Clean Install From Upgrade Vista

How to Do a Clean Install with a Upgrade Version of Vista

information   Information
This will show you how to do a CLEAN install with a Express or Retail Upgrade version of Vista instead of having to install your previous OS (EX: XP) then Vista. This will prevent compatibility issues between the previous OS and Vista.

Note   Note

• A OEM Recovery installation DVD can only do a clean install. It is just a clone of the hard drive that will set your computer back like it was from day one. The installation process is basically the same though.
  • A Express or Retail Vista can be installed on any one computer at a time for as many times as you like. A OEM Vista may only be able to be installed on the exact same computer as many times as you like. The product key number for the Vista 32 bit version is the same one for it's 64 bit version. You can only have the Product Key activated on one computer and version of 32 bit or 64 bit Vista at a time. See: Microsoft: License Terms for Software Licensed from Microsoft
  • Sometimes people have problems installing Vista with more than 2 GB of RAM installed. If you have this problem, then you should install Vista with a maximum of 2GB of RAM installed and add the rest of the RAM after Vista is fully installed.
Some Common Installation Problems:

Windows Help and Support: KB935806 Troubleshooting Stop error messages that may occur when you try to install Windows Vista

AND

Windows Help and Support: KB929777 Error message when you try to install Windows Vista on a computer that uses more than 3 GB of RAM: "STOP 0x0000000A"

warning   Warning

• If you do not have a legal copy of XP with your corresponding or better Upgrade Vista, then you have violated the EULA and it is considered theft which you may face prosecution for. For the license terms for Vista, see: Microsoft: License Terms for Software Licensed from Microsoft
  • You can upgrade from your current edition of Microsoft Windows XP to a corresponding or better edition of Windows Vista by purchasing and installing an upgrade copy of Windows Vista. Go to this link for details on corresponding versions: Windows Vista: Upgrade Paths from Previous Versions
Tip   Tip
MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR VISTANOTE: For more information, see: Microsoft Windows Vista: Recommended System Requirements

Vista Home Basic
  • Processor: 1GHz (32 or 64 bit)
  • System Memory (RAM): 512MB
  • Hard Drive: 20GB with 15GB available for Vista
  • Video Card: 32MB Memory and DirectX 9 Support
  • DVD-ROM Drive
Vista Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate
  • Processor: 1GHz (32 or 64 bit)
  • System Memory (RAM): 1GB
  • Hard Drive: 40GB with 15GB available for Vista
  • Video Card: 128MB Memory, DirectX 9 Support with: WDDM Driver, Pixel Shader 2.0, 32bits per pixel
  • DVD-ROM Drive

STEP ONE
FIRST INSTALL

warning   Warning
Before doing this clean install, you should download and save all of your device drivers to a USB flash drive, another HDD\partition, DVD, or some other media, to have them handy to make setting Vista back up easier after installation.

1. Boot the computer from your Vista Upgrade installation DVD.
NOTE: Make sure that the CD/DVD drive is selected first in the boot order in the BIOS.
2. When prompted, press any key to start Vista from the installation DVD. (See screenshot below)​
NOTE: You will only have about 8 seconds to press this key. If you miss it, you will have to restart the computer.
boot-from-cd-prompt.jpg

3. Set up your language preferences and click on Next. (See screeshot below).​
Select_Language.jpg

4. Click on Install Now to start the installation. (See screenshot below)​
Install_now.jpg

5. Select Do not get the latest updates for installation. (See screenshot below)​
No_Updates.jpg

6. Do not type in a product key. (See screenshot below)​
7. Leave the Automatically activate Windows when I'm online box unchecked.​
8. Click on Next.​
Product_Key.jpg

9. Click on the No button for the Do you want to enter your product key now? prompt. (See screenshot below)​
Product_Key_Confirmation.jpg

10. Select which version of Vista you have. (See screenshot below)​
11. Check I have selected the edition of Windows that I purchased and click on Next. (See screenshot below)​
Windows_Version.jpg

12. Click on Custom (advanced). (See screenshot below)​
Custom_advanced.jpg

13. Select the hard drive you want to install Vista on and click on Drive Options (advanced). (See screenshot below)​
Drive_Options.jpg

14. Click on Format to format the hard drive. (See screenshot below)​
NOTE: If you have more than one partition on this hard drive and want to get rid of it to make one big drive, then click Delete for each partition. Now click on New and adjust the partition size to what you want, then click on Format.
15. Click on Next when it is done formating the hard drive.​
Format.jpg

16. Follow any instructions left until Vista is finished installing and has rebooted to the final welcome screen on the Vista desktop.​

STEP TWO
SECOND INSTALL

17. When this first install is done, run the Vista Upgrade installation again from within the First Install (STEP ONE) of Vista this time.​
WARNING: Do not boot from the Vista DVD this time. Leave the Vista installation DVD in the CD/DVD drive.
A) Click on Computer in the Start menu.​
B) Click on the DVD drive to open a window with the DVD files.​
C) Click on Setup to start the 2nd install.​
D) Repeat steps 4 and 5 above.​

18. This time, type in your product key for Vista and click Next. (See screenshot below step 8)​
NOTE: If you are upgrading from Vista to another version of Vista, then type in the product key for the new version.
19. Leave the Automatically activate Windows when I'm online box unchecked. (See screenshot below step 8)​
20. Check the I accept the license terms box. (See screenshot below step 21)​
21. Click on Next.​
License_Terms.jpg

22. This time, click on the Upgrade option. (See screenshot below)​
Upgrade.jpg

23. To setup Vista, see the STEP TWO section here: How to Do a Clean Install with a Full Version of Vista
24. Remove the Vista installation DVD.​
25. Run Disk Cleanup.​
A) Check Files discarded by Windows upgrade. (See screenshot below)​
NOTE: These will be the leftover upgrade files, C:\$INPLACE.~TR and C:\$WINDOWS.~Q, that did not get copied over.
B) Click on OK to delete it.​
Disk_Cleanup.jpg

27. Now all you need to do is to activate Vista.​
A) Right click Computer (Start Menu) and click Properties, or open the Control Panel (Classic View) and click on the System icon.​
B) Scroll down a bit and click: Activate Windows Now. (See screenshot below)​
Activate.jpg

NOTE: Now you have a clean install of the Upgrade version with no remnants of XP, or previous OS, to mess you up later.

That's it,
Shawn

Attachments

• thumb_vista_install_logo.jpg
    thumb_vista_install_logo.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 416
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you.
You are really wonderful to post such user friendly tutorials & so much trustworthy.
Thanking you

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS/Dimension 410/9200
    CPU
    ViiV Dual Core E6400 [2.13Ghz, 1066Mhz]
    Memory
    4GB. Dual Channel 4 x 1024 800MHz DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 7950 1GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    UK/Irish flat panel 2007FP 20" Ultrasharp [DVI-D] Black Hight Ajustable
    Hard Drives
    640GB [2 X 320GB] SATA Stripe RAID 0
    Keyboard
    Keyboard&Mouse Dell Wireless Bluetooth & Optical Mouse
    Internet Speed
    8MB/sec
You're welcome Snow.

Thank you,
Shawn

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
Hello Brink,
I intend to do another clean reinstall of my VISTA Home Premium.
1.I would like to tell me if I can down load Apps like Adobe,Flash player,Itune,Real player & McAfee and save it on a DVD disk prior to I start my clean reinstall and can I reinstall the above apps from this DVD disk prior to I connect my self to internet? Will it work?
I own purchase & licence for Acronis True Image Home 11 on line[no DVD]. Can I save this on a DVD and install it during my VISTA clean reinstall?-
If so when should I install it ideally? After the VISTA os installation or the installation of other such as chipset, IMSM,Video,sound,Network adaptor , setpoint for Keyboard&mouse?
Sorry to trouble you
Snow

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS/Dimension 410/9200
    CPU
    ViiV Dual Core E6400 [2.13Ghz, 1066Mhz]
    Memory
    4GB. Dual Channel 4 x 1024 800MHz DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 7950 1GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    UK/Irish flat panel 2007FP 20" Ultrasharp [DVI-D] Black Hight Ajustable
    Hard Drives
    640GB [2 X 320GB] SATA Stripe RAID 0
    Keyboard
    Keyboard&Mouse Dell Wireless Bluetooth & Optical Mouse
    Internet Speed
    8MB/sec
Hello Snow,

Yes, as long as those programs have a installation/setup file that you can save, you can do that. You might also consider saving all of your device driver installation files as well. :geek:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
What a great site & thread. I am currently searching for an answer to my main question elsewhere on your site. But i get easily sidetracked & distracted. So what i'm wondering is: I have a home built system, it's set up with Windows XP pro but i would like to add Vista ultimate (upgrade)-(retail box) as a second (dual boot option). In this thread you did a super job addressing doing a Vista set up as the Primary / sole OS, but is it possible to keep XP as the primary OS and install Vista Ultimate (or premium etc.) as a second boot option?
My primary hard drive is all ready, it's got an empty second partition of 75GB ...or if that won't work I also have another Physical hard drive formatted & ready to go if that is required or better. (I thought about just trying to install it on the second partition as i would with XP except this time using your method, but i thought i better ask if XP will detect Vista and add a boot option). But i'm unclear on how to get the two married up so that when i start the system after the POST screen it will give me a choice of which system i would like to boot (Windows Xp Pro, or Windows Vista Ultimate - or that it would boot XP Pro automatically unless i press something like F12 and then select Vista that would be great as well).

I've dual booted XP with XP before a long time ago but i read some information (unable to find it again) that said my set up would not work??? and that the only way is to Install Vista first & then install XP. Something to do with XP's bootloader not working with Vista been several months so i'm not clear if that was the reason or on the details as you can see?

-Or- To go at it from a different approach, I could simply physically move the hard drives (pull out the one with XP Pro on it temporarily) put in an empty HD in the first SATA position, then use your method to Clean install Vista Ultimate Upgrade on that new hard drive, could i then put the XP Pro hard drive back in the system in the Second SATA position and go into and modify Vista's bootloader (somehow??) to go looking for the second hard drive (the hard drive that has the XP Pro installed). Is that possible to get Vista to recognize an already existing XP Pro like that? That would work out for me as well as long as right after start up it would give me the option of which OS to boot from -OR- let me enter some kind of a menu to select the OS.

====================================================================================================================

On the second install, why do you recommend it be set to "Do not get the latest updates for installation" just curious? I also prefer to hand select the updates (I always install the critical & security updates) but some of the optional updates or device drivers i don't because too often Windows XP would not understand my configuration and by installing the updated drivers would cause problems or even stop components from working correctly (plus the ole' modified computer adage not to arbitrarily upgrade if a driver or program is working just fine & doing everything you need it to or its supposed to)....

Sorry for being long winded but for my understanding/knowledge base, IF i was to check the box to get the latest updates during the second install where i have entered in the product key, would it ONLY get critical/security updates or would it also try & install those "optional" or driver updates etcetera?

Thank you so much... I am searching your site & have about 10 more windows open, trying to find the answer to my primary question, but wanted to put this down on paper (wink) before i get side tracked, and in case i don't find that specific question anwered.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    I've got a number of home built systems & some old boxed units
    CPU
    E6750, E4700, E4400, bunch of P4's
    Motherboard
    GA-P35-DS3R, GA-8i865GME-775-RH Hybrid C2Duo&AGP, IP35-e
    Memory
    3GB DDR2-1000 Ballistix tracer, 2GB DDR500 Ballistix, Various DDR,SDRAM, RDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD4870,ATI AIW: X800XT,XLPCI-E, 9800Pro 9600XT, X1950 XT
    Sound Card
    Onboard, Creative X-Fi, Creative Audigy 2
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" Samsung LCD's, 24 Asus VK-246, Samsung 24"
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 1024, 1920 x 1080, 1920 x 1280
    Hard Drives
    150 GB Raptors, 400GB Seagates SATA, Various IDE drivers
    PSU
    Antec Earthwatts 430, ....
    Case
    Antec 900, Antec 640B
    Cooling
    Zalman 9500, CoolerMaster, Zalman
    Internet Speed
    5000Kbs, Upload 480KbS 8-(
Hello DA1745, and welcome to Vista Forums.

Yes, you can install Vista on the second partition or hard drive to have a dual boot with XP and Vista. Afterward installation is finished, you will have 30 seconds to choose a OS at boot, or it will default to loading Vista. To have XP back as the default OS to boot to, you will just need to change the default OS settings in Vista in Method Two (step 4) in this tutorial.

Another issue with dual booting XP and Vista is that XP will wipe out the Vista system restore points whenever you boot into XP. This tutorial will show you how to stop this though.

I always prefer to do the "Do not get the latest updates for installation" option during installation myself. It make installation go quicker, and I prefer to select my own updates as well.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
Brink (Shawn) I can't thank you enough. I found your tutorial very confidence inspiring!!! I clean installed Vista ultimate upgrade on to a separate HD (not over but besides XP :D so if there's a HD failure i'm still up & running with the alternate OS.
I had a minor hiccup on the second install of some driver/device wasn't properly detected although it was the first time through (i'm on another system so can't list it until i boot that back up). It's something related to PCI, forgot the exact name but it was something i've never seen before. I might wipe out Vista & give it a second try just to see if that's the charm. If i have to go hunting for the driver that's not a big deal but it's bothering me that it found it the first time & won't the second.

I'm working on the Restore disk issue you mentioned (wow how do things like this happen at Microsoft???) --- They make both of these dang it???

I spent a lot of time reading further reviews & information but none were as detailed and went so far.
I think it's crazy that Microsoft mentioned NOTHING on the box about requiring this upgrade i purchased be upgraded within XP or further that it would be requiring and incorporating my XP installation as part of the bargain. Its one thing if they make that WIDELY known like a warning label on a cigarette box but I saw nothing about it until i opened the box (could no longer return it to the store) and read that in the booklet. But i did begin work on a third OS (Unbuntu 8.10). I'm not going to be buying Windows 7 or any more copies of Vista, i'm tired of being punished and paying them for headaches! If it weren't for people like you i would have given up long ago.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Antec 900, Antec 640B
    Cooling
    Internet Speed
You're welcome DA1745.

If you get the name of the PCI device, post back with it. It would be a good idea though to have all of your Vista drivers saved to a DVD or something before installing Vista in case you needed them during or after installation.

Hope it goes smoothly.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
Retail Vista SP1 Upgrade DVD

I have bought the retail Vista Home Premium SP1 Upgrade disk. I have gotten the x64 disk from MS for this product.

Note that this DVD is the SP1 version and is different from the original Vista distribution DVDs.

I am running XP 32bit, I want to install the Vista x64 version. I do not have an x64 version of XP.

I have read the tutorial "Clean install from Upgrade Vista", but I think it may only be applicable to the original Vista DVD distribution disks and not applicable to the newer SP1 disks.

This is the UPGRADE disk and it says it MUST BE installed from a running copy of Windows. Unfortunately when run in XP 32bit it also says Vista x64 cannot be installed from a 32bit Windows. Interestingly you don't find this out until you've purchased the product. I'm supposed to know to ask about this before I buy it?

I have not tried booting from the DVD.

I have read that the Vista SP1 Upgrade WILL NOT install from the DVD (either 32bit or 64bit). Is this true? I'll try it anyway.

I have read that the Vista SP1 Upgrade (MS) wants you to forfeit your previous Windows license, meaning that you cannot (at least MS doesn't want you to) run your previous version of Windows if you install the Vista Upgrade version. This is somewhat of a change in MS license policy since Vista was originally released. Does this mean that if I install this Vista Upgrade, even with a clean install if possible, will it wipe out my XP installation? I would like to keep my XP in a dual boot setup.

I'm mostly concerned that the Vista Upgrade install may wipe out my XP install. Yes I know what you'll say: "Back up your files." That's easy for you to say and hard for me to do.

I have XP 32bit on C:/ and I have an empty partition (M:/) on a different harddrive prepared for the Vista clean install.

I have considered obtaining an "unofficial" version of an older Vista install DVD (or even a current "full" install version) and installing without a key (in trial mode) then upgrading from there.

I have also considered unplugging all the harddrives except the empty one before attempting a Vista install to avoid loosing my XP installation. If I can get Vista installed is it possible to enable the Vista dualboot after plugging my other drives back in?

I'm thinking there may be a problem with Vista seeing its install drive as C:/ when with the XP drive (and others) plugged back in it is M:/ (no longer the boot drive). When Vista is installed where does the boot loader get installed? If there is a C:/ drive, and Vista is installed to M:/, does the boot loader get installed to the (XP) C:/ (the actual hardware boot drive)?

If Vista is installed to the (current M:/ drive) by unplugging all the other drives then that drive becomes the boot drive. Is it then possible to enable dualboot with XP while keeping the drive that Vista is on as the boot drive? Obviously the XP installation would not have been visible to Vista during its install.

I am a software developer and I'm very familiar with XP so don't be afraid of being technical in any responses.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Gigabyte
    CPU
    e6600
    Motherboard
    Ga-965p-DS3
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    BFG nv9800GTX-OC
    Sound Card
    X-Fi Fatal1ty
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 226CW
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Maxtor 1Tb
    Maxtor 500Gb
    Maxtor 300Gb
    Maxtor 120Gb
    PSU
    Antec 650W
    Cooling
    Zalman 9700
    Keyboard
    G15
    Mouse
    MX518
    Internet Speed
    330Kbps down
Re: Retail Vista SP1 Upgrade DVD

Answers inline:

...I have read the tutorial "Clean install from Upgrade Vista", but I think it may only be applicable to the original Vista DVD distribution disks and not applicable to the newer SP1 disks.

I got the Upgrade Vista Ultimate w/ Sp1 (comes with both 32 & 64bit DVDs) and had no problem installing the 32Bit version with a dual boot with my existing 32bit XP following the directions here & elsewhere.

This is the UPGRADE disk and it says it MUST BE installed from a running copy of Windows. Unfortunately when run in XP 32bit it also says Vista x64 cannot be installed from a 32bit Windows. Interestingly you don't find this out until you've purchased the product. I supposed to know to ask about this before I buy it?

Yup, that's what mine said as well but if you read elsewhere you can get into some "theories" of why Microsoft continued to leave this work-a-round clean boot still in SP1 (they obviously know about it & choose to leave it in). But i was also un-aware of the complete change in upgrading requirements/procedures until i popped open my box. SURPRISE, GRRR!!!
But i can confirm that the work around is still fine & functioning in Vista Upgrades with SP1 included as i did it myself just a few days back. I have not seen ANY indication that 64 bit would be any different.

I have not tried booting from the DVD.
I have read that the Vista SP1 Upgrade WILL NOT install from the DVD (either 32bit or 64bit). Is this true? I'll try it anyway.

Just follow the guide. It's tells u how to work around that.

I have read that the Vista SP1 Upgrade (MS) wants you to forfeit your previous Windows license, meaning that you cannot (at least MS doesn't want you to) run your previous version of Windows if you install the Vista Upgrade version.

Correct that's what they expect you to do if you bought the upgrade versions.

This is somewhat of a change in MS license policy since Vista was originally released.

??? Apparently not for the Upgrade versions...

Does this mean that if I install this Vista Upgrade, even with a clean install if possible, will it wipe out my XP installation? I would like to keep my XP in a dual boot setup.

As long as you don't install from within XP and have it write over your XP installation or when using the method reported in this guide, you select a different drive or different partion (leaving your XP partition alone) it won't. Check with Brink or others to make sure there isn't a problem dual booting XP (32Bit) & Vista (64Bit).

I have considered obtaining an "unofficial" version of an older Vista install DVD (or even a current "full" install version) and installing without a key (in trial mode) then upgrading from there.

That's what this guide has you do with the DVD you already have, so no need to go off getting another one.

I have also considered unplugging all the harddrives except the empty one before attempting a Vista install to avoid loosing my XP installation. If I can get Vista installed is it possible to enable the Vista dualboot after plugging my other drives back in?

(As long as the Vista 64Bit & XP 32Bit thing isn't a problem...then just google this forum & others (he has written many threads about fixing the bootloaders for setting things up that way. However, if there's no compatibility problem with simply installing the Vista 64 as a second OS, it will take over the boot file (at least the 32Bit version did) very nicely with no additional work. Although the other method isn't overly complicated why bother making the extra work?

I can't remember b/c it didn't specifically pertain to the type of set-up i wanted...but there were some issues mentioned with 32Bit & 64Bit but i just can't remember what they amounted to.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Antec 900, Antec 640B
    Cooling
    Internet Speed

...snip...
Thank you so much for your response, that answered most of my questions.

Mostly I didn't want to loose my XP, I've had the same XP installation since 2002, only had to reinstall XP once and that was in 2002, the initial release of XP was no good at all and I waited till the SP1 was released. Since then XP has served me well and I don't want to abandon it now.

I think I can use VistaBootPro or EasyBCD if I need to mess with the boot loader, I think the Vista install does overwrite the XP bootloader on the boot diskdrive, but if all goes well it shouldn't be a problem.

So... Why did you choose not to use the Vista64? I want to run the 64bit version so I can get the most use of the 4Gb ram that I have installed. That is if Vista64 will run at all.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Gigabyte
    CPU
    e6600
    Motherboard
    Ga-965p-DS3
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    BFG nv9800GTX-OC
    Sound Card
    X-Fi Fatal1ty
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 226CW
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Maxtor 1Tb
    Maxtor 500Gb
    Maxtor 300Gb
    Maxtor 120Gb
    PSU
    Antec 650W
    Cooling
    Zalman 9700
    Keyboard
    G15
    Mouse
    MX518
    Internet Speed
    330Kbps down

Thank you so much for your response, that answered most of my questions.

Mostly I didn't want to loose my XP, I've had the same XP installation since 2002, only had to reinstall XP once and that was in 2002, the initial release of XP was no good at all and I waited till the SP1 was released. Since then XP has served me well and I don't want to abandon it now.
I think I can use VistaBootPro or EasyBCD if I need to mess with the boot loader, I think the Vista install does overwrite the XP bootloader on the boot diskdrive, but if all goes well it shouldn't be a problem.
So... Why did you choose not to use the Vista64? I want to run the 64bit version so I can get the most use of the 4Gb ram that I have installed. That is if Vista64 will run at all.
Yeah, i know that feeling. I'd still backup your documents and .exe's that you can't install from disk or redownload etc.
Hopefully you won't need to use the VBP or Easy BCD at all unless you want to make XP your Default OS again.

I tried XP 64 bit initially when i built my gaming PC last year and there were a number of issues i encountered with software conflicts so i just wiped it out and clean installed XP pro SP2. I have 2GB installed and a set of 2 X 512MB sticks set to go in if i needed it (3Gb) but until i installed Vista that was never a need, for me. Nothing i did required it, with Vista and some dual HDTV dual recording cards that may change. Good Luck P.S. if you haven't installed Vista yet you might have issues trying to do so with 4GB rather than 2GB (just for the installation).

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Antec 900, Antec 640B
    Cooling
    Internet Speed
Not sure but I think if the install is of a Vista disk with SP1 integrated then the memory issue may not be an issue. It was supposedly addresses with SP1:

-------------------------------------------
Error message when you try to install Windows Vista on a computer that uses more than 3 GB of RAM: "STOP 0x0000000A"

Error message when you try to install Windows Vista on a computer that uses more than 3 GB of RAM: "STOP 0x0000000A"

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section. This problem was first corrected in Windows Vista Service Pack 1

APPLIES TO

• Windows Vista Home Basic
  • Windows Vista Home Premium
  • Windows Vista Ultimate
  • Windows Vista Business
  • Windows Vista Enterprise
  • Windows Vista Starter
  • Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit Edition
  • Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition
  • Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Edition
  • Windows Vista Business 64-bit Edition
  • Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit Edition

My Computer

Hi Shaun, I have a HP desktop that I purchased about 2 years ago that came preinstalled with XP Media Center. They offered a Vista upgrade disc through the mail which I ordered and have had for a while. It is a Windows Vista Home Premium Express Upgrade. Well I bought a new hard drive and followed this tutorial to install vista and it worked great. It changed the boot options to 1.Earlier version of Windows (which takes me to another boot menu with XP MC and recovery console)2.Vista and 3.Recovery console(I guess this is for Vista). Anyways I haven't activated it yet so is it possible to take this hard drive out and put it in a new build or should I activate it and then just put in new build and then follow this tutorial again. Or do I need to uninstall Vista somehow and if I do uninstall will I lose XP. Sorry to be so long winded

My Computer

Hi,

As Shawn isn't online just now, Don't activate it if you want to move it to another machine.

When Vista is installed it generates a unique ID based on the components in your machine. When you activate, both that ID and the product key go to M$. Unless you have an unusual license, your copy of Vista is only meant for one machine.

As long as you have not activated Vista, you could move the HD to a new machine , but would need to reinstall Vista on that new machine.

Hope it helps

SIW2

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Thanks for the quick response. So how do I uninstall Vista properly so that I have just the original XP media center to boot. Can I just boot into XP and just reformat that drive that Vista is on. I won't be building the new computer for a few weeks. When I eventually do put this new hard drive in the new build I will probably just replace XP with some version of Linux and use as server, but I want to continue to use XP on it for now. Or do I use one of the recovery consoles that I spoke of in the earlier post to get rid of Vista for now on that 2nd hard drive.

Edit: One last note, I did enter my product key when I installed Vista but I never activated it. Does that make a difference?

My Computer

Hi,

There is a slight complication as unless you had marked the 2nd hd as Active before installing Vista, then then Vista's bootmanager is now handling booting both XP and Vista.

Vista's boot files, bootmgr. and BCD are on the XP partition.

I know little about XP but if you go into msconfig do you get something like this ?

boot2009-01-20_023110.jpg

If so, set XP as the Default, then delete the Vista entry.

Otherwise, disconnect from the net ( so Vista doesn't activate automatically - which it might if you have entered the product key) then use msconfig in Vista to do it.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/82664-boot-partition-default.html

After that you can reformat the Vista hd.

Hope it helps

SIW2

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Hi,

Just seen that bit about the product key - check under the System window to see if has already activated.

Press the Windows and Pause /Break together and the System window will pop up. It will tell you at the bottom of the window, like this :

ACTIVATED2009-01-20_024107.jpg

SIW2

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
SIW2
Unfortunately the computer is in the bedroom and my wife has already gone to sleep so I can't verify. But I did this install of Vista over the weekend and the next day I remember seeing 29 days left to activate so hopefully I will be able to do as you suggested tomorrow.

:D You have been a great help. I just discovered this site this weekend and am amazed at the amount of great information here. I have already spent way to much time tonight just searching around. Thanks again

My Computer

You're welcome Earnhead.

Keep us posted as to how it goes.

SIW2:D

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0