• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Create DVD from AVI using Windows DVD Maker

Hi There,

I’m having trouble creating a DVD from AVI files using Windows DVD Maker,

When I try and Import an AVI clip into DVD Maker I get a message pop up that says file type is unsupported or corrupt, it does this for all my AVI files,

My hunch is that I do not have the correct codec’s, if so does anyone know what codec’s I might need and where to get them from, DVD Maker does support AVI files right ?

My ultimate aim is just to get my AVI movie files onto DVD (for playback on a standalone player) so do not necessarily need to use DVD Maker just thought it would be easier using a built in Microsoft app, but if anyone has any other suggestions of apps that would do this or any ideas as to why I cant get DVD Maker to work I would be more than grateful

Kind Regards

Ricks

ltwally

System 'ministrator
Vista Pro

My hunch is that I do not have the correct codec’s, if so does anyone know what codec’s I might need and where to get them from, DVD Maker does support AVI files right ?

There are several codec packs out there for Vista, these days. The one I use is listed, here: Vista Codec Package Homepage (The website is horridly ugly, but the codecs work - and work well)

Here are direct download links:
32bit: |MG| Vista Codec Package 4.7.3 Final
64bit: |MG| Vista Codec x64 Components 1.5.2 Final

I've only used the Microsoft media creation software a couple times, but as I recall, I had no trouble importing a XViD encoded AVI.

johngalt

Antidisestablishmentarian
Vista Guru

ltwally

System 'ministrator
Vista Pro
Also, be aware that if you are running x64 (and this is for the benefit of anyone who reads the post, not directed at you, rick, as I see you're at x64) you need ***both*** packages. Start out by installing the 32bits package, Then install the 64bit package.
Negative. I only have the 64bit package on my system, and I haven't yet ran into any hiccups. The catch is that you have to use the 64bit version of Windows Media Player and Windows Movie Maker and such.

I know that there are more things included in the 32bit version... but I have yet to find a use for any of them. ;)

Thanks alot ITWALLY & JOHNGALT I will try these out and let you know how I get on, I will install both x32 and x64 just to be on the safe side, if I dont use any of the extras in the 32bit then so be it.

Thanks Again Guys,

Ricks

after reading this i tried burning my avi files using Windows DVD Maker, and damn it, i have no problems at all, why do you guys have all the fun. No problems with Xvid and mpg and wmv either? I havent added any codecs to the vanilla instal of Vista with SP1 32bit except installing the Xvid codec.