• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Can't defrag 100% in O&O

Hey everyone, I've been searching EVERYWHERE for help and finally decided to just join a forum and ask.

I'm using O&O to defrag my hard drives. I have 1 80gb for Vista, 1 80gb for installing programs to, and 1 640gb for storage. O&O defrags my programs and storage drives, but my 80gb Vista drive is scattered with locked files and seems to be stuck at 27% fragmentation.

I've tried using O&O to defrag on boot (did nothing), which is pretty much what all the information on the net said to do. Anyone else have any other ideas?

I should mention that I have plenty of free space (50gb free) on that hard drive. Though, I DID try using the /space method first - to no avail.

Tried it and pretty much got the same thing. Though, my problem is now fixed!

To anyone who's interested:

After talking to people in two other forums, I was able to figure out that those "locked" files were part of the pagefile. Since I have 4gb of memory, I just turned it off completely (it's stable thus far), rebooted, and ran an offline O&O defrag at boot time. Now I'm at 0.03% fragmentation :)

Thanks!

I've excluded several folders from defrag, it's pointless defragging system restore files, error reports (\WER), temporary files (including internet caches) and a few others. Unfortunately O&O still rates the drive with those folders included, always showing around 24% fragmentation on the 95Gb Vista partition. So numbers can be meaningless. ;)

You may think your HDD paging file is now off, but if Vista is anything like XP, it will over-ride your setting if it needs extra paging space.

Bare Foot Kid

R.I.P. August 13th 2014
Hello esotericsean,

Welcome to the Forums!

You may want to look at this thread before you decide to leave the Page File disabled!

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/148974-paging-file-why-do-i-need.html

After talking to people in two other forums, I was able to figure out that those "locked" files were part of the pagefile. Since I have 4gb of memory, I just turned it off completely (it's stable thus far), rebooted, and ran an offline O&O defrag at boot time. Now I'm at 0.03% fragmentation
Thanks!

Later :shock: Ted