Solved Display Driver Failures

Have you gone to the Nvidia site and used the newest version of both OS drivers?

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Dual L5639 // i7 950 @ 4.0Ghz
    Motherboard
    Evga SR-2 // Gigabyte x58a-ud3r
    Memory
    12Gig Corsair XMS3 // 6Gig OCZ Gold
    Graphics Card(s)
    gtx 560 ti // gtx 260-216
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 22" // Headless
    Hard Drives
    OCZ aGILITY 3, 120Gig + Seagate 500Gig x 2
    PSU
    Silverstone da700 // Corsair 520hx
    Case
    Rosewill BlackHawk Ultra // Antec 900v1
    Cooling
    Twin CM Hyper 212+ // Noctua NH-u12
    Other Info
    Acer 8930 laptop with x9100...
I install them like this: First I uninstall the current driver, then install the new one from a thumb drive (previously downloaded directly from Nvidia.) Works for a while, but soon starts having the DDF's.

I suggest not installing drivers through Windows updater.

My Computer

I install them like this: First I uninstall the current driver, then install the new one from a thumb drive (previously downloaded directly from Nvidia.) Works for a while, but soon starts having the DDF's.

If I may butt in, if you are running an Nvidia Graphics Card, you have no need to unistall drivers (providing you are not changing cards), the new Nvidia drivers will for want of better words remove them and put on the latest drivers.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Homebuilt
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x 4 965
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P
    Memory
    4GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 TI
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Phillips 19"
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 1024
    Hard Drives
    1 x 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
    1 x 1TB Sata
    1 x 160GB IDE
    1 x 2Tb WD External My Book Elite
    1 x 1TB WD External My Book Elite
    1 x 4TB WD External My Book
    PSU
    Thermaltake 850W XT
    Case
    Coolermaster Storm Sniper Black Edition
    Cooling
    AC-ALPINE-64PRO ARTIC COOLING
    Keyboard
    12 year old Compaq, cant see any of the letters anymore :)
    Mouse
    Microflacid Sterile
    Internet Speed
    ADSL2+
    Other Info
    My husband and I divorced over religious differences.. He thought he was God and I didn't.
Thanks Fiery. I have also installed directly from the site, without first uninsatalling. Makes no difference. I'm afraid my computer is simply under the Display Driver Failure Curse. Maybe a new mobo would solve it, but then my OEM Vista would not install, I'd have to buy a new copy of Windows.

My Computer

No, you can call and MS 99% of the time allows it due to failed hardware.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Dual L5639 // i7 950 @ 4.0Ghz
    Motherboard
    Evga SR-2 // Gigabyte x58a-ud3r
    Memory
    12Gig Corsair XMS3 // 6Gig OCZ Gold
    Graphics Card(s)
    gtx 560 ti // gtx 260-216
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 22" // Headless
    Hard Drives
    OCZ aGILITY 3, 120Gig + Seagate 500Gig x 2
    PSU
    Silverstone da700 // Corsair 520hx
    Case
    Rosewill BlackHawk Ultra // Antec 900v1
    Cooling
    Twin CM Hyper 212+ // Noctua NH-u12
    Other Info
    Acer 8930 laptop with x9100...
With my luck, I could do all that and the problem will still be there. I'll use the VGA drivers. I'm not a gamer, so why bother with it anymore? I know I'll be the only person on earth using VGA drivers, but then hey, I'll be in a class by myself.

No, you can call and MS 99% of the time allows it due to failed hardware.

My Computer

I'm going to mark this SOLVED. I am content to use generic VGA drivers. I do not believe there is any other solution to the problem. thanks to all who helped out.

My Computer

I think these scores are close to meaningless. My CPU is rated 5.4, RAM is 5.9, and hard drive is 5.4. But my index is 1. Why? Because I use the generic Vista drivers for my graphics card. So no Aero, or serious gaming. I do this because otherwise I have constant display driver failures, because Nvidia and MS can't figure out how to prevent them. I don't mind using the generic drivers a bit, they're extrememly stable, and I've tweaked the appearance enough that it doesn't look too funny. (Please don't respond re: the DDF problem, I already have another thread going on that).

I apologize that we couldn't bring this to resolution and I hope that you aren't offended by this but I am a very direct person. Microsoft is not responsible For driver functionality. I don't think that you realize what it would take for Microsoft to ensure that all the hardware capable of supporting Vista and to do so flawlessly. They have a big enough job just supplying patches. Hence the need to get most drivers from the manufacturer. The only drivers that are built into Windows provide basic functionality of standard devices such as mice, ethernet ports, keyboards, and audio/video cards. Better performance, specialized devices, and additional options of hardware is obtained by using the manufacturer's drivers which Microsoft is not responsible for.

Now your situation is probably caused by hardware as indicated by the existence of the problem on another version of Windows as well as Patonb's post about known hardware issues with your graphics card. Now we were willing to help you with further troubleshooting but you haven't been very cooperative and seem hell-bent on blaming Microsoft who aren't responsible for bad hardware nor driver support. Do you know how bloated and bogged down Windows would be to have drivers for all supporting hardware? What about hardware released after initial release of Windows? How could they account for that? Microsoft cannot be held to that standard and not even perfectly programmed drivers will work with failing hardware.

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
I'm not offended in the least. I'm sure I don't fully understand the issue. I can appreciate what you say about MS not being responsible for the driver problems.

As for failing hardware, my computer runs flawlessly with Linux, including graphics drivers from Nvidia. So I'm not understanding what part of my computer's hardware is failing.

My Computer

I'm not offended in the least. I'm sure I don't fully understand the issue. I can appreciate what you say about MS not being responsible for the driver problems.

As for failing hardware, my computer runs flawlessly with Linux, including graphics drivers from Nvidia. So I'm not understanding what part of my computer's hardware is failing.

Perhaps Linux doesn't use graphics to the same extent as Windows. I can't answer that. You should be able to replace your graphics card though.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
Back