• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Browsers & Email Full Screen F11 - Enable or Disable Auto-Hide

Brink

Staff member
mvp
Full Screen F11 - Enable or Disable Auto-Hide How to Enable or Disable "Auto-Hide" in Vista and Windows 7 Explorer Full Screen F11 Mode
This will show you how to enable or disable Auto-Hide in Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer while in Full Screen F11 mode. Auto-Hide hides the address and tool bar when in Full Screen F11.
Published by Brink Category: Browsers & Email 
ByLine
How to Enable or Disable "Auto-Hide" in Vista and Windows 7 Explorer Full Screen F11 Mode
Synopsis
This will show you how to enable or disable Auto-Hide in Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer while in Full Screen F11 mode. Auto-Hide hides the address and tool bar when in Full Screen F11.
How to Enable or Disable "Auto-Hide" in Vista and Windows 7 Explorer Full Screen F11 Mode

information   Information
This will show you how to enable or disable Auto-Hide in Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer while in Full Screen F11 mode.

By default, Auto-Hide is enabled.
Note   Note
Auto-Hide for Windows Explorer and Internet Exlporer works pretty much the same way it does for the taskbar. When in full screen F11 mode, Auto-Hide hides the address bar and toolbar until you move the mouse pointer to the top of the screen. When you do, the address bar and toolbar slides open.

EXAMPLE: Internet Explorer Full Screen F11 with Auto-Hide Enabled
NOTE:
Notice the address bar and toolbar are hidden while in full screen mode with Auto-Hide enabled.
Auto-Hide_Enabled.jpg
EXAMPLE: Internet Explorer Full Screen F11 with Auto-Hide Disabled
Auto-Hide_Disabled.jpg

Here's How:
1. Open a Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer window.​
2. Press F11 to turn full screen mode on or off.​
NOTE: On laptops or some multimedia keyboards, you may need to press the F Lock (Function) key or press and hold the Fn key and the F11 together instead of just F11.​
3. Right click on the area boxed in red in the upper right corner of the Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer window. (See screenshots below)​
NOTE: The left screenshot is in IE8 , and the right screenshot is in Windows Explorer. In IE9, right click on a empty area on the tab bar.​
IE7.jpg Windows_Explorer.jpg

4. To Enable Auto-Hide
NOTE: This will enable Auto-Hide in both Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer when changed in either one.​
A) Click on Auto-Hide to check it. (See screenshot below step 5)​

5. To Disable Auto-Hide
NOTE: This will disable Auto-Hide in both Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer when changed in either one.​
A) Click on Auto-Hide to uncheck it. (See screenshot below)​
IE7_Auto_Hide.jpg

That's it,
Shawn

Last edited by a moderator:
...just wanted to say thanks after searching around to solve my problem and finding nothing exactly relevant except this post... which hit it right on the button! Now my toolbars and command menus autohide like they used to under XP.. and my screen real-estate is once again maximized! :cool:

that is exactly what I was looking for. What originaly happened was my cockatiel ran across the key board and enabled it and also disabled it so I could not figure out what happened. I have been to two Geek Squads with no results. Again Thanks.