From 32.. to 64.

AvengeX

Hey guys,
A few days ago my dad took me on a bit of a shopping spree and we ended up buying a new computer for me. I managed to get my hands on one of the last computers selling a relatively good spec with Vista on for a good price.

It's a Compaq Presario with an Athlon 64 CPU, but I just found out it's running a 32 bit operating system. This is pretty annoying, because my other computer is a Sempron 64 and it's running 32 bit XP as well. I'm annoyed mostly because of the money spent on a 64 bit chip and neither of my computers are harnessing the full potential and power is being wasted.

I've recently read that you can't upgrade a 32bit Vista OS to a 64bit one. Is this true? And if so, are there any ways around it? I've also read that the key that was purchased with the computer (the OS was preinstalled) can be used on both 64bit and 32bit editions. Is that true as well?

If so, where can I get my hands on a legit copy for free where I can then enter the key and get rolling again?

My Computer

I tried upgrading XP Professional 32bit to Vista Ultimate 64 bit, wouldnt let me install via an upgrade (even though I bought the upgrade version) it did let me install by full install....

My Computer

I think this is an issue about whether 64 bit is better than 32 bit. Running 32 bit windows doesn't mean you are wasting the CPU's potential or anything.
Do you have more than 4 GB memory?
For most applications, there are no benefits of going to 64 bit mode. Most 64 bit applications are because they need to utilize more ram.
I think it is okay to stay with what you have.

My Computer

Hi AvengeX,

Yes, you can go from a 32 to 64 bit using the same PID # from the 32. However, only the Home Basic version cannot be upgraded to 64 & Ultimate version comes with it. You can get a legal copy of the 64-bit DVD at Microsoft for $9.99 (S&H only). You'll need your PID # at the site to order. Here's the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx

Just follow site's directions & you should receive it (at least I did) in a couple of weeks.

Shawn

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
I did this, I bought Vista Home Premium (came only with 32-bit version) i found out i had to call a phone number, got re-directd 4-500 times, finally gave windows my credit card to pay $10 for the 64 bit CD, which i think is a scam because i just paid for it. Then i installed 64 bit but it has to be a fresh install as far as i'm aware.

As far as performance is concerned, I notice a small bit (games mostly) but its also annoying becase certain things aren't compatible with 64 bit and when you open the task manager about half my programs are running in emulated 32-bit mode. I also can't find a 64 based antivirus of firewall (Norton 360 doesn't count because its not really 64 bit, its just compatible)

But i'm happy because I know that my x2 3800 @ 2300GHz is making love with the 64 bit windows.

Sry bout the rant and goodluck.

My Computer

I did this, I bought Vista Home Premium (came only with 32-bit version) i found out i had to call a phone number, got re-directd 4-500 times, finally gave windows my credit card to pay $10 for the 64 bit CD, which i think is a scam because i just paid for it. Then i installed 64 bit but it has to be a fresh install as far as i'm aware.

As far as performance is concerned, I notice a small bit (games mostly) but its also annoying becase certain things aren't compatible with 64 bit and when you open the task manager about half my programs are running in emulated 32-bit mode. I also can't find a 64 based antivirus of firewall (Norton 360 doesn't count because its not really 64 bit, its just compatible)

But i'm happy because I know that my x2 3800 @ 2300GHz is making love with the 64 bit windows.

Sry bout the rant and goodluck.

Hi Schwizer,

Glad to hear you got it. Yeah, 64-bit isn't supported as much as the 32-bit, but it's gaining more & more support every day. Just keep checking for updated drivers. Sometimes, if you can't find a driver for 64 Vista & there isn't a default one from Vista you can get a 64 XP to work for the time being until a upgrade. This is what I had to do for my webcam.

Here's a link for a free Anti-Virus program : (Read user reviews to help make your decision)
(AVG or Avast Home Edition are good choices, I use the Avast)

http://www.download.com/3150-2239_4-0-1-0.html?qt=&rows=10&start=0&operatingSystemId=8525433&licenseTypeId=49&fileSize=&ca=

Here's a link for 64-bit Windows (XP or Vista) that will help keep you up to date on compatible drivers, programs, & news :

http://www.start64.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Welcome to the 64-bit club. It's a rough road, but it'll smooth out as you keep going. So far I haven't had many problems that were not easily rectified.

Shawn

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS