• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Error uninstalling programs Vista32 after virus

Vista HP 32 Toshiba Laptop. Any attempt to uninstall many programs in add/remove list gets an error message: An error occurred while trying to uninstall...it may have already been uninstalled". Then it asks if I want to remove it from the list.

The programs I am trying to uninstall ARE working and ARE still installed. I am pretty sure this is a result of a virus and I'm trying to find the registry key (or whatever) that is causing this. IT APPEARS that programs installed before a given date are ok and can be uninstalled, and anything installed after that date cannot be uninstalled and I am guessing a virus did that to prevent itself from being uninstalled. There was a lot of junk on this computer but all scans (mbam,sas,mse) are clean now.
So if a virus did this, is this a registry key that can be repaired? I'd sure love to know which one it is, I cannot figure this out.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

My Computer

richc46

Staff member
Vista Guru
Gold Member

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Well it was too long ago to try the system restore, May 2012. I have already installed Revo and used that to clean up the junk (12 toolbars! kids!) which might have been part of the problem. I just wanted to return this college kid's laptop in normal working order. I can instruct him to use Revo instead. I would love to get a look at the registry key causing this (or whatever is causing it). But it's ok as is using Revo. Thanks for your help.

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)