Bootmgr is missing

Issue : Unable to boot to windows error “bootmgr is missing”

Note   Note
Before trying the step below please run startup repair first

Solution :

1. Boot the computer from Vista OS DVD.
  • Click on Repair Your Computer.

• Click on Command prompt.

• At the X:\Sources prompt, type bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup and press <Enter>

• Type c: and press <Enter>.

• At the C:\ prompt, type cd boot and press <Enter>.

• At the C:\Boot prompt, type attrib bcd -s -h -r and press <Enter>.

• At the C:\Boot prompt, type ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old and press <Enter>.

• At the C:\Boot prompt, type bootrec /rebuildbcd and press <Enter>.

• The Boot Configuration File will be rebuilt at this point. Once it finishes, type exit and press <Enter>. Click the Restart button . ;)

Attachments

• thumb_Hard_Drive.png
    thumb_Hard_Drive.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 444
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I am having the same problem. After trying bootrec /RebuildBCD, then bootrec /FixMbr, and finally bootrec /FixBoot, I'm given this message:

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows Installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

So, Windows has been erased basically? My computer was working completely fine, and all I was trying to do was a system restore from within vista, because I'm giving the computer to someone else and wanted to wipe it. I clicked "System Restore" in the Recovery Manager, and then I get an error (which, according to forums, is quite common) and now I have the BOOTMGR missing at startup. I have already tried many things. I've burned that Nero ISO image thing that takes me to the System Repair, only there is no operating system to repair. I've tried doing a Startup Repair and it doesn't work. I try doing a System Restore, but all my restore points are gone. I have tried creating a new Bootloader but that hasn't worked either.

Can someone help me? I can't believe all this happened because I wanted to restore my computer to factory settings...so ridiculous. On other forums people have had this happen because of a hard drive fail, virus, etc, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with the computer before I hit that damn System Restore...

Here are my specs, by the way. I'm running Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP1, on an HP Pavilion dv2910ca. It obviously didn't come with a Vista disk

My Computer

Worked for me.
Larry2488
Oct 17, 2009 2:32pm BST
Toshiba laptops from mid 2007 onwards dont have a recovery disc supplied with a purchase of a laptop. Instead, Toshiba has added a hidden partion on the hard drive which contains the same files on a recovery cd / dvd.

To reinstall your laptop to the factory settings / "out of the box" settings, please follow these steps. It worked for me, and should work for you.

ALL DATA WILL BE ERASED ON YOUR HARD DRIVE IF YOU PROCEED. YOU WILL NEED TO ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE THE POWER ADAPTER PLUGGED IN. DO NOT SWITCH OFF OR RESTART YOUR COMPUTER DURING THIS PROCESS.

1) Hold down the power button for 10 (ten) seconds to switch off your machine.

Please note: Holding down the power button on the machine forces it to switch off. Any unsaved data will be lost.

2) Press and hold the 0 (zero) key and at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your notebook.

3) When the machine Starts beeping; release the 0 key.

4) When prompted by the warning screen; select Yes to continue with the system recovery.

5) Select Recovery of Factory Default Software; click Next.

6) Select Recover to out-of-box state. Click Next again.

7) Click Next to Start recovery.

I hope you find this step by step solution helpful for you. If so, rate it up.

Thanks,
Larry2488

Permalink (#94)

My Computer

I went through the first recommendation, it went well but instead of BCD, it says Winload32.exe is missing.

Thinking that more files may be needed to fix, I went through SIW2 suggestion and it worked beautifully.

My system is back on with all data saved.

Thanks SIW2.

Jeremy XForced

My Computer

Back