Can't connect to the internet, 3rd BRAND NEW computer that work connect! HELP!

chesee48

I bought a new Dell computer and then got another brand new dell that they replaced for free because they thought something was wrong with it. I returned that one and bought a brand new HP that i still have currently, all have/had Windows VISTA...

After being on the phone for hours and hours with Microsoft, Comcast and Dell, there still hasnt been anyone that can resolve the issues...

I have a Motorola modem thats connect by ethernet cable to a D-Link wireless router, but is only used as a medium to connect multiple computers to that motorola router through ethernet cables.

The connection is good given that i'm typing from my old computer with Windows XP. Plug and play and the internet works no issues.

Can this be an issue with the Modem or D-link router? Ethenet Cable? I can not think of anything else and with the Dell computer(s), microsoft and dell tried everything physically possible to try to un-install Vista, do this and do that with everything. Comcast did say that all their modems are Vista friendly and i even tried directly plugging the ethernet cable from the modem to the computer, bypassing the router and that didnt work. One comment that was made was that i had a bad IP address, which they tried to fix and that didnt work either. Please someone help me! Or im going to have to go with a brand new computer that has XP and not Vista. THANKS!

SIW2

Vista Guru
Gold Member
Hi cheese48,

It's not that you're being ignored, it must be that no one has an answer.

As far as I know none of the regulars here has had a problem with Vista itself connecting - so it's not the o/s .

You've tried a couple of different machines - so it's not likely to be the hardware per se.

I suspect it's a combination of the ethernet card, the drivers, your router etc. Which would explain why neither Dell nor M$ could figure it out.

Sorry I can't offer any solutions either.

SIW2

chesee48

Thanks for the reply...I'm going to go to comcast on friday and trade my modem for a newer "updated" modem and see what that does....

patrickt

Logically, if your connection worked with your old computer then there is nothing wrong with the connection.

If three new computers failed to connect then logically it's not the computer. The chances of all three being somehow defective would be remote.

If it were me, I'd unplug all the cables, wait a few minutes, connect the cables, configure the router, and see if it works. Doing hard resets on the router and modem and reconfiguring is an option, too.

Dwarf

The Contemplator
Vista Guru
Gold Member
Hi chesee48 and welcome to Vista Forums :party:

Although people have had issues with D-Link routers, I think that we can possibly eliminate that here since you tried connecting through it and connecting directly to your modem. Instead, I think that it could be a driver issue. To check this, click on the start orb and type Device Manager into the search box and press enter/return. Click OK when the warning message appears and then click on Network adapters to expand that section.
Capture.JPG
Do you see a yellow warning triangle or a red cross here (or, indeed, any of the other categories)? Please reply with this information, and also with the make and model number of your computer. Please also state whether you have 32-bit or 64-bit Vista installed.

USAFRico

Hello,

Here is what you can do. Do an ipconfig /all and post the result in this forum so we can atleast see what IP you are getting. If it is returning all 0.0.0.0 then there is no connection. I would then go into device manager and check the type of NIC that you have. Go directly to their website and download any available Vista drivers for that NIC.

You can also ping your NIC by openign a command prompt and typing in ping 127.0.0.1. If this returns any negative results then you either have a bad NIC or bad drivers.

chesee48

Thank you very much for the replies guys, ive been sick with food poisoning the past few days so when i get a chance i will do all the above and see what i get.....

Thank you again

chesee48

Hi chesee48 and welcome to Vista Forums :party:

Although people have had issues with D-Link routers, I think that we can possibly eliminate that here since you tried connecting through it and connecting directly to your modem. Instead, I think that it could be a driver issue. To check this, click on the start orb and type Device Manager into the search box and press enter/return. Click OK when the warning message appears and then click on Network adapters to expand that section.
View attachment 9330
Do you see a yellow warning triangle or a red cross here (or, indeed, any of the other categories)? Please reply with this information, and also with the make and model number of your computer. Please also state whether you have 32-bit or 64-bit Vista installed.

No such luck. No yellow triangle or red cross on any categories...it is a 64bit
HP E5200

chesee48

Hello,

Here is what you can do. Do an ipconfig /all and post the result in this forum so we can atleast see what IP you are getting. If it is returning all 0.0.0.0 then there is no connection. I would then go into device manager and check the type of NIC that you have. Go directly to their website and download any available Vista drivers for that NIC.

You can also ping your NIC by openign a command prompt and typing in ping 127.0.0.1. If this returns any negative results then you either have a bad NIC or bad drivers.

how can i copy/paste the results from computer to computer? Is the NIC the (NDIS6.0)?

richc46

Vista Guru
Gold Member
I bought a new Dell computer and then got another brand new dell that they replaced for free because they thought something was wrong with it. I returned that one and bought a brand new HP that i still have currently, all have/had Windows VISTA...

After being on the phone for hours and hours with Microsoft, Comcast and Dell, there still hasnt been anyone that can resolve the issues...

I have a Motorola modem thats connect by ethernet cable to a D-Link wireless router, but is only used as a medium to connect multiple computers to that motorola router through ethernet cables.

The connection is good given that i'm typing from my old computer with Windows XP. Plug and play and the internet works no issues.

Can this be an issue with the Modem or D-link router? Ethenet Cable? I can not think of anything else and with the Dell computer(s), microsoft and dell tried everything physically possible to try to un-install Vista, do this and do that with everything. Comcast did say that all their modems are Vista friendly and i even tried directly plugging the ethernet cable from the modem to the computer, bypassing the router and that didnt work. One comment that was made was that i had a bad IP address, which they tried to fix and that didnt work either. Please someone help me! Or im going to have to go with a brand new computer that has XP and not Vista. THANKS!

Just a shot in the dark, but are your sure that your ISP is compatible with Vista?