• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Can't defrag 100% in O&O

#1
Hey everyone, I've been searching EVERYWHERE for help and finally decided to just join a forum and ask.

I'm using O&O to defrag my hard drives. I have 1 80gb for Vista, 1 80gb for installing programs to, and 1 640gb for storage. O&O defrags my programs and storage drives, but my 80gb Vista drive is scattered with locked files and seems to be stuck at 27% fragmentation.

I've tried using O&O to defrag on boot (did nothing), which is pretty much what all the information on the net said to do. Anyone else have any other ideas?
 
#2
I should mention that I have plenty of free space (50gb free) on that hard drive. Though, I DID try using the /space method first - to no avail.
 
#4
Tried it and pretty much got the same thing. Though, my problem is now fixed!

To anyone who's interested:

After talking to people in two other forums, I was able to figure out that those "locked" files were part of the pagefile. Since I have 4gb of memory, I just turned it off completely (it's stable thus far), rebooted, and ran an offline O&O defrag at boot time. Now I'm at 0.03% fragmentation :)

Thanks!
 
#5
I've excluded several folders from defrag, it's pointless defragging system restore files, error reports (\WER), temporary files (including internet caches) and a few others. Unfortunately O&O still rates the drive with those folders included, always showing around 24% fragmentation on the 95Gb Vista partition. So numbers can be meaningless. ;)

You may think your HDD paging file is now off, but if Vista is anything like XP, it will over-ride your setting if it needs extra paging space.
 

Bare Foot Kid

R.I.P. August 13th 2014
#6
Hello esotericsean,

Welcome to the Forums!

You may want to look at this thread before you decide to leave the Page File disabled!

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/148974-paging-file-why-do-i-need.html

After talking to people in two other forums, I was able to figure out that those "locked" files were part of the pagefile. Since I have 4gb of memory, I just turned it off completely (it's stable thus far), rebooted, and ran an offline O&O defrag at boot time. Now I'm at 0.03% fragmentation
Thanks!

Later :shock: Ted