Desktop.ini files all over the place

truthkid, how do you disable the user icons on the vista login screen. I want them to ctrl+alt+del then faced with the username and password boxes.

My Computer

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sager NG2096
    CPU
    Intel P8700
    Memory
    4 Gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    9600M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung PN50A550
    Screen Resolution
    Primary 1680 X 1050, Secondary 1920 X 1080
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Satalite :-(
    Other Info
    Running SUSE, Solaris, Kalyware, and BSD through vmware whenever the mood strikes
Thanks for that.

I just want to ask you one more thing. Typically how do you personally configure network pcs? I mean in terms of any security settings you use, software, etc...

Do you use AV, Hips, Firewall, etc

The setup I have put together is basically Vista Business, Limited User Accounts, A-Squared Anti-Malware, Onlime Armor, Sandboxie.

I know these are standalone applications but I work with these closely and strongly believe in their use.

Thanks for your advice.

P.S. I have an application I would like users to have but by default it trys to run as admins. Is there a way to get this running under normal user accounts?

My Computer

Thanks for that.

I just want to ask you one more thing. Typically how do you personally configure network pcs? I mean in terms of any security settings you use, software, etc...

Do you use AV, Hips, Firewall, etc

The setup I have put together is basically Vista Business, Limited User Accounts, A-Squared Anti-Malware, Onlime Armor, Sandboxie.

I know these are standalone applications but I work with these closely and strongly believe in their use.

Thanks for your advice.

P.S. I have an application I would like users to have but by default it trys to run as admins. Is there a way to get this running under normal user accounts?

Due to the nature of our network I can't really get into specifics on how we're configured, but we don't use software firewalls, all accounts are smart card only, and we use a server/client method of AV. That generally keeps internals working fine, everything is monitored. As far as physical threats, our port security scheme pretty much eliminates any hope of a computer we don't know about getting on the network, I'm sure there's a break somewhere in the scheme, but thats why we have a few teams that are paid simply to break into our own network.

As far as your network is concerned, it really matters what you find works, and what you're willing to believe works for others. With client based security, you run into the problem that you'll get some guy who knows how to use a linux boot disk and change the admin password and dick around with the template you've set for your clients. I'm not sure how many users you have, and whether they are the hooligans I seem to be providing services for, but if you know the ins and outs of said programs then I don't see how you could be wrong using what you trust and you're good at working with. Actively monitor the network and make sure everything is getting updated. What size network are you working with?

Edit: Also maybe worth checking out is the administrative templates MS has for vista

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...8b-95f9-4bdd-af36-b365d68ec5f6&displaylang=en

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sager NG2096
    CPU
    Intel P8700
    Memory
    4 Gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    9600M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung PN50A550
    Screen Resolution
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Running SUSE, Solaris, Kalyware, and BSD through vmware whenever the mood strikes
This setup is just to help a friend by thankfully its just 5 pcs so standalone products won't cause too many problems. Besides i am only setting up 1 pc, the rest will be clones.

Thanks for the info.

My Computer

Gotcha, good luck

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sager NG2096
    CPU
    Intel P8700
    Memory
    4 Gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    9600M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung PN50A550
    Screen Resolution
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
Back