Corrupted file folder

Should I try this?
Run Check Disk from the Registry
Through a Download:
1. Click on the download button below to download the Run_chkdsk.reg file.
NOTE: If the hard drive you want to run chkdsk on has a different driver letter than C: , then do the Manual Way below to substitute C: with your drive letter instead.

2. Click on Save, and save the .reg file to the Desktop.

3. Right click the .reg (On Desktop) file and click Merge.

4. Click on the Run button in the Security Warning pop-up.

5. Click on Continue (UAC), Yes, and then OK when prompted.

6. When done, you can delete the .reg file (On Desktop).​

My Computer

I have never tried that suggestion, but it comes from a source that I trust. Brink and the tutorials have helped very many people. Normally, I would say to make a restore point before using, but in this case I cannnot give that advice. I will only say that I trust the source.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I did the Run Disk Check from Registry Download, and still no difference. I ran scannow several times in normal mode and several times in Safe Mode, and still could not repair the corrupted files. I wish I could come up with a solution short of reformating the hard drive. I appreciate all your help and suggestions. If you have any other suggestions, they also would be appreciated.

My Computer

This is my last ace in the hole. Unless someone with more expertise than me comes along, the next step is reinstall or leave it the way it is. This will let you create a restore disc. In THEORY you should not lose anything. If you lost sp1 and 2, which you should not, you can install them again. It is only two downloads plus a few updates. I will not say to use this. I merely suggest it for your consideration. Wish you luck

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/141820-create-recovery-disc.html

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
You are very welcome. For proper thanks, when I get up tomorrow, I hope to see a :) with the words that it works. I truly wish you luck.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I'm not quite ready to show a smiley face, but I am narrowing down the problem. I was able to generate a log showing that the autochk.exe file is corrupted. Here is the file showing that: View attachment sfcdetails.txt Going back to this article:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/130824-chkdsk-will-not-run-startup-vista.html, Step 4 shows how to replace the corrupted Version 6.0.6002.18005. I hope I can muster up enough courage to attempt this. I will try to find someone with a little more computer knowledge to "hold my hand" while attempting this. If, and when, I do, I will post a reply.

My Computer

Morning,

We commented about that tutorial, before and my opinion was that I had hoped for an easier way, well the easier ways seemed to have failed. I agree, that might be the best way to go at this point.

Normally, I would push you to attempt it, but make a system restore point, first. But, I cannot do that. I would be really unhappy, if I pushed you to try, and then it did not turn out the way you had hoped and even made matters worse.

If you try to attempt the correction and things go wrong, I will try to help, that is all that I can say. Wishing you the best.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Aftermath,

Thanks so much for your kind words and rep. I think that you, already, know, that I will do every thing that I can to help. What you do not know is that the entire membership of the Forum will share any expertise that they have. I am glad that you are part of our family, now and will share in all the benefits.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D I woke up this morning and told myself that I had the confidence and intelligence to solve this problem. I performed the operation of replacing the corrupted autochk.exe file with the new downloaded one, and it solved my problem. All now is working as should. Thanks again, for trying to get me through this.

My Computer

Guess what, I am just as glad as you are. I am truly happy that we were able to work together and get this resolved. Come back any time to share your knowledge or to use ours.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays