Solved Clicking with a mouse nonresponsive; screen randomly lags and freezes

Hello. My problem with my Vista computer is very complex

Recently, when I login into my computer it takes a long time to load, such as a white screen before the wallpaper loads. In addition, when I try to double-click an icon, nothing happens and i have to wait until about a minute or two before i finally get a response.

For example, whenever i try to close a webpage (the "X" in the upper right corner), nothing happens and I have to keep clicking and all of a sudden, the page finally closes. Another example, i whenever I try to hold and drag a file or folder, it will not let me as the screen temporary freezes. However, I can still scroll with my mouse. It's just that it randomly takes a longer time to click and its frustrating.

I used multiple cleaning software such as CCleaner, JetClean, Auslogics BoostSpeed, SuperAntiSpyware, Wise Registry cleaner, etc and nothing seems to work. I had went through a defragment of my disk drive and it seems that my computer is slower than before.

My disk drive has 185 GB of free space and has a captivity of around 426 GB. I also had deleted some of my larger files in hopes that my computer would work more properly.

I would prefer a newer computer as my Vista computer is about 8 years old, but I am on a fixed income. I would like some tips on how I can fix my problem.

Thanks.

PS: here is more information about my device
OS
Version: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
System Name: Studio XPS 435MT
Processor : Intel Core i7 Cpu 920 @ 2.67 GHz
Memory: 6 GB

Last edited:

My Computer

I seemed to have solved my problem. Earlier, I had downloaded a 15-day trial of a program called RegCure Pro. I had about 2150 issues, including about 200 "System Issues", in my computer. I also had disabled some of my startup programs. I had restarted my computer and I no longer have issuers with a hanging screen whenever i click something. :)

However, I get this popup message "Server Busy’ and the following text. ‘This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy Choose ‘Switch to’ to activate the busy program and correct the problem." Beneath this are three buttons, from left to right they’re labelled Switch To… , Retry and Cancel. How do i get rid of that. At least I now get a response when I click something on my screen.

That said, I would still want some advice and what I could do just in case this problem comes up again. Thanks.

My Computer

Generally speaking, the dangers of "cleaning" the registry far outweigh any possible performance increase. I hesitate to suggest reinstalling Vista only because it is a major ordeal. Maybe run sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt and see what it tells you.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
I had used a program called SlimDrivers and figured that maybe that updating my older drivers might cure my problem. Instead, after updating two of my drivers, my computer crashed and got that nasty Blue Screen of Death! Fortunately I was able to use a system restore under Safe Mode and was able to use my computer again. I immediately uninstalled SlimDrivers because I did not want to take another chance.

As for your suggestion, I would have to backup all of my files if I have to delete all of them in order reinstall Vista. Also, I can't seem to open sfc /scannow.

Again, my problem is more of a minor annoyance rather than a major problem and it happens randomly.

My Computer

Hello again.

I still could not get sfc /scannow to open. That said, I think I found my problem. My wireless mouse may have been the problem all along. I could right click and use my wireless keyboard, but my left click at random times would not respond. I had plugged in a USB Mouse and I could left click with my mouse with no problem. I had hope that I had solved my problem.

My Computer

I agree with registry cleaners. The provide little benefit and often cause problems. I don't even use the one in ccleaner. As for your mouse it is possible that it is going out. Can you try a wired one?

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
Back