Solved BSoD with nvidia GeForce GT 430 graphics card

Unfortunately I don't have another system on hand to try the card in. As per Yard Dog I'm wondering if I can't find a replacement fan for the 9600 GS or perhaps Patonb is correct in that it does not like the slot so try a different card that is not the GT 430.

I just downloaded WhoCrashed and it says 8 of the last 10 BSODs were "probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe" Then it goes on to say "this problem was possibly caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time."

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9515y Desktop PC
    CPU
    AMD Phenom X4 9850
    Motherboard
    MS-7548 (Aspen)
    Memory
    Patriot Memory DDR2 6400EL Series (4x4GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    PNY Nvidia GeForce GT 430
Yep, seems as Patonb was correct, faulty 430 . I have been watching this and wishing you would just put the other one back in and start all over .

I actually put the 9600 GS back in for the time being but because the fan is no longer functional I have an oscillating fan pointed into the tower.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    AMD Phenom X4 9850
    Motherboard
    MS-7548 (Aspen)
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
Well...things are looking better. I performed a restore point to a date before all the driver were updated, the uninstallation of the GS 9600 drivers, and the new card was first installed. I then had windows check for updates and did all except IE 9...all of this with the old 9600 GS card installed. I then went back to HP drivers and downloads that Patonb suggested and only updated the Original AMD RAID Controller Driver and MS-7548 Motherboard BIOS Update.

I then plugged in the GT 430 and booted up. No BSOD happened this time (Wow!) so I ran through the nvidia driver installation and although it took quite a while the installation completed and prompted for reboot. Amazing!

However, upon reboot the BSOD happened upon reaching the desktop. I allowed it to restart yet again and it BSOD before booting up completely. I shut it down and removed the updated memory I had installed (Patriot G Series DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz, 4x 4GB) and installed 2 of the 4 sticks that originally came with the system (PC2-6400 MB/sec, 2 x 2GB). I rebooted with no errors or BSOD!

It's appears to be the 16GB of Patriot Memory that I installed in November that's causing the issue.

1) I'm glad to see the system is currently working
2) I'm wondering why the memory is causing an issue with the GT 430. Any thoughts?
3) I hope the new memory will eventually work
4) I'm trying to find the other 2 sticks that I put back in the empty Patriot packaging to give me at least 8GB...my wife picked them up off the desk and does not remember where she stored it.

Any ideas as to why the memory is causing the issue?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    AMD Phenom X4 9850
    Motherboard
    MS-7548 (Aspen)
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
OK...here are the latest details regarding the Patriot DDR2 memory and the nvidia GeForce GT 430.

2 pairs of matching sticks (4 x 4GB = 16GB) = BSOD
1 pair of matching sticks (2 x 4GB = 8GB) = no errors
1 pair of original sticks (2 x 2GB) + 1 pair of Patriot sticks (2 x 4GB) = 12GB total and no errors or BSOD.

The BSOD is only happening when 4 x 4GB memory is installed, matching sets grouped in blue and black slots and vice versa.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    AMD Phenom X4 9850
    Motherboard
    MS-7548 (Aspen)
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
You little bugger!

Had you said that you upped the ram, I would have had you drop down to 1 stick.

When you increase the memory, you put a larger strain on the system, and decreases stability.

Saddly, you have a prebuilt system, i don't think you'll be able to tweek the system to get your 16Gig working. But 8Gig is plenty of memory.

Glad you dove into the memory an sorted your issue.

Hmm... Another thought.. Desktop windows only can use 16Gig... I wonder if over 16Gig cause issues?

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Dual L5639 // i7 950 @ 4.0Ghz
    Motherboard
    Evga SR-2 // Gigabyte x58a-ud3r
    Memory
    12Gig Corsair XMS3 // 6Gig OCZ Gold
    Graphics Card(s)
    gtx 560 ti // gtx 260-216
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 22" // Headless
    Hard Drives
    OCZ aGILITY 3, 120Gig + Seagate 500Gig x 2
    PSU
    Silverstone da700 // Corsair 520hx
    Case
    Rosewill BlackHawk Ultra // Antec 900v1
    Cooling
    Twin CM Hyper 212+ // Noctua NH-u12
    Other Info
    Acer 8930 laptop with x9100...
You little bugger!

Had you said that you upped the ram, I would have had you drop down to 1 stick.

When you increase the memory, you put a larger strain on the system, and decreases stability.

Saddly, you have a prebuilt system, i don't think you'll be able to tweek the system to get your 16Gig working. But 8Gig is plenty of memory.

Glad you dove into the memory an sorted your issue.

Hmm... Another thought.. Desktop windows only can use 16Gig... I wonder if over 16Gig cause issues?

A thousand apologies for not making the 16GB memory more clear as a non-stock item with my machine. Although the product spec sheet says it can handle the 16GB, it appears it can only do so with the hardware that was originally configured with it.

A special shout out to you and wither 3 for the countless tips, assistance and time you spent helping me. It is greatly appreciated!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    AMD Phenom X4 9850
    Motherboard
    MS-7548 (Aspen)
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
You're welcome from my end of things. Even though the 430 uses relatively low power, it could be that when it ramps up, it's putting a strain on the power supply while 4 sticks of 4 Gb are installed.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
You're welcome from my end of things. Even though the 430 uses relatively low power, it could be that when it ramps up, it's putting a strain on the power supply while 4 sticks of 4 Gb are installed.

It definitely sounds like that might be the case as anything less than the 4 sticks of 4GB works properly. Again, thanks for all the help and I am very impressed with the assistance that can be found in this forum.

Cheers!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    AMD Phenom X4 9850
    Motherboard
    MS-7548 (Aspen)
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
Not a problem Bouw, If i didn't want to help, i would have stopped helping ;) I should have figured 16Gig was a recent add in.. Especially in a 1st gen Penom

Wither.. No, youre not correct. The psu has nothing to do with it. I run an oc'd 950 and a gtx 216 on a 520W. Hell, I run 2 l5339 xeon hex cores and a gtx 560-ti on 700W.

What does happen is the memory stresses the motherboard and so it doesn't get enough powe basically. Had it been an aftermarket setup, It'd be possible to up the chipset and memory Volts to compensate. But hp lock the bios to stop overclocking.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Dual L5639 // i7 950 @ 4.0Ghz
    Motherboard
    Evga SR-2 // Gigabyte x58a-ud3r
    Memory
    12Gig Corsair XMS3 // 6Gig OCZ Gold
    Graphics Card(s)
    gtx 560 ti // gtx 260-216
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 22" // Headless
    Hard Drives
    OCZ aGILITY 3, 120Gig + Seagate 500Gig x 2
    PSU
    Silverstone da700 // Corsair 520hx
    Case
    Rosewill BlackHawk Ultra // Antec 900v1
    Cooling
    Twin CM Hyper 212+ // Noctua NH-u12
    Other Info
    Acer 8930 laptop with x9100...
I didn't look at the PSU on his rig and didn't ask. The point was that he may not have enough power for this combination whether from the PSU or overstressing the mobo so he doesn't have enough power. I'm to ignorant to understand the latter.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB