Solved Clean install Vista activation problem

Hi Jj,

Making an image is a good idea, as Rive points out.

However, if you have the time and inclination, Slipstreaming is quite simple , there is a tutorial here:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/151606-vista-sp1-slipstream-installation-dvd.html

You can integrate drivers using vlite, I would do it separately, after creating the new slipstreamed .iso. and putting it somewhere safe.

Pick up the Vista files again from the desktop ( they will now contain SP1) and integrate the drivers.

SP2 is coming soon , so you will also be able to slipstream that as well, - as long as you have a dvd with SP1 already slipstreamed.

Hope it helps

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Update:
So far, killing services in msconfig didn't work. I am currently uninstalling CS4 to see if that changes anything. If not, it looks like I might be wiping this drive clean and doing this all over again :mad:.

With the upgrade, it gets to the point where it is starting Vista for the first time. When it does, some process is screwing it up and it rolls back to the original install. I just don't know and it doesn't give an error code or give a specific service that's causing it.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel i7 920
    Motherboard
    EVGA x58 SLI
    Memory
    6Gb OZ Triple Channel
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 285
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (2) Gateway 22" Monitors
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1Tb Samsung Spinpoint
    500Gb FreeAgent eSATA External
    250Gb FreeAgent USB Drive
    Cooling
    Thermaltake A-1
    Other Info
    XBox 360 External HD DVD Drive
Ultimately, I still had to wipe the hard drive and start from scratch. I think because I had installed all the updates that were post SP1, it was still causing an error in the Upgrade. Since all the updates were done in one day and there are no time stamps, there really was no way I knew of to decipher which was which. I think under normal circumstances this method would definitely have worked (in fact it had up until Vista did it's first start). I just wanted to thank both SIW2 and rive0108 for their quick responses and constant help. :D

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel i7 920
    Motherboard
    EVGA x58 SLI
    Memory
    6Gb OZ Triple Channel
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 285
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (2) Gateway 22" Monitors