• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How can I make the right click "View source" open page in FrontPage?

Hi, can anyone tell me how I can get the right click drop down menu's 'View source' to always open a web page in MS Frontpage instead of Notepad? This is when I have a web page of a site I'm working with open on my screen in IE7. I use Windows Vista Home Premium. You could easily achieve this with WinXP using TweakUI but I don't know how to do it in Vista. Reason I want to do this is because the 'Edit with' button at taskbar at top of screen always greys out after any refresh of the page. Is there a registry tweak would let me fix this? Prefer not to have to install an entire tweaking program just for this one change. Many thanks. :sarc:

sidney1st

Vista Guru
Open registry (run regedit)
Go to: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor
Then, change path to the path of the proggy you want to use.
Maybe you have to reboot or Log off/Log on to apply changes.

Hi, thanks for that! When I opened regedit at first and went to the "View source editor" there were no sub folders there and just the empty default entry. I put the file path to FRONTPG.EXE in there and rebooted but it didn't sort problem for me. Then I went back to registry and noticed there was now a sub folder called "Editor name" and it had file path to Notepad.exe, so I changed this to FrontPage's file path and closed registry and the "View source" now opens my pages in FrontPage for me. So got there in the end. Many thanks!
:party: :D

Dzomlija

Resistance is Futile
Vista Guru
Gold Member
Open registry (run regedit)
Go to: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor
Then, change path to the path of the proggy you want to use.
Maybe you have to reboot or Log off/Log on to apply changes.
I just went into my registry, and don't even have the key "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor".

I want to change my default "View Source" to open pages in Clear Edit or Microsoft Expression...

sidney1st

Vista Guru
Hi,
For X64 machines, it is maybe there:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor ;)