Guide for dummies Vista & XP 2 drives ?

ok BJ

lets try this one ...
set the default to the Vista Drive as first boot drive

BIOS has SATA0 as default (Vista hdd), SATA1 is 2nd boot (XP), and dvd/cd is 3rd boot (SATA5)

set boot .ini to ...

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

see if that does it

No cigar yet

By the way EasyBCD does work on XP so it may be possible to use that to fix the bootloader if you can get XP to run by using BIOS or physical cable switching

By moving the SATA0 cable from Vista to XP hdd, XP will boot up, but with Vista hdd then connected to SATA1, Vista will not boot, and there is no longer a boot select screen after the BIOS screen at start-up, but if you can tell me HOW to use EasyBCD to work on XP, I'll give a try

Just for your info the full details of what you are trying to do is here ...

Windows XP - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

what you have is so close to being right that hopefully this will be the variation we need

Not yet but getting warmer maybe...Bob

My Computer

By moving the SATA0 cable from Vista to XP hdd, XP will boot up, but with Vista hdd then connected to SATA1, Vista will not boot

And vice versa. That says to me that is the problem right there, you installed both XP and Vista on their respective hard drives but used the same SATA controller/port for each, hence why neither will boot when connected to a different port. Been there, done that when doing a case switch, and inadvertantly reconnected my Vista drive to the wrong SATA connector (think my heart stopped when I got the ever popular "OS/boot drive not found" error). After sweating for a bit realized what was wrong and a little trial and error switching the connection, it finally booted.

Might want to give serious consideration to starting all over again with XP, only this time leave it connected to SATA1 and Vista on SATA0, and just disconnect the power cable from the Vista drive when installing XP (that is if you want them both installed, but not "aware" of each other).

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Me
    CPU
    Athlon x2 7750 BE
    Motherboard
    Asus M4A78 Pro
    Memory
    2x2gb Kingston
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 4830
    Sound Card
    X-Fi Xtreme Music
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer P221w and Acer 1916w
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050 and 1440x900
    Hard Drives
    2x80 GB Seagate 7200.10 in RAID0, 500 GB Seagate 7200.12
    PSU
    Antec Earthwatts 500W
    Case
    Antec Sonata III
    Cooling
    AC Freezer 64 Pro and a couple of 120 mm case fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech G5 v2
    Internet Speed
    10000/1000
By moving the SATA0 cable from Vista to XP hdd, XP will boot up, but with Vista hdd then connected to SATA1, Vista will not boot

And vice versa. That says to me that is the problem right there, you installed both XP and Vista on their respective hard drives but used the same SATA controller/port for each, hence why neither will boot when connected to a different port. Been there, done that when doing a case switch, and inadvertantly reconnected my Vista drive to the wrong SATA connector (think my heart stopped when I got the ever popular "OS/boot drive not found" error). After sweating for a bit realized what was wrong and a little trial and error switching the connection, it finally booted.

Thats exactly what I did, was told by my "expert" friend to pull the vista hd right out of pc during XP install, so I used the same SATA0 port for XP during install

Might want to give serious consideration to starting all over again with XP, only this time leave it connected to SATA1 and Vista on SATA0, and just disconnect the power cable from the Vista drive when installing XP (that is if you want them both installed, but not "aware" of each other).

BTW, I used EasyBCD in XP as suggested by Nigel, and it could not locate Vista even tho it was now set as 2nd drive in SATA1. After I pointed EasyBCD to it, it said no boot found ??, so I had it set the boot to the Vista drive, which is now called E drive while XP is the default as C drive in this configuration. On changing the hdds back , Vista as default on SATA0, and XP as SATA1, still can't boot XP at startup. I guess I would rather reload XP and proggies than have to do Vista all over again with all its proggies...give it a try and let you know how it turns out.
Thanks !

My Computer

Hi BJ, and thanks Stormy13,

that is what is causing the problem I Agree was trying to get round the problem by use of boot.INI

The way I see what is happening is that when vista boots on Drive 0 there is no problem and XP is on Drive 1, however when XP boots up on Disk 1 it still points in some way to Drive 0 and looks for it's boot files there.

I am now wondering if what's needed is to copy Boot.INI, (BOOT.INI pointing to Drive 1), and the C:\NTLDR to the Vista drive, and use EasyBCD to set both OS's to Boot from C:

It may be easier to do as Stormy13 says, and install XP again to the Second drive connected to the second SATA port, then reset the vista boot loader and use easyBCD to setup the dual boot again

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Latest Release Preview
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer G276HL 27", (DVi) + Samsung 39" HDTV (HDMI)
    Screen Resolution
    2 x 1920x1080 @50Hz
  • Manufacturer/Model
    Real World Computers (Custom by Me)
    CPU
    AMD FX8350 Vishera 8 Core @4GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A78L-M USB3
    Memory
    32GB [4x8GB] DDR3 1600 MHz
    Graphics card(s)
    Asus nVidia GTX750TI-OC-2GD5 (2GB DDR5)
    Sound Card
    ASUS Xoner DG + SPDIF to 5.1 System + HDMI
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 32" TV
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Internal
    Crucial CT256MX100SSD1 256GB SSD,
    Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH1 2TB,

External (USB3)
    Seagate Backup+ Hub BK SCSI Disk 8TB
    2.5/3.5 Hot Swap Cradle, USB3 + eSata (client HDDs)
    NAS 4TB
    PSU
    Aerocool Templarius Imperator 750W 80+ Silver
    Case
    AeroCool X-Warrior Red Devil Tower
    Cooling
    Hyper103 CPU, Rear 120mm, Front 2x120mm, Side 2x120mm
    Internet Speed
    68 MB Down 18.5 MB Up
    Other Info
    Six Sensor Auto / Manual Digital cooling (Fan) control with Touch control Panel
"The way I see what is happening is that when vista boots on Drive 0 there is no problem and XP is on Drive 1, however when XP boots up on Disk 1 it still points in some way to Drive 0 and looks for it's boot files there"

one correction there Nigel...XP does NOT boot up on Disk/drive 1, only on Disk0 (SATA0)

I'm going to try the reinstall of XP connected to SATA1, with the Vista hdd unplugged from SATA0...and will wait a bit to see if you concur with that. Thanks !

My Computer

Sorry I agree that a re-install of xp on Sata 1 would be the way to go. and inplace upgrade should be enough if you have programs on the drive you wish to keep - copy any personal data to the sata0 drive if posible or cd/dvd to be safe

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2 x 1920x1080 @50Hz
  • Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A78L-M USB3
    Memory
    Graphics card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 32" TV
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Internal

External (USB3)
    NAS 4TB
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Internet Speed
    68 MB Down 18.5 MB Up
    Other Info
OK, new install of XP successful, got all updates, etc. Stll get error for hal.dll on trying to boot into XP at startup with Vista back online as default in SATA0 and XP in SATA1 where it was installed, with Vista unplugged...whats next ?

My Computer

I finally got it !

I stumbled across a pdf at easyBCD and read thru it (God I am SO stupid !)
and learned how to set the boot ini, and also that the boot ini, ntdetect and ntldr need to be in the root of the "active " drive or partition, (meaning the one that first boots the pc,) not just in the XP root.
Anyway, now that I know how, I also added the E recovery partition on the Vista drive too:
[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Recovery" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I don't know if the entry in red is needed or not, but it worked so I left it alone LOL.

I want to thank you all, espcially Nigel and Stormy13 for your help.

Hey, can I get another rep point ? :)

My Computer

Hi Bob,

glad to see it's finally working. :party:

the thing about learning the hard way is that it sticks in the little grey cells better than any other method. Give yourself a gold star and enjoy your first dual boot :D

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2 x 1920x1080 @50Hz
  • Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A78L-M USB3
    Memory
    Graphics card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 32" TV
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Internal

External (USB3)
    NAS 4TB
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Internet Speed
    68 MB Down 18.5 MB Up
    Other Info
Thank you kindly sir.
One caveat tho...I get 2 boot screens now..only if I select XP from the first, and it takes me to a second where I have to select XP again (choice of 3 given)...any thoughts on that ?
I am sure its the config of the boot ini....perhaps a redundancy ?

My Computer

Back