Drive letters

bonalymac

As part of my Back-up routine, I connect one of 3 external disks to my PC (via USB docking station) each week, and run a series of copy commands using RichCopy to copy a partition and make an extra copy of my data (primarily thousands and thousands of photos as well as music etc etc). The drive is then removed and stored elsewhere. Next week a different drive is used, and a different partition is copied etc

Two disks are SATA Maxtor 200Gb Seagate 160Gb, one is IDE Maxtor 250 - and currently, each time I connect any of the three drives, it appears as drive "I".

Ideally, I'd like to define each of the three drives with a unique drive letter say "X", "Y" or "Z". Then I could create batch files to automate the actual copying process.

I'm nervous that I do not copy the wrong data type to the wrong disk potentially wiping out for example, my photos. So I need to be confident that for example Disk X is always my photo drive, Y my audio drive & Z my "Other".

Is there a simple way to ensure this.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Home made
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 6600
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster Audigy SE
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung & Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 & 1280 x 1040
    Hard Drives
    Seagate, Maxtor & Samsung
    PSU
    Enermax 500
    Case
    Antc
    Keyboard
    MS
    Mouse
    MS
Hi Bonalymac, You could try,
start,
computer,
right click computer,
click manage,
click disc management,
assign a different letter to each drive as you plug them in.hope its of some help,patch 41

My Computer

Back