Dual Monitor setup for Nvidia cards

Idyll

Might have posted this subject in the wrong forum....

Anyway; I've just installed Vista Business x64, however I do have some problems setting up the Dual monitors.

I have:
On the left a Dell 2005FPW, which is pivoted (to read PDFs and stuff like that easier)
On the right a Samsung 226BW, which set to normal.

However, when I go to the NVIDIA setup, and try to tell which monitor is where and which should be the primary display. The primary display always tends to be placed on the left side in the software.

I want the Dell to be the extended display, while the Samsung is the primary display. But the software (either in Vista or the NVIDIA driver itself) insist on that both the primary and the first mentioned display is the same.

Any ideas?

I made this work in XP Pro, but in Vista it is hellishly annoying to make it work.

My Computer

You might want to try Ultramon. I have been using it on all of my multi-monitor systems (both at home and in the office) for a few years now. I have been using the Vista x64 beta version since it became available in May with no problems. The software is created and maintained by one person (Christian Studer), so releases and patches can be a bit few and far between. But it's free to try and it is miles better at managing multiple displays than is Windows...

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Q6600 quad
    Motherboard
    MSI P6N Diamond
    Memory
    4 x 1GB Corsair XMS2 PC-6400
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x MSI NX8600GTS-OC (512)
    Hard Drives
    1x 150GB Raptor
    4x 500GB Barracudas
    1x 300GB Barracuda
You might have some issues with the Smart Taskbar stuff on Vista using the XP version, especially if you are running Aero (makes the "glass" opaque and does not render the button fonts properly). The 3.0 beta version should address most of them if you find it bothersome . As I said, the beta has been very stable for me. I personally wouldn't consider doing without it on any Windows PC that employs multiple displays - well worth the $40 investment IMHO.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Q6600 quad
    Motherboard
    MSI P6N Diamond
    Memory
    4 x 1GB Corsair XMS2 PC-6400
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x MSI NX8600GTS-OC (512)
    Hard Drives
    1x 150GB Raptor
    4x 500GB Barracudas
    1x 300GB Barracuda
no 3rd party prog are needed here the positioning for your monitors are not in the Nvida control panel but are here Control Panel\Personalization... just drag the moniter you want to move and place it in the right location
like me if you want to put the side bar to the 2nd screen then right click the side bar and select the monitor and side you want it placing and apply

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Me :P
    CPU
    Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Motherboard
    Abit IN9 32X MAX
    Memory
    8 GB OCZ PC2-6400 nVIDIA SLI-Ready Edition (4X2GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMP! GeForce GTX 260² 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 (650MHz/2100MHz
    Sound Card
    Realtek 7.1 CH HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Fujitsu siemens TFT + 32" LG HD LCD TV
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 + 1360x768
    Hard Drives
    150GB Raptor HDD
    500GB Caviar HDD
    PSU
    Thermaltake W0133RB 1200W PSU
    Case
    Antec 900
    Cooling
    Stock + Antec 900 case fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (full layout)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
...Control Panel\Personalization...
So that's where MS put that, thanks.

Even so, the Nvidia control panel I have installed (vs 1.4.900.08 for the 8800 GTS) lets me select which monitor I want on the left and right (Set up multiple displays) as well as separate rotations (Rotate display) and resolutions (Change resolution) for each monitor. And using Spyder2PRO there is an individual color profile applied to each monitor.

My Computer

Don't have an Nvidia card but am interested in seeing how to set up in Vista separate profiles for each of my two monitors.

My Computer

Control Panel > Personalization > Display Settings > Advanced Settings... > Color Management Tab > Color Management Button (opens a dialog window with tabs so that you can apply ICC profiles to each monitor attached to the computer).

This assumes you have some means of producing an icc for each of the monitors, which is usually done with a color calibrator such as Spyder2 or Spyder3Elite.

My Computer

Control Panel > Personalization > Display Settings > Advanced Settings... > Color Management Tab > Color Management Button (opens a dialog window with tabs so that you can apply ICC profiles to each monitor attached to the computer).

This assumes you have some means of producing an icc for each of the monitors, which is usually done with a color calibrator such as Spyder2 or Spyder3Elite.

I have tried to use what you suggest. Although it would appear that you can apply separate ICC profiles to each monitor, it doesn't actually drive the monitors / change appearance in the second monitor.
I am learning that with Vista you need either a graphics card with two output chips, drivers that have two look up tables -- or use two graphics cards.
If there is another way around this, I would like to hear it.

My Computer

Get Ultramon 3.0beta 2.1 (it has a trial period) and see if that suits you - I love Ultramon 3 - it rocks, it is light on resources, and I basically cannot live without it.

On my last system with my ATI x1650 Pro, I would download *only* the ATI driver and use Ultramon in place of the CCC - I hate all things Catalyst. It did the job for me, and almost flawlessly (beta 1 had a small code problem which has been fixed in Beta 2).

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro X64 Insider Preview (Skip Ahead) latest build
    Manufacturer/Model
    The Beast Model V (homebrew)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 965 EE @ 3.6 GHz
    Motherboard
    eVGA X58 Classified 3 (141-GT-E770-A1)
    Memory
    3 * Mushkin 998981 Redline Enhanced triple channel DDR3 4 GB CL7 DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3-12800)
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 (04G-P4-3979-KB)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio (onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 * Lenovo LT2323pwA Widescreeen
    Screen Resolution
    2 * 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    SanDisk Ultra SDSSDHII-960G-G25 960 GB SATA III SSD (System)
    Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1 256GB SATA III SSD (User Tree)
    2 * Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA II Mech. HD
    Seagate ST1500DL001-9VT15L Barracuda 7200.12 1.5 TB S
    PSU
    Thermaltake Black Widow TX TR2 850W 80+ Bronze Semi-Mod ATX
    Case
    ThermalTake Level 10 GT (Black)
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 (CPU, dual 140 mm fans on radiator) + Air (2 *
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (gen 2)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master (shared)
    Internet Speed
    AT&T Lightspeed Gigabit duplex
  • Operating System
    Sabayon Linux (current, weekly updates, 5.1.x kernel)
    Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo ThinkPad E545
    CPU
    AMD A6-5350M APU
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics card(s)
    Radeon HD (Embedded)
    Sound Card
    Conextant 20671 SmartAudio HD