Solved computer wont turn on

patch41

Vista Pro
Hi Folks, A friend of mine asked if i could help, He has a compac presario f500 laptop 64-bit with vista, He said it was working fine,He came home from work plugged it in, pressed the on button, It comes on for about two seconds then shuts down, I said it sounds like maybe a loose connection, We unplugged the memory cards and then seated them back in, unplugged the only other connection we could find and plugged that back in, still the same thing, comes on for about two seconds then shuts down, can anybody point us in the next step we could take, thanks.

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Thanks for your reply Rich, just been into the site, and i have my homework cut out for me, i will let you know how things go, Patch41.

My Computer

As always, good luck

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Hi Rich,apparently HP compac presario f500 has been having a lot of problems with this complaint, that they extended the warranty an extra two years, they would replce the motherboard, this was purchased in 2007 and HP's reply your out of luck, So i googled (compac presario wont boot) and it brought me to a forum site where a lot of other people where having the same problem, and one of the suggestions was to use a hair drier, Well my first impression was this guy has lost his marbles, (See instructions in attachment) But this morning i thought i would give it a go, as my only alternative was to replace the motherboard, And low and behold it worked what a pleasant surprise, Another suggestion was to remove the motherboard, and remove any tape and such that might melt and place in an oven at 375% for about seven minutes Apparently its a problem with the solder, well i have had it running all day with no problems, Patch41
see attachment

Attachments

• compac pesario f500.JPG
    compac pesario f500.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 42

My Computer

I really am happy that it worked out for you.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays