continuous reboot loop after automatic update

Jackiewar

After an automatic windows update 4 days ago, my Dell Inspiron 1501 keeps saying it is configuring the third of 3 updates, then immediately shuts down, reboots, and goes through the same loop again and again. I have tried system repair and system restore, but neither fixed it. I saw on some geek sites that this is not an uncommon problem, but the suggested fixes mentioned above didn't solve it. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

My Computer

Flavius: Thanks for responding. I haven't been able to successfully complete a system restore. It goes through almost to the end and then gives the error message. I am about to give the computer to the office IT folks to see if they can fix the problem.

My Computer

is it service pack 2?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 @ 4Gig / Titan Fenir
    Motherboard
    XFX 780i
    Memory
    4GB OCZ PC2-8500C5 DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gainward GTX260/216 SLI
    Sound Card
    Creative X-FI Xtreme Gamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell UltraSharp 2209WA 22"
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    western digital raptor 10000rpm sata
    PSU
    OCZ Modstream 700w
    Cooling
    Titan Fenir
    Keyboard
    Razer Reclusa
    Mouse
    Logitech G5 Gamer
    Internet Speed
    8mb
i was just asking because i had the same issue but with service pack 2 , i cant really comment on your issue if i dont know if its the same thing , SP2 has been out a while so you most likely already have it anyway

if yuor stuck in an update loop like that and theres no safemode available then the only way out of it is a reformat there really is no other option , do you have an operating system disc (vista on dvd) a repair install could be an option , but if its anything like the problem i had with SP2 your gonna have to go the reformat route :(

see what your tech guys say .............. i know what there gonna say already ;) office tech guys really know their way aroung an office network but give them an actual pc issue and they will run for the hills ;)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Motherboard
    XFX 780i
    Memory
    4GB OCZ PC2-8500C5 DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gainward GTX260/216 SLI
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    OCZ Modstream 700w
    Cooling
    Titan Fenir
    Keyboard
    Razer Reclusa
    Mouse
    Logitech G5 Gamer
    Internet Speed
    8mb
I really appreciate your helping me with this. I can get into safe mode and have gone there, tried system repair and system restore. Neither fixed it. I wish I knew better what I might do once I am in safe mode. I saw that I can restore factory defaults and a couple of other options, but have hesitated because I am not really sure what I am doing. I do have the reinstall disk and might just do that.

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Motherboard
    XFX 780i
    Memory
    4GB OCZ PC2-8500C5 DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gainward GTX260/216 SLI
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    OCZ Modstream 700w
    Cooling
    Titan Fenir
    Keyboard
    Razer Reclusa
    Mouse
    Logitech G5 Gamer
    Internet Speed
    8mb
I don't really "get into" safe mode. I get the option through clicking F8, and choose it, but when the computer starts to boot up it still goes directly to the reconfiguring updates loop. The start button never appears.

My Computer

oh i see DOH!!

i really dont see any way forward then , your going to have to reformat :(

you could try the repair option instead of a full format first , that way it will repair the operating system and keep all your files programs etc :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Motherboard
    XFX 780i
    Memory
    4GB OCZ PC2-8500C5 DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gainward GTX260/216 SLI
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    OCZ Modstream 700w
    Cooling
    Titan Fenir
    Keyboard
    Razer Reclusa
    Mouse
    Logitech G5 Gamer
    Internet Speed
    8mb
A P.S. to tell you that I reformatted the disk with the factory defaults and the computer is working perfectly again. A lot of Windows updates to install, but this time I am watching to avoid the recent loop. Thanks again for your help.

My Computer

glad its sorted :) a reformat is always the last option but it seemed ypur only one

did the repair option install not work?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Motherboard
    XFX 780i
    Memory
    4GB OCZ PC2-8500C5 DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gainward GTX260/216 SLI
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    OCZ Modstream 700w
    Cooling
    Titan Fenir
    Keyboard
    Razer Reclusa
    Mouse
    Logitech G5 Gamer
    Internet Speed
    8mb
The repair option install didn't work. I am fortunate that the laptop didn't have anything important stored on it so I could reformat easily. Now it is a matter of getting a year of updates installed while avoiding another maddening loop. All of my important files are on a desktop that I prefer to use at home. I only use the laptop when I'm out. Thanks again for your assistance.

My Computer

I hope you have not reformatted (which you did) because this issue has plagued my life for the past two days. Here are some quick facts about it. Anyway. I hope in the future someone reads this so that they don't have to go through formatting again.

1.What caused it? Multiple updates at a time
Microsoft's update problem has existed for Vista users for a while now and the most common factor during these updates are that multiple updates are installed at a time. Try installing them in groups of 3 or 4 manually.
2. It is fixable. If you could find a way to manually remove or rename the SoftwareDistribution folder in the Windows folder. It will say reverting changes but it will actually start. I won't pretend I'm an expert on how to manually do this without getting in to the system but all I can say is DOS from the repair option in the boot DVD. Another option is have a PE version of windows xp (legal copy please) which will allow you to boot in a ram drive so you could gain access to your local drives to do that.
3. Will SP2 fix it? No
I have an MSDN version of Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 2 x86 and freshly installed it on my rig. Did the updates and same thing happened. Formatted again and resinstalled again. Did the updates little by little, now it works perfectly.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    Intel Core2 Duo E2200 2.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    Emaxx IG31-AVL (AMI 1.1 Bios)
    Memory
    4.00 GB DDR2-800 MHz Dual Channel Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Inno 3d GeForce 9500 GT 1GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek 6 Channel On Board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Generic Flat Screen Panel
    Screen Resolution
    1024 * 768
    Hard Drives
    1 Seagate 80GB 7200 RPM SATA

1 Western Digital My Book Essentials 1TB
    PSU
    500W
    Case
    LGA 775 Compliant Case
    Cooling
    Case Fan (Generic)
    Keyboard
    Generic PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Generic PS/2 Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1Mbps DL 600Kbps UL
    Other Info
    Altec Lansing 2.1 Sound System

Nokia 5800 Xpress Music RM -356 v31.0.101
Thanks for your response. I will keep it in case the problem recurs. As you noted, I did already reformat, but it wasn't a disaster because I mostly use my desktop (with XP which has been relatively problem-free) and all my substantive files are stored there and backed up. The laptop is mostly a convenience, and I didn't have any files stored on it. I do think Vista more than deserves an early retirement. It occasionally crashes in the middle of working on something and proceeds to download updates, which is why I stopped doing any serious work on the laptop a while ago.

My Computer

Thanks for your response. I will keep it in case the problem recurs. As you noted, I did already reformat, but it wasn't a disaster because I mostly use my desktop (with XP which has been relatively problem-free) and all my substantive files are stored there and backed up. The laptop is mostly a convenience, and I didn't have any files stored on it. I do think Vista more than deserves an early retirement. It occasionally crashes in the middle of working on something and proceeds to download updates, which is why I stopped doing any serious work on the laptop a while ago.

Well that's swell to hear,
I hope there could be a better update environment for Windows Vista wherein Microsoft would be kind enough to actually prevent these errors from happening. I hope Windows 7 is better in this regard as I'm planning to purchase a pre release Ultimate version which is going to be in tune with my processor upgrade which is also going to basically kill my savings :D

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    Intel Core2 Duo E2200 2.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    Emaxx IG31-AVL (AMI 1.1 Bios)
    Memory
    4.00 GB DDR2-800 MHz Dual Channel Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Inno 3d GeForce 9500 GT 1GB DDR3