Bluetooth Dongle Dribble

Ectropian

My Acer didn't come with bluetooth built in (because I didn't need it at the time), so I bought a 'dongle' from Broadcom (Kensington) WIDDCOMM whatever it's called.

I put the CD in, and all the drivers are not signed! After overwriting all of the install options, I get Installation Failed. So I check out their website and download their installer file, which downloads a 33meg installation driver package into a /temp directory; automatically launches the installer, which gives the error message "Installation Failed" (nothing more), then promptly deletes the temp file so you have to re-download the 33meg file each time you try to install.

I've been in contact with Broadcom's tech support (I wish they spoke English), who only tell me to Get a new Cd or 1. update MS drivers for the device & 2. Re-download the driver install file.

I've tried MS driver update, even let the dongle-hardware-install look up drivers on the web.

I've downloaded the driver package from Acer.com, which turns out is the EXACT same file from Broadcom's website. Bluetooth 6.0.1.3600

I'm out of options, aside from taking it back and Hoping that the next one I buy doesn't have the same problem.

Any ideas?

My Computer

Ok, since nobody else wants to comment on this, I guess I'll have to put in my Other 2 cents.

According to this post, (you'll have to scroll all the way down, but it's a good read) ALL Kensington Products will NOT support Vista x64.

Buyer Beware!

Mine is going BACK!

My Computer

Back