Solved Consecutive error codes.

Just tried to update again, 2 tries, 3 fails on KB 2310138 def. 1.225.345.0 error 80070652.
Quick guesstimate of contents of Downloads in Control Panel, maybe 1.5 GB, although there are a few things in the list that don't show volume at all, MS Silverlight, Intel graphics media accelerator driver and adobe reader.
Not reliant on vista, it's more experimental now.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    ?
    CPU
    Intel Core2 Duo
    Motherboard
    ?
    Memory
    4.00GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ?
    Sound Card
    ?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ?
    Screen Resolution
    ?
    Hard Drives
    150GB
    300GB
    PSU
    ?
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    ?
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    ?
    Internet Speed
    ?
Looking around a bit today, i see that Windows Update offers up MSE optional update KB 2310138 def. 1.225.630.0
Try to download/install, i get, failed- not needed.
Look at MSE, current def. is 1.225.630.0. That explains why it's not needed, but seeing as the MSE and Windows Update settings are not set to automatic, how did it get there without a successful install showing in update history? And why is it offered again the next time i go into Windows Update?

Partially explains why i've been having problems with download/install of updates through MSE and Windows Update...

Maybe MSE is set to auto some way that i'm not aware of?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    ?
    CPU
    Intel Core2 Duo
    Motherboard
    ?
    Memory
    4.00GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ?
    Sound Card
    ?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ?
    Screen Resolution
    ?
    Hard Drives
    150GB
    300GB
    PSU
    ?
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    ?
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    ?
    Internet Speed
    ?
...I see that Windows Update offers up MSE optional update KB 2310138 def. 1.225.630.0. Try to download/install, I get failed- not needed. Look at MSE, current def. is 1.225.630.0. That explains why it's not needed, but seeing as the MSE and Windows Update settings are not set to automatic, how did it get there without a successful install showing in update history?...Maybe MSE is set to auto some way that i'm not aware of?
Again, MSE updates itself automatically once per day. To the best of my knowledge, there is no user setting that would prevent this short of disabling MSE. I recently set Windows Update to "never check for updates" because of an annoying issue experienced by myself and others (see http://www.vistax64.com/windows-upd...-removal-tool-returns-haunt-me-june-13-a.html if you're curious). You might be surprised to hear that MSE can still update itself automatically once per day! It is also possible to manually update by opening MSE, clicking the Update tab, then clicking Update Definitions. (But first you should look at "definitions last updated" to see if MSE has already been updated in the last few hours.) If the only reason you boot up Vista is to check for MSE definitions, then there is really no need to check for Windows updates at all (monthly security updates won't be issued until July 12 anyway). However you might want to look at your Update History later to see if the definition update was successfully installed, in light of one of your more surprising statements. BTW I came across another reference to unusual MSE definition update behavior here: MSE Updates Solved - Windows 7 Help Forums. Those fellows didn't seem to realize that a major MSE client update was released on February 23. As in your case, my best guess is that the MSE 4.9 upgrade didn't install quite right, and my only advice would be to reinstall MSE with the utmost care.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
I think i've worked it out. Somewhere, MSE is set to update before a scan. I always run scans, quick and then full, before shutdown.
So, if i've got it right, any manual update that i've done for MSE is probably already installed, hence the problems.
As for the 4.9 upgrade, mine is listed in Programs as Feb 25. Will keep an eye on it but i think this is now sorted.
It's just me doing it all wrong.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    ?
    CPU
    Intel Core2 Duo
    Motherboard
    ?
    Memory
    4.00GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ?
    Sound Card
    ?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ?
    Screen Resolution
    ?
    Hard Drives
    150GB
    300GB
    PSU
    ?
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    ?
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    ?
    Internet Speed
    ?
I think I've worked it out. Somewhere, MSE is set to update before a scan. I always run scans, quick and then full, before shutdown.
There is a setting to check for new definitions before running a scheduled scan that can be selected or not, but it sounds like you are running user-initiated scans. Have I mentioned that MSE updates itself automatically once per day? Obviously it cannot do that if Vista has been shut down for days, but it may do so soon after startup in that case (that would be easy to determine). If you are going to run a full scan, I would say there is no point in running a quick scan first: quick scan only exists because full scans take a long time. But I certainly agree with one thing: trying to install any update that has already been successfully installed is bound to produce an error.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT