- How to Correct the Disk Cleanup Shortcut for Vista 64 bit
By default in Vista 64 bit (x64), the shortcut in the Start Menu points to the 32-bit (x86) executable for Disk Cleanup. This will show you how to correct this for the cleaning of System Restore points, Shadow Copies, and Previous Versions to work properly.
How to Correct the Disk Cleanup Shortcut in Vista 64 bit
By default in Vista 64 bit (x64), the shortcut in the Start Menu points to the 32-bit (x86) executable for Disk Cleanup. While Disk Cleanup will work fine from this shortcut for most things, there is one function that does not work correctly – the cleaning of System Restore points, Shadow Copies, and Previous Versions. This will show you how to fix this error in the Start menu Disk Cleanup shortcut.
CREDIT TO: Kristan Kenney: Confessions of a Windows Enthusiast
1. Open the Start Menu.
2. Click on All Programs, Accessories, and then on System Tools.
3. Right click on Disk Cleanup and click on Properties.
NOTE: All other Disk Cleanup shortcuts are correct. Just this one has is incorrect.
4. In the Target: area, change it from: (See screenshot below step 5)
5. Click on Apply.
6. Click on Continue in the Access Denied prompt. (See screenshot below)
7. Click on Continue in the UAC prompt.
8. You should now see this below for the properties. (See screenshot below step 9)
9. Click on OK.
Last edited by a moderator: