• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Solved Does 64bit machines (Dual Processors) need a 64bit Vista?

Hello everyone,

I don't know if this was asked before, please forgive me if this is just a repeat. I am new in the forum.

Does 64bit machines (Dual Processors or Quad etc) need a 64bit Vista to maximize its capabilities? I noticed that new PCs and Laptops shipped today have pre-installed Vista but 32bit OS . . . why is this? Or does it really matter? Please explain this puzzling mystery to a non-techie like me.

Thanks guys.

I like Windows 95, 98, XP and Vista!!!!!

Brink

Staff member
mvp
Hello Rockrus, and welcome to Vista Forums.

Yes, you get the most out of your 64 bit machine by using a 64 bit OS with it. It will not hurt anything to use a 32 bit OS though.

This article may be an interesting read for you to help explain all of the differences between 32 bit and 64 bit.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

Having more cores in Vista helps programs work better. Some like Adobe Photoshop CS2, CS3, CS4 can use 4 cores for processing. Some games like Far Cry can use 2 cores.

Thanks guys for your responses.

So if you put a 32bit Vista on a 64bit Dual Core; some of the processing units are not utilized since the OS is just 32bit? Are you "short changing" the real capacity and design of the machine? A crude example is having an 8 cylinder car and just using 4 cylinders while driving.

What can you say about PC/Laptop manufacturers putting preinstalled 32bit Vista in a 64bit machines? Why don't they just put 64bit OSes?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Brink

Staff member
mvp
You're welcome Rockus.

That is a good question on why they do not just have the 64 bit Vista installed.