Creating ISO images of your recovery disks

carl424

Hello guys

My two vista recovery disks.
Can i make "ISO" images out of these using "imgburn" i really just thought it would be a good idea to have the two recovery disks that i have as "ISO" images, so i can have these on my other computer as a backup copies...

I have been learning about the "imgburn" program, and thought it would be a good idea to get some practice on creating some ISO images.

So if this is fine and ok to do, what would normally happen when i inserted the first disk, would i just cancel out anything that pops up...:D

Windows vista home premium

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Build
    CPU
    QX9650 (black box) [email protected]
    Motherboard
    Asus P5Q Premium
    Memory
    8GB-4x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR 2-1066
    Graphics Card(s)
    2 x ASUS EAH 4870 X 2 (Quad)
    Sound Card
    Supreme FX 2
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Fujitsu Siemens 22inch flat screen
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    150 Gig WD Raptor
    300 Gig Maxtor
    300 Gig Maxtor, (External)
    PSU
    CoolerMaster 1000
    Case
    CoolerMaster N-Vidia stacker 830
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-U12P x 1x120mm fan, 6x120mm case fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    20Mbps
    Other Info
    Audio FX Pro 5+1 gaming head set
Hello carl424,
Take a look at this tutorial, it should explain everything.
Hope this helps, good luck and post your results.

How to create a single layer ISO on your hard drive using ImgBurn - ImgBurn Support Forum

Thanks stoneys-nutz.

Couple of things i am not quite sure of at the moment
(ie. Firstly make sure your Vob, Ifo and Bup files are in a folder called VIDEO_TS

Probably will have to join the forum and ask a few questions

But my original question, is it ok to do this, i do not know if this is a method people use, but is this method generally ok....:D

My Computer

I cant see any reason why this will not do the job, the important thing is that you are backing up your files, which is always a good idea.
If you wait a bit, somebody may come in with a better, or easier way of doing it.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Build
    CPU
    QX9650 (black box) [email protected]
    Motherboard
    Asus P5Q Premium
    Memory
    8GB-4x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR 2-1066
    Graphics Card(s)
    2 x ASUS EAH 4870 X 2 (Quad)
    Sound Card
    Supreme FX 2
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Fujitsu Siemens 22inch flat screen
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    150 Gig WD Raptor
    300 Gig Maxtor
    300 Gig Maxtor, (External)
    PSU
    CoolerMaster 1000
    Case
    CoolerMaster N-Vidia stacker 830
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-U12P x 1x120mm fan, 6x120mm case fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    20Mbps
    Other Info
    Audio FX Pro 5+1 gaming head set
I am using vista ultimate 64, but I would guess it should have the same backup capibility.
Start, Control Panel, System and Maintanence, Backup and restore Center:
There you have the choice of type of backup either to another HDD or Disc; either selected files and folders or entire computer and/or to also create a restore point or points. Explaination help is also availible. If you go for disc of entire computer, you will be using multiple discs.
Don't forget the most important, make a bootable disc, and store it away safely somewhere.
Strong Suggestion: run multiple adaware, malware, virus protection programs prior to any backup to give you a resonably clean backup.
Me I prefer to do backup to a second HDD dedicated to just that, on a schedule.

BTW: VOB, BUP & IFO are used for video images. What you are backing up is data.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Build
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4 Ghz LGA 775 Quad
    Motherboard
    Foxconn P45A-S LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX
    Memory
    OCZ2VU80016GQ 16GB (4x4GB) DDR2 800Mhz Vista Dual Channel
    Graphics Card(s)
    2- Sapphire 10022SL Radeon HD 3850 PCI-e in Crossfire mode
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer H213H 21.5" Widescreen Full HD 1080P LCD
    Hard Drives
    2- Seagate ST3160023AS HD 500GB
    2- Seagate ST31000333AS HD 1TB
    1- Seagate ST310005FJA105-RK Freeagent Desk 1TB
    PSU
    Enermax EG701AX 600W Switching Power Supply
    Case
    Lian Li PC-70 Ext/ATX
    Cooling
    Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro for Intel CPU
    Keyboard
    MS Keyboard Pro
    Mouse
    Intellimouse Optical
    Internet Speed
    3766.5Kbits 470.8KBytes
    Other Info
    2- Incessa IN-811 removable drive bays and 8- removable drive bay caddies.
I am using vista ultimate 64, but I would guess it should have the same backup capibility.
Start, Control Panel, System and Maintanence, Backup and restore Center:
There you have the choice of type of backup either to another HDD or Disc; either selected files and folders or entire computer and/or to also create a restore point or points. Explaination help is also availible. If you go for disc of entire computer, you will be using multiple discs.
Don't forget the most important, make a bootable disc, and store it away safely somewhere.
Strong Suggestion: run multiple adaware, malware, virus protection programs prior to any backup to give you a resonably clean backup.
Me I prefer to do backup to a second HDD dedicated to just that, on a schedule.

BTW: VOB, BUP & IFO are used for video images. What you are backing up is data.

Thanks cwl7454

Not sure on that one , though i think its a little different when you come to restoring the OS

there you have the choice of type of backup either to another HDD or Disc; either selected files

I use Acronis for this cwl7454, and i have a complete backup of the system which is performed once a month, i am not sure on vista ultimate, but it does have more features for backing up than home premium.

Yes also i have a bootable disk, as acronis gives you an option to do this, plus i have a recovery options CD..

Me I prefer to do backup to a second HDD dedicated to just that, on a schedule

Yes, i backup to a external HDD, i don't really bother with a schedule though, if i can i just remember to do it......

Just going back to my original question though, i would be making backups of my backups, and to avoid using more disks, thought it would would be a good idea to have ISO images of the two recovery discs that i already have, on my other computer, and even more so i could create backups of these ISO images on my external hard drive.........

I'll do this later on, really the whole point of me doing this, was to avoid using more disks at this present time, as i could have easily created two more disks using the toshiba disk creator.

But then again i would have four disks, and probably forget where the other two where.....:D

My Computer

Back