Can't connect to Linux on home network

Brandon003

Hello everyone, hopefully someone here has some Linux experience and can help with my networking problems. I have a fileserver running Linux on my home network. It uses openssh for ssh and samba for local file sharing. I just installed Vista Ultimate x64 on a separate computer and cannot connect to it. I can connect to the fileserver through samba from another computer on the same network running XP as well as from OS X. I can connect to the computer with XP from Vista, but can't discover the Linux computer. I can ssh from the computer running OS X to the Linux computer but PuTTY just time-outs when trying to connect from Vista. I can ping every other computer on my network that is running a form on windows, but I cannot even ping the Linux box. I disabled the windows firewall temporarily to remove it as a cause. Since I cannot even ping the Linux computer, I think that is the main issue and ssh and samba should probably work once that is resolved. Oh yeah, I also changed the Network security policy to "LM and NTLM – use NTLMV2 session security if negotiated". I am using Samba >3.0 which has support for ntlmv2, but I changed it anyway.
All of the computers are wired, except for the one running OS X. If I forgot any other detail, let me know.

Thanks,
Brandon

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

Back