Determine if your processor is x64 (64-bit) capable

Synopsis
Know if you can upgrade or install Windows Vista x64 Edition
How to Determine if your Processor is x64 (64-bit) Capable
information   Information

Windows Vista has it's own version for x64 processors like AMD and some Intel. Windows Vista x64 Edition offers extra security features and some speed improvements. (for more information about x64, click HERE!)

Now to determine if your processor can run x64, do the following :
  • click Start
  • right-click Computer
  • select Properties
  • open Windows Experience Index (right side of your score)

• Then click View and print Details.
  • When the details shown, Scroll a little bit and find System.
Just like this:

If you're currently running x86 (32-bit) you'll see different from this. But just look at the "x64 Capable" or "x64 System" or something like that.

Then that should be "YES"
I repeat x64 bit capable should be "YES"

If it's set to "NO"
You cannot upgrade to x64.

just upgrade your processor instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

My processor have x64 capablities, can i install vista x64 without problems and surfing on internet??

Thank you, for your help.

Hello Akuanauta,

Yes, since you have a 64-bit CPU, you can install Vista 64-bit. However, to avoid problems, I would check to make sure that all of your hardware devices have a 64-bit driver version available for them first. If they do, then you might go ahead and download and save them to have handy after installing the 64-bit Vista.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

Ok I have a problem I hope someone can direct to the answer. When I click on View and Print Details, after about a minute I receive the error "Could Not Create Details Page". I have removed SP2 and did a reinstall of SP1

This tutorial is partially incorrect. I was running Vista and then i installed Windows 7 and both were 32bit OS. It never said that my pc is 64bit capable. Finally i installed this small handy utility which let me knew that i can go 64bit.
Download here:

This tutorial is partially incorrect. I was running Vista and then i installed Windows 7 and both were 32bit OS. It never said that my pc is 64bit capable. Finally i installed this small handy utility which let me knew that i can go 64bit.
Download here:
Thank you for your answer and link, kind of helps but real concern is why I am getting the error and how to fix it.