Constant hard drive activity causes problems

CGod

I have a problem caused by constant hard drive activity, and, after some research and work on my part, along with some reading, here is what I learned.

First, I ran Ad-Aware, then Spybot, then I went to TrendMicro for a free online scan, then Symantec. I run NOD32 from Eset as my scanner. None of these solved the problems mentioned, although some minor cookies were found. I noticed this problem after installing a Blackberry Storm, but I'm not 100% sure this was the root cause. Anyway, I changed phones again, and installed Mobile Sync 6.1 for this, and removed the Blackberry software, but the problem continued. I then did a system restore, and at this point, the problem disappeared, until the first time I connected the new phone, a HTC Touch Pro. At this point, the problem started again. Finally, the problem did not occur in Safe Mode.

I will attempt to describe the problem in some detail, at this point. The constant disk access would cause the computer to lose focus whenever it hit the harddrive. What this meant for me was every time I would try to access a file located in the All Programs folder off the Start button, the list would disappear. If I opened the Control Panel in the Start list, which on my computer is set as an expansion folder, the open list would "blink" on and off constantly, but I could access it. As to typing anything into the Run Program screen, I too would get about two to four letters typed, then the flicker would happen, and the letters I typed would be highlighted, and if I didn't stop, would be gone on the next key stroke. The only way I could get around this was to open Notepad and type the command, then copy and paste it. As one can see, this became very annoying, but work kept interfering with my time to get this problem fixed.

The files that seemed to be hitting constantly, regardless as to what I was doing were Svchost.exe, Explorer.exe, and Iexplore.exe. They would use anywhere from 2 to 20 per cent of the CPU when they hit. The Performance Monitor showed the Harddrive as using 4MB of read activity almost constantly.

I used a Registry Cleaner to clean the registry, but this did nothing, so I restored everyting back, as I didn't want to do more damage fixing the problem than the problem was causing.

Finally, I I went throught the MSConfig and shut every Startup program and every Service off, then I went through the process of restarting them one at a time until I found the problem. Like my esteemed fellow members, my problem stopped when I shut off Shell Hardware Detection. I too realize this is not the best option, and I would appreciate if anyone could help me out with this problem. I am running Windows Vista Business on a Fujitsu Tablet.

Everything else seems okay, except I can only log on to the computer when the Bluetooth and Wireless Networking is physically off. If I don't log on this way, I get a mouse cursor on the screen, but nothing else shows up, no matter how long I wait. I figure this is a conflict, probably caused by an update I performed, but I don't have time to fix it at this point, unless it is part of the main problem posted.

I had certain files, a driver called lknucmp.sys starting every 2 seconds while computer was running. This was not easy to find, but I located it once, and couldn't locate the method I used afterwards (wife cleaned office, sorry).

I'll post a HiJack This Log to the forum, in case someone with more knowledge on this matter can assist me.

Thanks

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:38:13 AM, on 1/25/2009
Platform: Unknown Windows (WinNT 6.00.1905 SP1)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18000)
Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVCOMSER\LVComSer.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\WISPTIS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ink\TabTip.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Fujitsu Hotkey Utility\IndicatorUty.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuSchd2.exe
C:\Windows\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\chitose\updatenv.exe
C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\egui.exe
C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Fingerprint Sensor\ATSwpNav.exe
C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Utils\FjDspMon.exe
C:\Windows\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Utils\fjevents.exe
C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Utils\FjMnuIco.exe
C:\Windows\system32\igfxext.exe
C:\Windows\system32\msconfig.exe
C:\Program Files\a la mode\Sched\eSched.exe
C:\Windows\System32\mobsync.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink\InputPersonalization.exe
C:\Windows\system32\mmc.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLLoginProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe
I:\Downloads\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - {3049C3E9-B461-4BC5-8870-4C09146192CA} - C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\rpbrowserrecordplugin.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [The Assistant] C:\Program Files\a la mode\Sched\eSched.exe /checkuac
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Kernel and Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IndicatorUtility] C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Fujitsu Hotkey Utility\IndicatorUty.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 9\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FJUPDNV_Chitose] C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\chitose\updatenv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FjStrtAp] C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Utils\FjStrtAp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [egui] "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\egui.exe" /hide /waitservice
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CmUsbSound] RunDll32 cmcnfgu.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATSwpNav] "C:\Program Files\Fingerprint Sensor\ATSwpNav" -run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to EverNote - res://C:\Program Files\EverNote\EverNote\enbar.dll/2000
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: @C:\Windows\WindowsMobile\INetRepl.dll,-222 - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Windows\WindowsMobile\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Windows\WindowsMobile\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @C:\Windows\WindowsMobile\INetRepl.dll,-223 - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Windows\WindowsMobile\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Add to EverNote - {A5ABA0BB-F195-40d8-A5E9-0801153E6597} - C:\Program Files\EverNote\EverNote\enbar.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Add to EverNote - {A5ABA0BB-F195-40d8-A5E9-0801153E6597} - C:\Program Files\EverNote\EverNote\enbar.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nlaapi.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\napinsp.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsnsp.dll
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = jal.local
O17 - HKLM\Software\..\Telephony: DomainName = jal.local
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = jal.local
O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\WI1F86~1\MESSEN~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: ms-help - {314111C7-A502-11D2-BBCA-00C04F8EC294} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help\hxds.dll
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\WI1F86~1\MESSEN~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\igfxdev.dll
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Agere Modem Call Progress Audio (AgereModemAudio) - Agere Systems - C:\Windows\system32\agrsmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
O23 - Service: Eset HTTP Server (EhttpSrv) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\EHttpSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Eset Service (ekrn) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\ekrn.exe
O23 - Service: @gpapi.dll,-112 (gpsvc) - Unknown owner - %windir%\system32\svchost.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Logitech Bluetooth Service (LBTServ) - Logitech, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\Bluetooth\LBTServ.exe
O23 - Service: LVCOMSer - Logitech Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVCOMSER\LVComSer.exe
O23 - Service: Process Monitor (LVPrcSrv) - Logitech Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVMVFM\LVPrcSrv.exe
O23 - Service: SQL Server (ALAMODE) (MSSQL$ALAMODE) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe" -sALAMODE (file missing)
O23 - Service: O2Flash Memory Service (O2Flash) - O2Micro International - C:\Windows\system32\o2flash.exe
O23 - Service: Softex OmniPass Service (omniserv) - Softex Inc. - C:\Program Files\Softex\OmniPass\OmniServ.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\qwave.dll,-1 (QWAVE) - Unknown owner - %windir%\system32\svchost.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files\RichVideo.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\seclogon.dll,-7001 (seclogon) - Unknown owner - %windir%\system32\svchost.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: TOSHIBA Bluetooth Service - TOSHIBA CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Bluetooth Toshiba Stack\TosBtSrv.exe
O23 - Service: UpdateNaviInstallService - FUJITSU LIMITED - C:\Program Files\FUJITSU\chitose\updnvsrv.exe
O23 - Service: @%ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - %ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

My Computer

Back