Dell Inspiron 1525 won't boot

welshbhoy

Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 which has gone haywire. I was using it a few days ago when it just shut down for no reason. Upon booting it went to a black screen with a white blinking cursor.

I have tried to boot it into safe mode = not working at all.
I have tried to use recovery console = not working at all.

The only F-keys working are F2 and F12. Neither of which are helping in repairing my laptop.

I tried and tried again to reboot but nothing. I then left it overnight thinking it might have booted by the time I got back to it, but nothing.

Using my daughters laptop I downloaded Hirens boot cd, had a look through that and run an antispyware app. Rebooted and still nothing. Tried to boot from hard drive, black screen. I don't know what else I could use from the disc which might help.

A friend had a copy of spotmau bootable cd. I tried that and running the emergency kit section and then windows recovery I went through each option one by one.However it failed on the registry recovery.

I could have used the registry recovery but I have no idea where the registry file would be, so I left it at that.

There's also an option to recover from an image file. But I can't get it even though there is a Dell backup image on there.

I have the Dell recovery console built in but it ain't happening because I can't access it, it's just this black screen.

Can anyone help in getting me up and running again?

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Bruce ... somewhere in his 40's
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU
    Motherboard
    INTEL/D975XBX2
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 914v
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 1024
    Hard Drives
    2/500GB each ... ST3500630AS ATA Device.
    One is not connected
    PSU
    Rocketfish 700 W
    Case
    G.Skill Gigabyte Chassis
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Other Info
    ATI HDMI Audio
If the excellent information provided by Jacee, does not work.

Try this

If you create a recovery DVD, you may be able to boot to recovery options
Create Recovery DVD

The Vista recovery disk is used to boot Vista when it won't boot - to run Startup Repair, System Restore, access a Command Line, Recover using a Vista Backup Image, etc.
System Recovery Options

If Vista will not start now, boot the Recovery CD to run Startup Repair which automates System Restore as well as numerous other tests including System File Checker which can repair system files which are not corrupted beyond repair.

If Vista still will not start, try booting into Safe Mode to run sfc /scannow to repair System files.
Special Thanks Given to Seven Forums.

Below is a bulletin distributed by MS to explain the start up procedure when Windows will not boot.
  • Startup Repair. Startup Repair is a Windows recovery tool that can fix certain problems, such as missing or damaged system files, that might prevent Windows from starting. Startup Repair is located on the System Recovery Options menu, which is on the Windows Vista installation disc. If your computer has preinstalled recovery options, it might also be stored on your computer's hard disk. For more information, see Startup Repair: frequently asked questions and What are the system recovery options in Windows Vista? If your computer does not include Startup Repair, your computer manufacturer might have customized or replaced the tool. Check the information that came with your computer or go to the manufacturer's website.
  • Change restart settings in safe mode. If your computer is stuck in a loop where Windows fails, attempts to restart, and then fails again repeatedly, restart your computer in safe mode and select the Disable automatic restart on system failure checkbox. For more information, see Advanced startup options (including safe mode).
  • Reinstall. If no other options have solved the problem, and you are sure that your computer's hardware is functioning normally, you might need to reinstall Windows. A custom (clean) installation of Windows will permanently delete all of the files on your computer and reinstall Windows, so only use this option if all other recovery options have been unsuccessful. After the installation, you will need to reinstall your programs and restore your files from backup copies. For more information, see Installing and reinstalling Windows**.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I've seen this problem with 2 Inspiron 1525 PCs now and the answers given here are not the right solution. I cannot get past the scrolling bars (Microsoft Corporation logo) either in normal or safe mode and obviously suspected a disk problem. I cannot boot from the Vista DVD either ! So, I tried the hard disk in another 1525 and ..... it works fine !!!
I replaced the RAM, removed the battery and same result.
This is the most odd thing I've seen. Looking on the web there are quite a few people with 1525s who've had the same problem. Does anyone have a solution ???
Dave

My Computer

Ya could have the computer Bench Tested at a repair shop to find out what is going on, for the average home user, there are only so many things you can do .

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Emachine ET 1161-05
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 LE-1640
    Motherboard
    eMachines MCP61PM-GM (Socket AM2 )
    Memory
    2.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 387MHz (6-6-6-18)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Acer E181H (1280x768@60Hz) 128MB GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 (
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name Acer E181H on NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    Screen Resolution
    1280x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    ST316081 5AS SCSI Disk Device
    PSU
    MCP61PM-GM 9000 NVIDIA Chipset Model MCP61 Chipset Revisio