downloaded game plays blank screen

zowie9000

Apologies upfront for my ignorance and stupidity-even this site may be too advanced for me-first one ive ever joined.i am really technically useless so any replies need to be REALLY layman style and basic please. Thankyou.

Husband just bought new DELL studio xps desktop.
i had computer games on old computer.wrote to Oberon asking how do i re download them.they sent back email with download link and registration keys.i believe i clicked RUN,then install.put in key.did 4 games like this before exiting hotmail.
Went to desktop-they werent there. dont know what to do so i went to START-the right hand column said GAMES.clicked on it,the ones that come with the computer were there as well as 3 of mine just downloaded. Fizzball,Star Defender 3 and Prime Suspects. Cake Mania is not there.
**Where do i find Cake Mania? how do i get the icon to desktop so i can play it from there?
I clicked on and dragged the other 3 over to desktop.This worked though i dont know if this is an okay way to do this? but Fizzball and S/D3 had the words SHORTCUT underneath it. WHY? IS that normal?
because i didnt think that was right i started fiddling around and here is where i've really stuffed up.I wish wish wish i had left it alone instead of being so precious with how it looked.:cry:
the next steps are a bit of a blur,i've panicked so please forgive my bad explanations and memory.I somehow managed to get 2 icons for star defender-One without SHORTCUT beneath it.I've tried to superimpose one on top of another thinking it would remove the spare one.i think i did this while it was in the recycling bin? THINK i tried to put it back on desktop. So eventually i'm left with 1 icon with SHORTCUT under it.When i try to then play the game,the screen goes blank as it always does for a second before the game starts but then the game never appears.
I think i must have deleted some components?
I went back to my email,downloaded from the link again,went through the steps but after installation it comes up only with the PLAY screen (as it should when you've bought it) without a registration key section.from there it also wont play.
So again,this makes me think ive got parts of it in my computer but i dont know where or how to get it all together in one piece.
Have i done something really difficult to fix? im so sorry...

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    DELL studio xps desktop
    CPU
    intel core i7-1920, 2.66GHz, 8MB
    Motherboard
    what's this?
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    1gb
    Sound Card
    intergrated 7.1 audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    s2409wfp 1920x1080 60hz
    Hard Drives
    1TB SATA 3.0gb/s native command queing
    Keyboard
    DELL studio consumer multimedia USB
    Mouse
    DELL laser mouse
    Internet Speed
    25GB
You downloaded the file GameHouse-Installer_am-cakemania_gamehouse.exe.

Check you program listings. It may be under "gamehouse".

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    AMD AM2 6000+
    Motherboard
    Nvidia M2N-E SLI
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 7600GT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    WD
    Case
    Cooler Master
    Cooling
    Three fans
    Keyboard
    Dell Quietkey
    Mouse
    Dell Optical
    Internet Speed
    10 MBPS
thanks for yor reply-but even wot you said is beyond me.
YES i know i shouldnt be allowed near a computer.
How do i download that file? where do i find it?

when you say programs listing all i know about is clicking START,control panel and one of the choices in there is Programs. Is this where i look? where abouts? thankyou

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    DELL studio xps desktop
    CPU
    intel core i7-1920, 2.66GHz, 8MB
    Motherboard
    what's this?
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    1gb
    Sound Card
    intergrated 7.1 audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    s2409wfp 1920x1080 60hz
    Hard Drives
    1TB SATA 3.0gb/s native command queing
    Keyboard
    DELL studio consumer multimedia USB
    Mouse
    DELL laser mouse
    Internet Speed
    25GB
thanks for yor reply-but even wot you said is beyond me.
YES i know i shouldnt be allowed near a computer.
How do i download that file? where do i find it?

when you say programs listing all i know about is clicking START,control panel and one of the choices in there is Programs. Is this where i look? where abouts? thankyou

take the file name and google it. you will find a download. Im not a gamer so im clueless.

good luck

ken

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945