Factory Image D, Low disk Space

msdeb

my factory image d is low, i have tried disk defrag,disk clean up.
i don't have another program taking up space on factory image.

plz help with this problem

Last edited:

My Computer

Welcome
The factory image partition is used to recover your Operating System in case of a major problem, with no other options. In essence it is used to reinstall the Operating System. Nothing else should be in that partition except the image of your Operating System. Due to errors, files may have been written to the drive inadvertently. I suggest that you go into the drive and delete everything that is not pertient to the actual reinstallation of the Operating System. You will be able to tell what is unnecessary by the dates that are shown. Any current dates can be deleted. Do not write to this partition, in the future. You can use another partition or DVDs or CDs to write files

I wish you luck.

(per WHS)
D: is your recovery partition with little free space. Nothing should be written on it. It can, however, happen, that e.g. file backup writes data on it if you did not change the target volume. D: is the default volume for file backup. I suggest you go into "Computer", double click on D: and delete all files that are not part of the recovery partition. If you don't know which is which, take a snip and post the picture here. Then we can help you sort it out.
A volume must always have at least 10% of free space, else you get a "low space" condition. It then also turns red in "Computer".
Once this is fixed, you must make sure that D: stays clean - e.g. assign another media for file backup. That can be an external disk, a USB stick of sufficient size or the DVD R/W drive.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
The Image partition is set at the factory and nothing else should be there. If there is nothing else there, I would check my hard drive for problems. Go to the seagate site. If you cannot find it post, and I will give it to you tomorrow.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Yes, that could never hurt.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
factoryimaged.png

My Computer

DO NOT remove any of those files - or you are likely to break the ability of your system to do a Recovery!

That drive is the Recovery drive - and should not be altered at all (on many systems it's actually hidden by removing the drive letter) - small changes may break it complately.
Set the system to ignore the disk space warning, and forget it.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
That D partition should not become too small, unless its corrupted or you have been adding stuff to it. D partition is set at the factory and should not be added to.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
i rather fix the issue than just ignore it, i don't want it to cause bigger issues for my computer

It is NOT an issue at all - so long as you don't start attempting to add anything to the drive or remove anything from it - including the size!

Simply set the system to ignore the drive for that message.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
Please open an Elevated Command Prompt window, and run the following command
REG QUERY "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Search\Gather"
REG QUERY "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Search\Gathering Manager"
REG QUERY "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies"

Copy and paste the results to your response -
(to copy the results... click on the Black/White icon in the top left, and select Edit... 'Select All', and hit the Enter key - then use Ctrl+V or r-click+Paste to paste it into your response.)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
Back