DirectX 9 and DirectX 10

alltheway

Lord of War
Power User
I have just a quick question. Im assuming that Vista has come with DirectX10 already installed on it? Correct?

I was wondering if I have to install DirectX 9 on my computer as well to get Medieval II to work since it says that DirectX 9 is required?

Thanks for any help.

My Computer

If I remember correctly, that's the case. I thought, though, that a DX9 came with Vista. Check for the most up to date version of DX9 and install that.

That's what I am going to do when I get home...I think by doing that it will solve my problem.

I just read somewhere that there is a DirectX 9.0L that is made for Vista? Am I correct on this assumption?

My Computer

Looks like this will work for you: Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime

It's an August release and they say it'll work for Vista 64. If anyone should get that right, MS should.

Thanks for the link...much appreciated. Nice system you have there. I have just one quick question that is not really related to topic that I posted. But how do you like your sound card that you have. I recently bought the SoundBlaster Audigy SE, the cheap one and I really seem to like it. Is it a big difference from the X-Fi Extrememe Gamer one that you have.

Thanks.

My Computer

Well, before I had an XtremeAudio. Only had that for a couple months, since I just got annoyed with myself for buying something I thought was an X-Fi but wasn't really. The XtremeAudio is similar to the Audigy SE, as I understand it. Don't get me wrong, I loved the sound quality from it. I just didn't get the extra boost that X-Fi brings and I was expecting. The X-Fi chip is pretty incredible and does a heck of a job. It's unique to the X-Fi series (minus the XtremeAudio).

Still, the big perk I get from the XtremeGamer is EAX sound. Very nice. Another nice thing is that the sound processing is on the sound card now (XtremeAudio leaves processing on the CPU). This gives a bit of a boost in FPS for some of those more intense games (Oblivion comes to mind).

Plus, the software suite is great. They didn't do a Vista compatible one for the XtremeAudio (since it's not a true X-Fi, the X-Fi suite didn't work for it), so I'll say that I'm really liking that.

If you like your Audigy, you might be able to get away with waiting for awhile. I found a good deal on the XtremeGamer, which is why I was willing to upgrade so soon after getting the other one. I'm sure the better cards are even more impressive, or people wouldn't drop over a hundred bucks on them. But I've been pleased with what I've got.

My Computer

Well, before I had an XtremeAudio. Only had that for a couple months, since I just got annoyed with myself for buying something I thought was an X-Fi but wasn't really. The XtremeAudio is similar to the Audigy SE, as I understand it. Don't get me wrong, I loved the sound quality from it. I just didn't get the extra boost that X-Fi brings and I was expecting. The X-Fi chip is pretty incredible and does a heck of a job. It's unique to the X-Fi series (minus the XtremeAudio).

Still, the big perk I get from the XtremeGamer is EAX sound. Very nice. Another nice thing is that the sound processing is on the sound card now (XtremeAudio leaves processing on the CPU). This gives a bit of a boost in FPS for some of those more intense games (Oblivion comes to mind).

Plus, the software suite is great. They didn't do a Vista compatible one for the XtremeAudio (since it's not a true X-Fi, the X-Fi suite didn't work for it), so I'll say that I'm really liking that.

If you like your Audigy, you might be able to get away with waiting for awhile. I found a good deal on the XtremeGamer, which is why I was willing to upgrade so soon after getting the other one. I'm sure the better cards are even more impressive, or people wouldn't drop over a hundred bucks on them. But I've been pleased with what I've got.

That's what I heard somehwere that even thought I bought the Audigy SE that is still uses the processing from the CPU instead of a dedicated processor on the sound card.

Thank you for all the information. :D

My Computer

Back