Defragment Boot Files - Enable or Disable

ByLine
How to Enable or Disable Defrag of Boot Files at Startup in Vista
Synopsis
This will show you how to enable or disable the defragging of the boot files automatically during the startup or restart of Vista.
How to Enable or Disable Defrag of Boot Files at Startup in Vista

information   Information
This will show you how to enable or disable the defragging of the boot files automatically during the startup or restart of Vista. This is enabled by default in Vista.
Note   Note
When enabled, this can help improve the performance of the computer by consolidating the fragmented boot files to get a faster startup time.
Tip   Tip
If you would like to create a Defragment Boot Files shortcut so you can manually defrag the boot files when you want to without having to restart the computer, then see: How to Create a Defragment Boot Files Shortcut in Vista

OPTION ONE
Using a REG File Download

1. To Disable Defrag of Boot Files at Startup
A) Click on the Download button below to download the file below.​
Disable_Auto_Boot_Defrag.reg
download

B) Go to step 3.​

2. To Enable Defrag of Boot Files at Startup
A) Click on the Download button below to download the file below.​
Enable_Auto_Boot_Defrag.reg
download

3. Click on Save, and save the .reg file to the Desktop.​
4. Right click on the downloaded .reg file and click on Merge.​
5. Click on Run, Continue (UAC), Yes, and then OK when prompted.​
6. When done, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.​

OPTION TWO
Manually in Registry Editor

1. Open the Start Menu.​
2. In the white line (Start Search) area, type regedit and press Enter.​
3. Click on the Continue button for the UAC prompt.​
4. In regedit, go to: (See screenshot below)​
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction
Reg_Enabled.jpg

5. To Disable Defrag of Boot Files at Startup
A) In the right pane, right click on Enable and click Modify. (See screenshot above)​
B) Type N and click OK. (See screenshot below)​
Modify_Disabled.jpg
C) The registry will now look like this. (See screenshot below)​
Reg_Disabled.jpg
D) Go to step 7.​

6. To Enable Defrag of Boot Files at Startup
A) In the right pane, right click on Enable and click Modify. (See screenshot above)​
B) Type Y and click OK. (See screenshot below)​
Modify_Enabled.jpg
C) The registry will now look like this. (See screenshot below step 4)​

7. Close regedit.​
That's it,
Shawn

Last edited:
Shawn Brink

Comments

Gonna do the work to set the Vista defrag utility to defrag boot files, on boot up as needed, when I get a chance.

Thanks for this, I was wondering if something like this was possible, since I don't use Diskeeper anymore.

Hello. I have a little qestion. What mean's "LcnEndLocation"? In your registry entry i can seen value 575821, but in my registry is this value 0. Is this range of space in bytes of the system files on the disk or something?

Thank you in advice

TorchMan™

Hi Torchman,

Well basically LcnEndLocation stands for the "Logical Cluster Number (on the hard drive) End Location" of the files moved by Disk Defragmenter for boot optimization (defrag), and LcnStartLocation is for the start location.

The data within these cluster numbers is usually the prefetch data. The size numbers for LcnEndLocation and LcnStartLocation will vary and should not be manually modified.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

Hi Kiddieboy,

Unless that program had a feature to defrag the boot files specifically, then yes you will. I do not know if it does or not though, so I would play it safe and leave this as enabled.

Defragging that often is just way to often, and may wear out your hard quicker. Maybe once a week if you do a lot of installing and uninstalling of files and programs. It's your choice though. :)

Hi Shawn,
I checked it out and this feature is enabled by default.
Is a registry defragmentor the same as a hard drive defragmentor? What I'm asking does the function perform the same procedure of moving around cluster like a hard drive?

Last edited:
Hello Gnys,

Yes, this is enabled by default in Vista.

A registry defragmentor does the same thing as a hard drive defragmenter, but it only defrags the registry file itself instead of the entire hard drive. :)