Solved Dell 1100 Laser printer driver

I have found Vista forums very useful in the past. This is the first time I post so hope I am doing it right.

I recently reinstalled my 64 bit Vista OS, including 64 bit SP 1 & 2 (which I also saved to an USB drive). Everything seems to work okay except for the Dell Laser 1100 printer. I have been unable to reinstall the driver from the Dell disc which had worked before. The Dell disc goes looking for newer drivers but the installation fails. Windows updates has a Dell update, but this also fails to install.

I have gone to the Dell website and downloaded other 64 bit drivers, but those also failed to install.

Error messages display : Windows can't install DLP 11 kernel-mode printer driver...

OR

….Printer driver not compatible iwth policy on your computer that block NT4.O drivers.

Now, I have looked the SP 1 & 2 files on the USB drive, and there is a compatibility mode listed but I did not make any selection before installing. I was not even aware of that.

I have tried to uninstall the services packs as per MS instructions so I could make a compatibility choice but am unsure which one it should be – Win NT4, winserver 2003?

How to uninstall Windows Vista service packs as a troubleshooting step

but the packs are not listed. They are definitely installed, as I tried a reinstall, and was told they were already there.

Would anyone have any idea what else I could try?

Thanks

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    generic
    CPU
    Intel xenon
    Motherboard
    EVGA nForce 650i ultra
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 pro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP x2301
    Hard Drives
    Seagate, WDC
    Keyboard
    MS ergonomic 4000
    Mouse
    MS
For some reason, the installation finally worked!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    generic
    CPU
    Intel xenon
    Motherboard
    EVGA nForce 650i ultra
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 pro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP x2301