Chkdsk frozen for over 24 hours

Keely

Hi guys, I accidently dropped my laptop (Sony Vaio VGN-NR32L) yesterday morning after closing it and going to put it away. I picked it up and opened it and it showed the "windows closing down" (or something) page and then a black screen popped up and said the following:

Checking file system on C
type of file system is NTFS
volume label is OS
----------------------------------

One of your disk needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel disk check but it is strongly recommended. Cancell by pressign any key

I allowed it run and it seems to have frozen. It has been running for a little over a day now and I don't know what to do. I done a little search on google but really found a definitive answer. Thanks

Here is a picture of where it is frozen on: http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc375/KeelyK82/94a3814e.jpg

My Computer

Welcome
I think that if you dropped your computer and it goes to ckdsk, your hard drive is damaged.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Ok thanks, is there any way to try and get it to start up? Will I be ok letting the battery die and trying to start it again?

My Computer

You can try in safe mode

If you cant get into safe mode, try to boot, but I think that the hard drive has problems. If so you need a new hard drive

If you create a recovery DVD, you may be able to boot to recovery options
Create Recovery DVD.
Hard Disc Controller must be set to IDE in BIOS and Bios must be set to boot from the CD Boot Priority - Change

The Vista recovery disk is used to boot Vista when it won't boot - to run Startup Repair, System Restore, access a Command Line, Recover using a Vista Backup Image, etc.
System Recovery Options. Choose an option tht will not cause you to lose your stuff.

If Vista will not start now, boot the Recovery CD to run Startup Repair which automates System Restore as well as numerous other tests including System File Checker which can repair system files which are not corrupted beyond repair.

If Vista still will not start, try booting into Safe Mode to run sfc /scannow to repair System files.
Special Thanks Given to Seven Forums.

Below is a bulletin distributed by MS to explain the start up procedure when Windows will not boot.
  • Startup Repair. Startup Repair is a Windows recovery tool that can fix certain problems, such as missing or damaged system files, that might prevent Windows from starting. Startup Repair is located on the System Recovery Options menu, which is on the Windows Vista installation disc. If your computer has preinstalled recovery options, it might also be stored on your computer's hard disk. For more information, see Startup Repair: frequently asked questions and What are the system recovery options in Windows Vista? If your computer does not include Startup Repair, your computer manufacturer might have customized or replaced the tool. Check the information that came with your computer or go to the manufacturer's website.
  • Change restart settings in safe mode. If your computer is stuck in a loop where Windows fails, attempts to restart, and then fails again repeatedly, restart your computer in safe mode and select the Disable automatic restart on system failure checkbox. For more information, see Advanced startup options (including safe mode).
  • Reinstall. If no other options have solved the problem, and you are sure that your computer's hardware is functioning normally, you might need to reinstall Windows. A custom (clean) installation of Windows will permanently delete all of the files on your computer and reinstall Windows, so only use this option if all other recovery options have been unsuccessful. After the installation, you will need to reinstall your programs and restore your files from backup copies. For more information, see Installing and reinstalling Windows

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Thanks very much for the help, after returning home from work the laptop is still hanging on the same point like from the picture. I have done a hard turn off and restarted it. I managed to get into the F8 menu and tried to boot into safe mode. Unfortunately it has frozen after loading: \windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys.

I made a recovery disk when I first bought the laptop but is on two CDs and not a DVD. Is it still okay to use them or is better from a DVD? Also I found a few steps from google, shall I try these first or use your steps? Here's the links if you have minute to check. Thanks again for the help it is appreciated a lot:

Help! Vista won't start... (crcdisk.sys)

http://forums.techarena.in/operating-systems/1127074.htm

My Computer

I would start with my suggestion. I know that it has helped many. If it does not work you can always try the other suggestion.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Ok so after inserting the recovery cd and following your steps I've managed to boot it in safe mode. I ran the startup recovery and on the first attempt it indicated that the root cause was the system volume is corrupt. I then clicked finish and after restarting it attempted to boot up but after the Microsoft green bar loading screen finished it just flashed blue and restarted.

A black screen then flashed up and said the following: Windows failed to start, a recent hardware or software change may be the cause. It then took me to start up recovery menu again and I done another check and the same thing happened with it restarting. Upon the 3rd start up recovery check it gave me the following dianosis: Boot status indicates that the OS booted successfully. I restarted and pressed to get into the f8 menu and started in safe mode which was successful.

What are the next steps to take now? Thanks again

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Okay, I'll try the Ubuntu CD after work tomorrow. I've tried to plug in my external hard drive as well but it says that windows doesn't recognise it. I plugged it in a few times and into all the different ports but still the same response. Is this because the laptop hard drive is damaged or maybe even the external one is? Thanks

My Computer

I tend to doubt that both hard drives are bad. Its a computer problem. If you cant install unbutu it tends to show its the internal hard drive.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays