Create a Recovery Disc

How to Create a Vista Recovery Disc

information   Information
This will show you how to download or create a Recovery Disc for both the 32 bit and 64 bit Vista.
Note   Note
The Recovery Disc created here does not install Vista. It is also not like the OEM Vista recovery DVD that comes with most store bought computers created from the factory recovery partition. Instead it is used only to boot from to repair your already installed Vista. See the example below for the options available from the recovery disc when booted from.
Tip   Tip
This can be useful if you only have a OEM Vista recovery DVD or partition and would like to have a dvd to boot from to repair your Vista instead of reinstalling it. Plus, the recovery disk files are small enough to fit on a CD if you do not want to or can use a DVD.

EXAMPLE: System Recovery Options screen
NOTE:
Using the Recovery Disc you create below, you can boot to the System Recovery Options screen below.

Startup_Repair.jpg

Here's How:

STEP ONE
Replace the recdisc.exe file
Note   Note
If you have SP1 or SP2 installed, then you will need to replace the recdisc.exe file installed by SP1/SP2 with a non-SP retail version below instead for the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Vista that you have installed.
Note   Note

To see what 32-bit or 64-bit version of Vista you have, open the Control Panel (Classic View) and click the System icon, or right click Computer in the Start Menu and click Properties. You will see the bit version under the System type section.​
If you ever run the sfc /scannow command, then it will restore the old original non-working copy of the recdisc.exe file, and you would have to do this STEP ONE section again to be able to create a Vista Recovery Disc.​

1. If You Have 32 bit (x86) Vista Installed
A) Click on the Download button below to download the recdisc_x86.zip file.​
download

B) Go to step 3.​

2. If You Have 64 bit (x64) Vista Installed
A) Click on the Download button below to download the recdisc_x64.zip file.​
download

3. Save the ZIP file to your desktop.​
4. Right click on the ZIP file (on desktop), and click on Open.​
5. If prompted by UAC, then click on Allow.​
6. Extract (drag and drop) the recdisc.exe file to the desktop.​
NOTE: You can delete the ZIP file (on desktop) when done if you like afterwards.​
7. Right click on the extracted recdisc.exe file, click on Properties, General tab, the Unblock button, and on OK.​
NOTE: If you do not have a Unblock button under the General tab, then the shortcut is already unblocked and you can continue on to step 8.​
8. In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows\System32\recdisc.exe. (See screenshot below)​
9. Take ownership of and set permissions to Allow your user account Full Control of the recdisc.exe file at the location in step 8.​
recdisc.jpg

10. Right click on the extracted recdisc.exe file on the desktop from step 6, and click on Cut.​
11. Go back to the C:\Windows\System32\recdisc.exe window and right click on a empty area and click on Paste. (See screenshot below step 13)​
12. Click on Copy and Replace and Continue.​
13. Right click on recdisc.exe, and click on Send To and Desktop (create shortcut).​
14. Move the shortcut to where you like for easy use.​
replaced_recdisc.jpg

STEP TWO
Creating a Recovery Disc
15. Double click on the recdisc.exe shortcut on your desktop created from above to run the program.​
16. Select your DVD drive, and click on create disc. (See screenshot below.​
Create_Disc.jpg

17. Insert your retail Vista installation DVD into the CD/DVD drive, and click on Continue. (See screenshot below)​
Vista_DVD.jpg

18. You will now see this. (See screenshot below)​
Preparing.jpg

19. After a little bit, it will ask you to replace the Vista installation DVD with a blank CD or DVD.​
A) Insert a blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive and click on OK. (See screenshot below)​
Ready_Blank.jpg

20. When it is finished, click on Close for both windows. (See screenshots below)​
Using.jpg
Finished.jpg

21. Now you can boot from this Recovery Disc to go to the System Recovery Options screen in the example above.​

That's it,
Shawn

Attachments

• recdisc_x64.zip
    122.2 KB · Views: 80,796
  • recdisc_x86.zip
    114.4 KB · Views: 144,361
  • thumb_Startup_Repair.png
    thumb_Startup_Repair.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 483
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Brink. I've followed everything here but when I double click on the recdisk.exe shortcut nothing opens or happens. Any idea where I've gone wrong? Thanks Kevin

My Computer

Hi Kev,

Have you got the vista installation dvd?

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Hiya Shawn,

That isn't actually a winpe disc. It is Linux.

http://neosmart.net/blog/2012/introducing-windows-recovery-essentials/

Mahmoud made it. It can still do startup repair, and I suggested he include restoring from the shadow copies - so he found a way to replace the registry hives from a shadow copy using Linux.

Now I remember he said he would let me have a copy. I might get around to asking him for one.

Hello Mike, and welcome to Vista Forums.

Sorry, but a Vista Recovery Disc can only be created on another same 32-bit or 64-bit Vista unless you wanted to purchase one. :(

However, does she have a retail installation disc? If so, that can be used instead.

If it's a factory OEM Vista that came preinstalled on the computer, then you could also possibly do a factory restore to fix it if she has backups of her files and doesn't mind starting from scratch again. If that is an option, then please post back with the brand and model # of her computer, and I'll be happy to see if I can find instructions for how to do a factory restore.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
@kevin,

I am working on a way to create one on your own Hard drive. I have made one already -I just need to knock up a little program so others can use it to make their own.

It will mean downloading a small part of WAIK from microsoft - only about 140mb - the program will do that for you.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Hi SIW2, Ah! No I don't have a recovery disk. Damn! I thought the recovery disk part is after I double click on recdisk.exe though? Should a windo not open after I double click anyway? That's great that you're working on a way to create one. Any idea when you'd have it ready? I may be able to get hold of one too. I'll ask around.
K

My Computer

Kev,

Did you use the 32-bit download in the STEP ONE section?

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
Kevin, The problem with Vista recdisc (even if you mange to get ot working ) is it will just ask you to put the installation dvd in the drive.

It makes the recovery disc from the files on the installation dvd.

If you don't have an installetion dvd - you cannot use recdisc to make a recovery.

That is why I am doing it a different way.

I have it working fine.

My method does need a small download from microsoft - about 130 mb for 32 bit users and about 150mb for 64 bit users.

The program will do that for you - the great thing is you do not need to download the whole of MS WAIK - just a little bit of it.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Just FYI.

MS have a distributor called Digital river. Hundreds of thousands of people download from there - for example, the windows 7 iso's are available for direct download for those who don't have them. Vista is also there, but unfortunately, only the SP1 version - it is possible to use that to make your own Vista installation media, but it needs sp2 integrating and hundreds of updates since then.

MS do not mind - probably because they know they do not contain any activation cracks, and you must have a valid product key (license key ) to use them .

MS also provide a very large download called WAIK (Windows Automated Installation Kit ). Anybody can download that and make all kinds of things with it . The problem with WAIK is a) it is HUGE b) You need to use MS command line tools - which they provide.That is far too difficult for most people.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Kevin, The problem with Vista recdisc (even if you mange to get ot working ) is it will just ask you to put the installation dvd in the drive.

It makes the recovery disc from the files on the installation dvd.

If you don't have an installetion dvd - you cannot use recdisc to make a recovery.

That is why I am doing it a different way.

I have it working fine.

My method does need a small download from microsoft - about 130 mb for 32 bit users and about 150mb for 64 bit users.

The program will do that for you - the great thing is you do not need to download the whole of MS WAIK - just a little bit of it.

SWI2, are you saying that you're doing it differently from what's on this tutorial? Is that the program you mentioned that you're working on?

My Computer

Yes, it's here: FIXED VERSION http://www.vistax64.com/attachments/tutorials/26344d1351269296-create-recovery-disc-vistarepx86.zip

D/L the .zip file. As always, rt click it >Properties>Unblock>Apply>OK

Extract the .zip and you will have a .7z file. Extract the .7z file directly onto your C partition.

( You might need the free 7-zip Download to do that , unless you have it or winrar or similar already )

You will see a folder on your drive called VistaRepx86.

Inside, rt click and run as administrator on the .cmd file .

VISTAREP1.jpg

It will download some things you need from Microsoft ( it is not the whole of WAIK - just a bit ). It will install the mount drivers and make the repair disc for you.

VISTAREP2.jpg

There are some free programs in it already, and it will ask you if you want to include some of others.

VISTAREP3.jpg

VISTAREP4.jpg

Of course, you must have the programs you want to include already installed on your hard drive.

It is not essential, but I suggest you include your disk imaging program , and a good partitioning program .

Unless you already have them, install one of these free disk imagers before you make the repair disc, so you can include them:

Free Backup Software: Paragon Backup & Recovery Free Edition - Overview

Best free backup software. Hard drive backup and recovery, image and clone freeware - EaseUS Todo Backup Free

Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download

and one of these partition managers or perhaps both

Best Free Partition Manager Freeware and free partition magic for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista and Windows XP 32 bit & 64 bit. MiniTool Free Partition Manager Software Home Edition.

Paragon Partition Manager Free Edition - Leading partitioning software! | PARAGON Software Group - free partition software, resize partition

When you boot up the repair disc, it will look something like this:

VISTAREPx86.jpg

VISTAREPx86-2.jpg

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Hi SIW2. I've got as far as "Inside, rt click and run as administrator on the .cmd file"

The grey window opens up, I press Y and return, but the window then says
Downloading to C:\VistaREPx86\BOOTx86.wim
'curl is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
"C:\VistaREPx86\ISO\sources\BOOTx86.wim" not found can't continue
Press any key to exit.

I've opened the Local Disk(C)/VistaREP86/ISO/sources folder and it's empty.
Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Kev

My Computer

Let me have a look at it - I might have made a typo.

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Thanks Kev , I found it.

Fixed version here: View attachment 26344

It will do the 10mb d/l first- you get a little progress bar for that - then it continues like this:

2012-10-26_172949.jpg

You can only run it on Vista - 64 bit users can make it as well.

64 bit users will find the MS recovery tools are bit version specific, however, ALL of the other programs work perfectly - whatever o/s you are using.

I will make a different one for 64 bit Vista users so they can use the MS tools

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Hi SWI2, when I go to run the disk imagers and partition managers after downloading, it says I can't install these in safe mode (with networking). And should install them in normal mode. I can't run in normal mode as i either get black screen and cursor or the desktop with continuously turning blue circle. Is it essential that I run these before continuing? Thanks. Kev

Also, when I look for Launcher.exe it doesn't seem to be in the programs folder. Screen says that it should be in the program folder of my installed paragon app, (but I can't install paragon in safe mode, as it won't boot in normal mode, which is the reason that I need this recovery disk in the first place...)

My Computer

No, any extra programs are optional.

I didn't know if the repair disc creator would work in Safe Mode.

Go ahead and try - you do not need any other programs in it.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Creating a Recovery Disc

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this forum.
I am running through the tutorial on "Create a recovery disc" and have completed item 7 ie I have right clicked on the extracted file recdisc.exe on my desktop ( as instructed) clicked on properties, general and clicked "unlock" and then OK.

The next stage is to use explorer to navigate to C:\Windows\System32\recdisc.exe

However when I do this it is not shown.

Any suggestions please

Finally, my reason for wanting the recovery disc is that I have a dual boot PC with windows Vista and windows 7 ( with the operating systems on seperate HDD's and the Vista disc having the boot file) and having recently purchased the upgrade software to upgrade the vista software to windows 8 I am concerened that something may wrong. I had thought I should look to make a "Boot disc" but I understand it would be better to have a recovery disc

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    OWN BUILD
    CPU
    INTEL
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    DDR2 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 22"
Hello John, and welcome to Vista Forums.

Just as a reminder, a Vista Recovery Disc is not able to reinstall Vista. It's only good to use to boot to the System Recovery Options screen to try and repair Vista with instead.

At step 8 in the STEP ONE section, do have the C:\Windows\System32\recdisc file listed instead? If so, then recdisc and recdisc.exe is the same file, but you just don't have known file extensions set to show.

Hope this helps for now, :)
Shawn

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
Does use of this recovery disk wipe everything and take it back to a fresh install of Window Vista? I'm just asking because I've seen other tutorials where System Restore disks referred to as Recovery.

I like to do System Recovery every so many months just to clean my system up but I don't want to have to enter the product key that you would with a new install of Vista.

That's been my main problem since installing Vista, on Xp I made the recovery disks myself, ran them, and an hour later my system was brand new, all I had to do was reinstall my files.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Compaq Presario SR2034nx
    CPU
    Celeron 351 (P) 3.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    Agena-GL8E
    Memory
    2 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon Xpress 200 for Intel Processors
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC 883 chipset
Hello Buddy,

No. A "Vista Recovery Disc" is not an installation disc, and cannot be used to reinstall Windows with.

The disc can only be used to boot to the "System Recovery Options" screen to be able use those options instead. One option is to do a System Restore, which is not the same as a factory system recovery.

Hope this helps, :)
Shawn

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,