Boot Up Problem!

ok well thats one thing less to worry about you may have to do a clean install anyway, what mother board are you using does it have dual bios? access the bios and select to return to factory settings or similar option to reset the bios and try again if that works you won't have to do a clean install but if it doesn't you'll need a clean install and when you do that all files are put into a folder called windows old so you won't lose anything apart from apps

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    me
    CPU
    intel Q6600 @3.0Ghz
    Motherboard
    gigabyte EP35C DS3R
    Memory
    8 GB OCZ 1066 HPC REAPER
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire 4870 HD 1024mb gddr5
    Monitor(s) Displays
    lg flatron 20.1
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    western digital 350gb
    samsung spinpoint 120gb
    PSU
    900w
    Case
    thermaltake aguila
    Cooling
    2x 120mm 2x 10cm
Sorry for being so difficult but nothing I found could disable the auto reboot. But is there any type of installation that will reset or change my HAL and keep all of my programs

My Computer

Sorry for being so difficult but nothing I found could disable the auto reboot. But is there any type of installation that will reset or change my HAL and keep all of my programs an files.

if you could get a copy of your bios you could flash it but i would not recomend that for a home user.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    me
    CPU
    intel Q6600 @3.0Ghz
    Motherboard
    gigabyte EP35C DS3R
    Memory
    8 GB OCZ 1066 HPC REAPER
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    lg flatron 20.1
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    western digital 350gb
    samsung spinpoint 120gb
    PSU
    900w
    Case
    thermaltake aguila
    Cooling
    2x 120mm 2x 10cm
I just tried resetting my BIOS and still didn't boot. I am also hesitant because I don't remember all of my apps :/ and I have System Mechanic and I've run out of keys for that. But atleast all of my files would still be there

My Computer

Hello I've recently had an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ installed on my Dell. Now my computer gets to the progress scroll bar page then it goes black and reboots. I've tried repairing and restoring but both are unsuccessful. I want to avoid a clean install as much as possible. Can someone please help me get my computer working. Any help is appreciated.
Who installed the cpu for you?

While a dual core uses a different version of HAL than a single core, if the motherboard is the same and its bios supports the new dual core cpu, you should have no issues whatsoever. Windows, as long as the previous requirements are met, will recognize the new cpu and use the proper HAL. I've done this more than once, so I know you don't need to reinstall as long as the motherboard is unchanged.

You should find out if your current bios supports dual core cpus? Could you provide us with more info (as much as you've got) on this Dell? We need to see anything and everything you've got on the board.

I suspect it's your bios. If that's the case, you're going to have to bring the machine back to whomever installed the cpu for you, have him put back your old cpu and flash to a later bios.

I would be pissed though... that machine should have never left in the state that it's in.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Fumz' Flux-Capacitor
    CPU
    E8400
    Motherboard
    DFI LP DK P35-T2RS
    Memory
    4GB G.Skill PC-1066
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS
    Sound Card
    X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 226BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    500GB W.D. RE2 Primary
    1TB W.D. Caviar GP WD10EACS
    PSU
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610
    Case
    Lian Li Lancool K62
    Cooling
    Thermalright Ultima-90/S-Flex 120mm
    Keyboard
    MS Natural Elite 4000 Ergonomic
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    2.5MB/430
    Other Info
    D-Link DGL 4500
your files will be safe. last time i did a clean install it copied the entire windows folder all apps and everything from my c drive including programme files but i could not move those apps across as they need to create registry info and so forth which is done during installation but think of this as a fresh start, and it will give you the chance to not install those apps you thought were usfull but never used.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    me
    CPU
    intel Q6600 @3.0Ghz
    Motherboard
    gigabyte EP35C DS3R
    Memory
    8 GB OCZ 1066 HPC REAPER
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    lg flatron 20.1
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    western digital 350gb
    samsung spinpoint 120gb
    PSU
    900w
    Case
    thermaltake aguila
    Cooling
    2x 120mm 2x 10cm
Hello I've recently had an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ installed on my Dell. Now my computer gets to the progress scroll bar page then it goes black and reboots. I've tried repairing and restoring but both are unsuccessful. I want to avoid a clean install as much as possible. Can someone please help me get my computer working. Any help is appreciated.
Who installed the cpu for you?

While a dual core uses a different version of HAL than a single core, if the motherboard is the same and its bios supports the new dual core cpu, you should have no issues whatsoever. Windows, as long as the previous requirements are met, will recognize the new cpu and use the proper HAL. I've done this more than once, so I know you don't need to reinstall as long as the motherboard is unchanged.

You should find out if your current bios supports dual core cpus? Could you provide us with more info (as much as you've got) on this Dell? We need to see anything and everything you've got on the board.

I have a Dell Dimension C521.
My old processor was an AMD Sempron 3400+(single core)
My chipset is an Nforce 430
My ram is 512(used to be 1.5gb but then my 1 gig stick was defective)
My Graphic Card is a GeForce 6150LE
I don't know myh motherboard.

My Computer

your files will be safe. last time i did a clean install it copied the entire windows folder all apps and everything from my c drive including programme files but i could not move those apps across as they need to create registry info and so forth which is done during installation but think of this as a fresh start, and it will give you the chance to not install those apps you thought were usfull but never used.
So every file and program is still there but in a folder called Old Windows? So I would still have them so I could decide which to reinstall?

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    * BFK Customs *
    CPU
    Intel C2Q 9550 Yorkfield
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5Q Pro
    Memory
    8GB Dominator 8500C5D
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX ATI 1GB 4870 XXX
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD 7-1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1x 47" LCD HDMI & 2x 26" LCD HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080P & 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    2x 500GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache WD Caviar Black
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX
    Case
    CM Cosmos RC-1000
    Cooling
    Tuniq Tower 120, 2x 140mm and 3x 120mm case fans
    Keyboard
    HP Enhansed Multimedia
    Mouse
    Razer Diamondback 3G
    Internet Speed
    18.6Mb/s
    Other Info
    My First Build ;)
Yes I noticed you have H. Basic, it could be. I wouldn't do anything until you got more RAM.

You need to have a talk with whoever installed the CPU.

Later :shock: Ted

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    * BFK Customs *
    CPU
    Intel C2Q 9550 Yorkfield
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5Q Pro
    Memory
    8GB Dominator 8500C5D
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX ATI 1GB 4870 XXX
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD 7-1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080P & 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX
    Case
    CM Cosmos RC-1000
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    HP Enhansed Multimedia
    Mouse
    Razer Diamondback 3G
    Internet Speed
    18.6Mb/s
    Other Info
    My First Build ;)
Yes I noticed you have H. Basic, it could be. I wouldn't do anything until you got more RAM.

You need to have a talk with whoever installed the CPU.

Ok I'll wait for the more RAM and contact my installer for help, otherwise in a few weeks I will bring back this topic. Thanks to everyone who posted.

My Computer

I hope you get it sorted, yes please post back and let us know ... ;)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    * BFK Customs *
    CPU
    Intel C2Q 9550 Yorkfield
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5Q Pro
    Memory
    8GB Dominator 8500C5D
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX ATI 1GB 4870 XXX
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD 7-1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080P & 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX
    Case
    CM Cosmos RC-1000
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    HP Enhansed Multimedia
    Mouse
    Razer Diamondback 3G
    Internet Speed
    18.6Mb/s
    Other Info
    My First Build ;)
Ok I'll wait for the more RAM and contact my installer for help, otherwise in a few weeks I will bring back this topic. Thanks to everyone who posted.
If you're planning on taking the machine back to the same guy who let it out of his door in the condition it is... I would consider someone else. :confused:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Fumz' Flux-Capacitor
    CPU
    E8400
    Motherboard
    DFI LP DK P35-T2RS
    Memory
    4GB G.Skill PC-1066
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS
    Sound Card
    X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 226BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    500GB W.D. RE2 Primary
    1TB W.D. Caviar GP WD10EACS
    PSU
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610
    Case
    Lian Li Lancool K62
    Cooling
    Thermalright Ultima-90/S-Flex 120mm
    Keyboard
    MS Natural Elite 4000 Ergonomic
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    2.5MB/430
    Other Info
    D-Link DGL 4500
The people who installed your CPU should have known and informed you that 512MB of RAM would be a problem, and reputable techs would not have done a CPU swap until your machine was stable as far as hardware is concerned, a question.. maybe i missed it... was the machine running with this new CPU? If so...was it running with only the 512MB of RAM? Or...did the problems start after your RAM went bad? For the forum Techs....could that machine need RAM in pairs?

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Q9550 2.83 Quad
    Memory
    8 GB OCZ 800MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9800 GT 1GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 24
    Hard Drives
    2 500 GB 32MB Seagate( Raid 0 )
    1 1000 GB 32MB Seagate
    PSU
    PC P{ower and Cooler 1000W
    Other Info
    HP d5000t ATX CTO
No the motherboard was not changed. I went from an AMD Sempron 3400+ to AMD Athlon 64 x2 5400+. I don't have my old cpu. Doesn't the back up back up my programs too?

Ok, let's try and see what the error is. Turn on the computer, and after the POST, but before windows begins to boot, continually press F8 to get to the boot menu. If there is an option to "Disable automatic restart on system failure" (like on XP), then select it. If the system resets now, the error message should stay on screen. Make a note of what it says (as much detail as possible).

From there, we may be able to give further instruction.

Also, try resetting the BIOS to failsafe defaults.

Ok, and I tryed pressing F8 but nothing came up

If continually pressing F8 before Vista starts doesn't help, then do you get a boot menu that state Vista didn't start properly? This menu usually gives 30 seconds before normal booting resumes. If you press F8 then, what happens?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    AMD Phenom 9600 Quad
    Motherboard
    ASUS MB-M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi
    Memory
    2 x A-Data 2GB DDR2-800
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ATI Radeon HD 2400PRO
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAHARA 21"
    Screen Resolution
    1600x1200
    Hard Drives
    2 x 80GB Seagate (I)
    2 x 120GB Seagate (I/S)
    2 x 200GB Seagate (I/S)
    2 x 250GB Seagate (I/S)
    PSU
    800W
    Case
    Thermaltake Tai-Chi
    Cooling
    Tai-Chi Water Cooler
    Keyboard
    Genius
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    384kbps
    Other Info
    Currently dual booting between Vista x64 Ultimate Windows 7 BETA x64
Hi upinflames,

I have just had a look at the documentation for your motherboard (links below). In the 'Owners Manual' (2nd link), refer to the section headed 'Advanced Troubleshooting' beginning on page 47. What is the pattern of the 'Diagnostic Lights' as shown in this section? These lights are on the front of your system, numbered 8 in the image below.
Capture.JPG

Documentation
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimc521/en/OM_EN/RP333A00.pdf
Documentation
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimc521/multlang/PM/DAO/PY374A01.pdf

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dwarf Dwf/11/2012 r09/2013
    CPU
    Intel Core-i5-3570K 4-core @ 3.4GHz (Ivy Bridge) (OC 4.2GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M
    Memory
    4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B (16GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GeForce GTX770 Gaming OC 2GB
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition on board solution (ALC 898)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ViewSonic VA1912w Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    OCZ Agility 3 120GB SATA III x2 (RAID 0)
    Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA II x2
    Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB SATA II
    Iomega 1.5TB Ext USB 2.0
    WD 2.0TB Ext USB 3.0
    PSU
    XFX Pro Series 850W Semi-Modular
    Case
    Gigabyte IF233
    Cooling
    1 x 120mm Front Inlet 1 x 120mm Rear Exhaust
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 3000 (USB)
    Mouse
    Microsoft Comfort Mouse 3000 for Business (USB)
    Internet Speed
    NetGear DG834Gv3 ADSL Modem/Router (Ethernet) ~4.0 Mb/s (O2)
    Other Info
    Optical Drive: HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 SATA Bluray
    Lexmark S305 Printer/Scanner/Copier (USB)
    WEI Score: 8.1/8.1/8.5/8.5/8.25
    Asus Eee PC 1011PX Netbook (Windows 7 x86 Starter)
The people who installed your CPU should have known and informed you that 512MB of RAM would be a problem, and reputable techs would not have done a CPU swap until your machine was stable as far as hardware is concerned, a question.. maybe i missed it... was the machine running with this new CPU? If so...was it running with only the 512MB of RAM? Or...did the problems start after your RAM went bad? For the forum Techs....could that machine need RAM in pairs?
When they installed the cpu they noticed that the RAM was defective and cuasing my computer problems so they removed it.

My Computer

Ok, let's try and see what the error is. Turn on the computer, and after the POST, but before windows begins to boot, continually press F8 to get to the boot menu. If there is an option to "Disable automatic restart on system failure" (like on XP), then select it. If the system resets now, the error message should stay on screen. Make a note of what it says (as much detail as possible).

From there, we may be able to give further instruction.

Also, try resetting the BIOS to failsafe defaults.

Ok, and I tryed pressing F8 but nothing came up

If continually pressing F8 before Vista starts doesn't help, then do you get a boot menu that state Vista didn't start properly? This menu usually gives 30 seconds before normal booting resumes. If you press F8 then, what happens?
Nothing.

My Computer

When they installed the cpu they noticed that the RAM was defective and cuasing my computer problems so they removed it.
The more you describe them, the less legit they seem. Just so we're straight: you brought them your working machine so they could replace the cpu. They handed you back an inoperable machine, and told you they had to remove 1GB of your RAM, "because it was bad", and, if that weren't bad enough on it's own, kept your old cpu and this "bad RAM"?

My god... I don't know where to begin? I mean your machine worked before you brought it in, so you know they're full of sh!t and that they just ripped you off 1GB of RAM. They also ripped you off a working, fully functioning, fully sell-able cpu. What right do they think they have to keep your parts? And, lets not forget that (giving them the undeserved benefit of the doubt) they claimed to test, but let you walk out of the door with a machine that will not boot... this isn't pc repair, it's criminality.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Fumz' Flux-Capacitor
    CPU
    E8400
    Motherboard
    DFI LP DK P35-T2RS
    Memory
    4GB G.Skill PC-1066
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS