Brother HL-1440 shared printer problems

frojoy

I am running Vista Ultimate 64bit on my desktop. I have installed my Brother HL-1440 with no problems. My problem occurs when I try and add the printer as a shared printer to my father's desktop that is running XP. File sharing works between both computers with no problem. The XP box sees the printer and when I tell it to add it as a shared printer I get a message saying the printer server doesn't have the correct drivers installed. I click ok and go to the next screen where I try and point the OS to the correct drivers. I have downloaded the XP drivers from Brother's website. When I try and manually direct the OS to them I get a message saying the .INF is wrong.

My networking buddy has told me that this same problem occured for him back with NT and win98 and that the fix was installing the 98 drivers on the NT box. I have researched adding drivers into Vista's driver store file but am confused about that whole thing, plus I'm not positive that will fix this issue. I have looked at

Michael Niehaus' Windows and Office deployment ramblings : Windows Vista driver management
Device Management and Installation Step-by-Step Guide: Signing and Staging Device Drivers

Is the solution present on one of these pages and if so can someone simplify it for me.

Thank you.

My Computer

Back