Help with Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator

Freewheeling

I used Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator 1.4 to install a modified Arabic keyboard on my Vista 64-bit system, and I made a "newby" mistake that somehow corrupted the layout that was installed. I failed to create a user-defined name for the layout, and also inadvertently specified the language as English-US. As a result, when setup ran it specified the language under English-US, and when I activated it under Arabic (Saudi Arabia) it created a second layout file (or at least a second listing) under the same stupid name "Layout01 Description". Then the next time I tried to use MKLC the editing screen was blank (no keyboard graphic) and it lists "Layout01 Description" as the currently loaded source file.

And nothing I do will get rid of it. If I try to load a different source file it acts as though the file has been loaded, but the top margin still says "Layout01 Description" and the editing space is still white. I tried changing the colors for the display, but it's still blank. I've even loaded a different source file and verified it, and it will even create a new setup folder, and setup indicates that it has installed the new layout, but it's not visible on the list.

I've tried using the setup.exe for "Layout01 Description" to repair the layout, and when that didn't work I tried removing it, but although the setup.exe indicates success in both actions the bad layout remains on my computer under both Arabic (Saudi Arabia) and English-US. I've tried uninstalling MKLC and re-installing it, but still get the same behavior. I tried uninstalling the keyboard layout using the Control Panel software removal tool, and also tried creating a new user, but the MKLC program still doesn't work correctly.

So, is there some way I can manually fix or remove the corrupted "Layout01 Description" keyboard layout, and also completely remove MKLC, so that I can start over? I'm afraid to tackle the registry, but don't see any other options.

By the way, MKLC creates three different installation instruction sets, but setup.exe insists on using the AMD64 *.msi files even though my processor is Intel. I assume that's OK, because the other two are for 32-bit and Itanium processors, and the AMD64 instruction set is virtually identical to Intel's version?

I think the basic problem is that there are two layouts installed with the same name, and I've got to manually clean things up. I just don't know how. Help?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Gateway/DX4720-03
    CPU
    Pentium(R) Dual-Core ES200 @ 2.5GHz
    Motherboard
    Not Sure
    Memory
    4.00 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i (onboard)
    Sound Card
    NVIDIA HDMI Audio / Realtex HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung Synmaster 2233sw / Samsung Syncmaster 205w
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 / 1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD64 00AAKS-22A7B SCSI
    PSU
    What's a PSU?
    Case
    Gateway DX case?
    Cooling
    Standard Factory Installed?
    Keyboard
    Kinesis Ergonomic KB134 PC/QD
    Mouse
    Logitach Trackball
    Internet Speed
    High Speed Cable
    Other Info
    What else could there be?
OK, let's just keep this simple. Is there a recipe for deleting a key layout/program/whatever that has been corrupted so that it doesn't show up in Add/Remove Software? Is there a way to do this sort of thing manually? Yes? No? Sort of?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Gateway/DX4720-03
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Not Sure
    Memory
    4.00 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 / 1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    What's a PSU?
    Case
    Gateway DX case?
    Cooling
    Standard Factory Installed?
    Keyboard
    Kinesis Ergonomic KB134 PC/QD
    Mouse
    Logitach Trackball
    Internet Speed
    High Speed Cable
    Other Info
    What else could there be?
Very useful forum you've got here.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Gateway/DX4720-03
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Not Sure
    Memory
    4.00 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 / 1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    What's a PSU?
    Case
    Gateway DX case?