Firefox help needed

Here is an interesting thing, yesterday I made 3 attempts to pay my Vodafone BB account by credit card, all was well filling out the details but upon hitting submit button I was told that internet connection had failed (3 times) and to try again later.
This morning I tried again but exactly the same results so I started up my old lap top which is still running XP and Opera plus AVG free anti virus which I run on both PC, I got straight through filled out details, hit submit and success.

Did you try using a different browser on the Vista PC? If not, then there is no point in blaming Firefox for your internet connection problems. (I wouldn't be using Firefox if it didn't work.) Have you tried resetting the modem that the Vista PC is connected to? Also, are you quite certain that the Vista PC has AVG Free and not a "free trial" of AVG Internet Security, which would include AVG Firewall? (I'm a former AVG Free user who will never go back.) BTW I suspected you were an XP user when you mentioned "Vista SP3" earlier. (I thought Microsoft decided to call that Windows 7 - LOL!!!)

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Sorry if I did not explain clearly.
My main comp is a DELL desk top running Vista, FF, AVG, and I thought Vista was running SP3.
My old lap top is XP AVG and Opera. They both use the same modem.
Both are running AVG free, not a trial.

Regarding SP3 when I check it reads:
[FONT=&amp]Security Update for Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3 (KB3115194)

I was only wondering if it is a faulty installation!
[/FONT]

My Computer

At one time I was running a much older version of a 64-Bit Firefox. Manual installation was required by copying compressed files to the hard drive. Firefox no longer offers a 64 bit version, though you can go into their archives and download older development archives, some of which are 64-Bit versions, however none of the archives list any version numbers. It started to have problems with add-ons and other incompatibles, so I switched to the official 32-bit version.

As far as I know they have only recently compiled a 64-bit version and they only support it on 7 or higher.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
Vistaar,
Thank you for the mozilla firefox support link.
All this talk about Firefox releases made me consider updating my version.
I use the ESR (extended support release) versions which don't necessarily include the latest "new and improved" (and perhaps unneeded) features but do include security fixes.
I update manually "periodically", although the security fixes come out with the regular release versions, so I'm always behind in updates.
Anyway, I had the same issue, I requested the latest 45.2esr (corresponding to 47.0rel) but was only offered 38.5.1esr (43.0.1rel). Your support link explained what was happening. Their direct download link (for advanced users) is one I have used many times in the past, and I downloaded and installed the 45.2esr (47.0rel) without any problems.
My previous version was 38.2esr (40.0rel).

mich,
What exactly was the internet connection error? Some type of error screen from Firefox?
Release 43 was their first implementation of changes for SHA-256 certificates where they would not accept new SHA-1 certs, but a few weeks later they had to backtrack somewhat because in some cases users could not access https (secure) connections! [just a small problem!]
I doubt very much if you have a faulty installation.
As mentioned previously, if you need an alternative (either as primary or fallback) browser, Palemoon is the one.

My Computer

mich,
What exactly was the internet connection error? Some type of error screen from Firefox?
Release 43 was their first implementation of changes for SHA-256 certificates where they would not accept new SHA-1 certs, but a few weeks later they had to backtrack somewhat because in some cases users could not access https (secure) connections! [just a small problem!]
I doubt very much if you have a faulty installation.
As mentioned previously, if you need an alternative (either as primary or fallback) browser, Palemoon is the one.

As follows, and thanks for the suggestion of Palemoon.
Vodafone connection for payment.JPG

My Computer

Caution: Malware Alert

This is definitely NOT the way to update Firefox to the latest version:

Urgent Firefox update.JPG

If your Firefox window is redirected to a strange non-Mozilla URL such as the one at upper left, and you are offered a download with a name like "firefox-patch.exe," DO NOT DOWNLOAD! Real Firefox updates come only from Mozilla, are not .exe files, and are not announced by redirecting your browser. (Advanced users could download the file for analysis, but obviously do not run it.)

Please don't anyone offer me any advice here! I can take care of myself, this is mich's support thread, and it's already bloated with somewhat off-topic chatter. This is just an announcement for my fellow Firefox users running Vista.

P.S. Mich: Has your Firefox been updated to version 47.0.1 yet? Maybe you need to solve your internet trouble first.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Caution: Malware Alert

P.S. Mich: Has your Firefox been updated to version 47.0.1 yet? Maybe you need to solve your internet trouble first.

No, each time I check for updates it shows the window saying I am running 43.0.1 and that Firefox is up to date.
I only get this problem (connection) with Vodafone when on my desktop, all other CC payments are OK but that does not explain why FF is not updating.
I could do a full DELL restore which puts computer back to factory condition and then do a FF install but that is a last resort as it takes a couple of days to get all the updates installed, I do have an external back up of files etc.
If it is a modem connection problem I am at a loss to know what it could be.

My Computer

Regarding FF not updating:
Either FF cannot, or does not, check your system to be sure that the SHA-256 certs can be handled, so for XP and Vista users, the highest offered version is 43.
Even though the support page said you should be able to perform an update once you're on 43, that doesn't seem to be the case for you. Every FF support page about this topic says something like "if the update doesn't work...", acknowledging that possibility.
I think you need to just move on and update manually.

Regarding the connection reset screen:
I too have gotten that screen on occasion, both in FF and Palemoon.
There are probably a number of situations that cause it.
For example, it could be a problem with a rapid-fire double redirect by the web site:
the redirect happens too fast, such that the header isn't completely sent before it redirects again, which breaks the existing connection for the initial redirect, causing the "connection reset" error (this possible explanation comes from a Palemoon forum topic).
Whenever I've received this screen, the connection worked when I tried again.

My Computer

Another pop up as I was checking my email saying FF cannot tell if an update is required etc so I followed instructions but the new window (below) never showed update as loading even after 30 min it just sat there staring at me.
[FONT=&amp]Regarding manual updating if you mean from FF to (?) then (about FF) yes I have done that time after time with no results.

Latest pop up FF.JPG[/FONT]

My Computer

[FONT=&amp]Regarding manual updating if you mean from FF to (?) then (about FF) yes I have done that time after time with no results.
[/FONT]
No, this is not what I mean, we know it doesn't work.
I'm referring to the Mozilla support page listed in post #10.
Did you go to that page?
In the shaded window labeled "For Advanced Users", use one of the provided links to follow the directory paths and directly download the installer file for any release you want.
I used the first link, which is what I always do anyway to upgrade; that is, I don't use the FF dialog box from the help popup.

My Computer

As far as I know they have only recently compiled a 64-bit version and they only support it on 7 or higher.

I think it may have been a 32-bit version that supported 64-bit. I remember reading from the compressed archive of 64-bit support. where the previous versions were strictly 32-bit.

IIRC it's a Nightly version 29.xxxx so your're correct there is no true 64-bit Firefox other than developed for Windows 7 and higher 64-bit OS.

If you want to install a Nightly build (which are for testing purposes). The most recent Nightly 32-bit build is currently at version 50.xxx. There are archives with earlier versions, some of which won't have an installer. For the 29.xxx Nightly version I just extracted the compressed files to my hard drive. I can't recall exactly but remember earlier 29.xxx versions didn't include any 64-bit code. Deleveoped back during Windows XP and Vista 32 and 64-bit OS, before Windows 7.

https://nightly.mozilla.org/

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Thinkcentre
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 CPU 2.67 Ghz
    Motherboard
    OEM
    Memory
    4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080p
Did you uninstall Firefox from your Vista VM to investigate? If so, let us know if you have any difficulty updating from 43 to 47. I tested the main download page using IE 9, and of course it offered me 43.0.1.

This policy seems somewhat discriminatory, because I'm pretty sure that unpatched Windows 7 also could not support SHA-256 signing certificates. There seems to be a presumption that Vista systems are less likely to be updated - which might be true, if only because of the difficulties with Windows Update that began last summer. I have also found that Windows 7 received further updates that Vista did not get. (This link is only for the very curious, not for OP's problem: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/3033929.) I'm getting in over my head, but this might help to explain why software vendors are dropping Vista like a hot potato, and maybe even why it's so difficult to check for Windows kernel mode driver updates these days.

I had no problems installing/updating FF on a brand new Vista sp2 VM. Strangely enough though the website never gave me a download option for 47.

I think it may have been a 32-bit version that supported 64-bit. I remember reading from the compressed archive of 64-bit support. where the previous versions were strictly 32-bit.

IIRC it's a Nightly version 29.xxxx so your're correct there is no true 64-bit Firefox other than developed for Windows 7 and higher 64-bit OS.

If you want to install a Nightly build (which are for testing purposes). The most recent Nightly 32-bit build is currently at version 50.xxx. There are archives with earlier versions, some of which won't have an installer. For the 29.xxx Nightly version I just extracted the compressed files to my hard drive. I can't recall exactly but remember earlier 29.xxx versions didn't include any 64-bit code. Deleveoped back during Windows XP and Vista 32 and 64-bit OS, before Windows 7.

https://nightly.mozilla.org/

I do not recommend nightly for the average user especially for someone already experiencing difficulty with Firefox.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
I do not recommend nightly for the average user especially for someone already experiencing difficulty with Firefox.

I don't recommend Nightly over a regular Firefox, that's why included in the comment that it's available for testing purposes. The Nightly website states it's for testing purposes only. The Nightly installation does not replace your currently installed regular Firefox. It's installed as a separate browser with an option to have it become your default browser.

That said, I'm currently running Nightly without any problems. During installation it imports your bookmarks and add-ons from your regular Firefox installation. So far has worked at least as well as my regular Firefox 32-bit installation.

Here's a download link to Firefox 47.0.1 with release notes and changelog.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/47.0.1/releasenotes/

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Thinkcentre
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 CPU 2.67 Ghz
    Motherboard
    OEM
    Memory
    4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080p
Vistaar
[FONT=&amp]I'm referring to the Mozilla support page listed in post #10.
Did you go to that page?
In the shaded window labeled "For Advanced Users", use one of the provided links to follow the directory paths and directly download the installer file for any release you want.
I used the first link, which is what I always do anyway to upgrade; that is, I don't use the FF dialog box from the help popup.[quote/]

@Vistaar I am getting there, [/FONT] OK I went to the support page and then the “for advanced users” section.
Selected the first option and then the release 47.0.1/ windows 32. = 80.0 mb
Downloaded file, extracted files from zip folder.
[FONT=&amp]So far so good, but I cannot get it to run/install ?? There is no “run as administrater” when right click. It is sdk file not exe??[/FONT]

My Computer

I had another pop up from FF as below:

Latest pop up from Firefox 9.8.16.JPG

I have checked and find that I am back withversion 43.0.1 ??? why oh why do I get these problems with FF I was runningversion 47 and things going smoothly if a little slow and now find myself backto square one again and done without my knowledge, I will remove 43 andreinstall 47.

My Computer

We really never did resolve the updating issue where FF wants to be on 43.0.1.
We instead bypassed the problem and updated manually.
Make sure Firefox automatic updating is off so it doesn't do this to you again.
In the future you'll have to check and update manually.

My Computer

I will remove 43 and reinstall 47.
The latest Firefox version is currently 48.0: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/48.0/releasenotes/. (My faith in Mozilla's commitment to older operating systems was shaken by their decision to drop support for the same Mac OS X versions that Google Chrome dumped in April.) I'm sorry to hear that you are still unable to update in the usual way. The update setting that virtual6 mentioned can be found under Options > Advanced.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT