Flashing off and on

hogarth27

I don't know who's to blame. For about a month now, after I've been sitting here a while, the screen goes black. For the next two or three minutes the screen will flash on for a millisecond, and gradually the frequency will lengthen, and then up to 12 minutes later back to normal. (HP Pavillion bought Nov 07, Vista Home Premium, AgNeovo F=17.)
Last week I thought it might need a new screen driver, so I got one, and for two days no flashes.
My other big problem is everything seems to be on a hair-trigger.
I'll want to click on whatever, and a box of choices or warning pops up, and I have to hit Escape to get rid of it.
I think that's related to the computer taking to where it wants to go, or refuses to go anywhere.
Latest example: I enter the forum and click on Post New Thread. It opens the window I'm looking at. I try to type my title. but when I touched the first letter, I am flashed back to Pre-Post new thread.
I finally typed it to a note pad, copied and pasted to get those words in.
Another program takes be back instead of forward, etc..

Any ideas appreciated.

zigzag3143

Banned
hogarth

It may be a s simple as a mouse driver that is set to be too sensitive. the monitor might be set to blank.

lets go look. go into device manager (type that in search) go to monitor and see if the driver is installed and working properly. If it isnt there or if there is a yellow triangle on it means the driver needs to be re-installed. do the same with mouse, video, keyboard, etc.

If there are any "unknown devices" (with yellow triangles on them need drivers.
let us know the results

ken

zigzag3143

Banned
hogarth

Ok so the drivers are all in and working.

whats the power set up like? sleep, hibernate, monitor off after, screen saver after?

lemur

Vista Guru
Gold Member
Just for the heck of it, stick another monitor on and see if it pulls the same (stuff).

hogarth27

Just for the heck of it, stick another monitor on and see if it pulls the same (stuff).

could you bring me a spare monitor? Nope, I don't have one.

This so far has reminded me of other or related problems, and one I had on this board months ago, and yesterday.
Being on page one, I clicked to go to page 2 and landed on page 219 or some such page.

didn't tonight.

Can't remember the other one. Later.