Hibernation hangs; strange event in log

LPent

I always use hibernation, never had a problem with it up until today.
When I tried to start the computer, the "Windows is resuming" screen just sits there...indefinitely and the green progress bar at the bottom is extremely slow.

I tried deleting the hiberfil.sys file and re-enabled hibernation, but the same problem keeps occurring. So I started browsing the event logs and I found that every time I hibernated the system today I got an:

The previous system shutdown <at time/date> was unexpected

error.

Which is strange as it was not unexpected for me, I initiated it.
What could be causing this?

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Core2Duo 2.66
    Motherboard
    MSI P35 Neo
    Memory
    2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro
Do you have something running in the background that could cause hibernation to pause? Have you scanned for Trojan Horses? Try Trendmicro free scan.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
    Motherboard
    Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
I had already scanned with Windows defender, spybot and Avast antivir. I did another on-line scan during dinner, but no positives.
There is another thing I just noticed, not sure if it is related. In explorer I suddenly have a Floppy drive listed while there is no physical floppy drive in my pc.
I remember seeing it this afternoon, but it didn't register in my brain until just now that it is new and not right.

Yesterday morning I put the computer into hibernation like always, it worked (as always) yesterday afternoon, but today it hasn't worked one time (and I tried a lot!).
I do not remember installing or changing system settings yesterday (which is not to say that I might have).

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Core2Duo 2.66
    Motherboard
    MSI P35 Neo
    Memory
    2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro
I would start in the BIOS and check the power settings and then reset them in Vista.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
    Motherboard
    Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
I did that last night a few times (I tested the S1/S3 settings in my BIOS) but it didn't work. The last thing I did was reset my BIOS once again, and I was to tired to try it out properly so I put the computer in hibernation and went to bed, this morning it started ok, and according to the logs it ran a backup and a defrag during the night, so the problem seems to have resolved.

Thanks for the help.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Core2Duo 2.66
    Motherboard
    MSI P35 Neo
    Memory
    2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro
There was probably a task running in the background that caused this error. Vista has a habit of running task every so often. Go into your task scheduler to see if there is anything factory set in there. This may stop the problem re-occuring.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    I5 3570K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
    Memory
    4 x 4GB corsair ballistix sport DDR3 1600 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 TI
    Sound Card
    creative x-fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Primary CiBox 22" Widescreen LCD ,Secondary Dell 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    Both 1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500G HD (SATA) 1 x 2TB USB
    PSU
    Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU
    Case
    Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
    Cooling
    3 x 80mm tri led front, 120mm side 120mm back, 200mm top
    Keyboard
    Logik
    Mouse
    Technika TKOPTM2
    Internet Speed
    288 / 4000
    Other Info
    Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
    Trust Graphics Tablet
Well, I went through all tasks and logs meticulously, but found nothing that might cause this...however, I did notice that the backup last night ran at 3 o'clock while it is scheduled to run at 1. So maybe it took windows to resume 2 hours from hibernation, in which case it may have been a defrag problem as the defrag ran after the backup and now the problem is gone.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Core2Duo 2.66
    Motherboard
    MSI P35 Neo
    Memory
    2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro
Back