found it was the "default driver" and not the INTEL driver as was earlier installed.
I had already downloaded the INTEL driver same version as before, because there is no newer version available on the Toshiba website.
I then installed the INTEL driver and the screen came back to its earlier clear hi-res 1280x800.
Keeping my fingers crossed I connected the HDMI cable and selected the HDMI input at the TV. Nothing happened
Went to the Graphic Poperties panel and found there are no choices - only "SINGLE DISPLAY" and "NOTEBOOK".
Incidentally, when I googled Toshiba HDMI connection to TV, I found that a whole bunch of guys have had this problem.

I am fast running out of patience :confused:

Do you think removing Windows Vista Home Premium and installing Windows Ultimate instead will make a difference?

Hi Mukund,

Sorry for the late reply! School has been pretty hectic this week but I didn't realise I'd left it this late :o

Assuming this problem is software related, which it sounds like as it has worked for you in the past, then reinstalling Windows would work :) That includes upgrading to Ultimate. If it still isn't fixed by this, then it sounds like a hardware problem :(

Once again, sorry for the late reply.

Tom

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Build #1
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" LG LCD/LED IPS
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung EVO 128GB SSD
    PSU
    Case
    NZXT Phantom 410
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
If I remember correctly (always up in the air), those people who have this same problem said it would work at a resolution like 800x600. Can't remember the actual resolution.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB