How to install Wifi drivers

cidr

Hi there,

First of all, excuse me for my naivety if I miss anything, this is my first post!

I've just re-installed my Vista x32 os on my laptop and do not have any of the drivers so had to manually find them on the net. I managed to find ethernet drivers on my other PC and install them on my laptop. So, basically I've had to look for all drivers (Graphics, audio etc).

The main problem I have at the moment is that I'm not sure how to install Wifi drivers. even though I can connect to the net with my RJ45 cable, I can't see any wireless networks and of course, diagnostics is telling me that I haven't any wifi hardware (because I don't have the drivers installed)

If anyone can help me find a way to do this because this is an area I've not dealt with before? how do I find out what drivers will work? is there anything else I need to do?

I'm grateful for any help!

Thanks

My Computer

Hello cidr,

Welcome to Vista Forums.

Do you have the driver? Rt. click computer/manage/device manager. See if there is anything with a yellow warning icon or if the Wifi is listed. If so right click on the device/properties and see if you can update/install driver from there.

Hope this helps.

Gary

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    CPU
    Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
    Memory
    Crucial Ballistix 4x2GB PC2 6400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Creative SB X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207 + HPvs15
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050 + 1024x768
    Hard Drives
    2-WD5000AAKS-500 GB
    WD 5000AAV-500 GB external
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Comfort Curve
    Mouse
    MX Revolution
    Other Info
    Wacom Intuos 2 Graphics Tablet
    Experience Index=5.5
If you are referring to the installation of the wifi card's driver not completing, you might have to have the chipset driver installed first. Try installing the drivers in the order you download them from the site.

But yeah, like garysgold said, check the device manager for the card. I had this problem a while ago and it turned out that i had accidentally dislodged the card somehow.. Being listed in the Device Manager will tell you if the card is physically installed or not.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite
    CPU
    AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor
    Motherboard
    Some Amount of Motherness
    Memory
    6.O GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA nVIDIA GeForce GT 240 512MB DDR5
    Sound Card
    Some Amount of Soundness
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Two Monitors: HP w1907 & Acer P191w
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 & 1440x900
    Hard Drives
    WD Caviar Blue 500GB
    PSU
    Some Amount of Voltageness
    Case
    Hp Pavilion Elite Case
    Cooling
    Some Amount of Coolingness
    Keyboard
    HP: Model Number: KB0911
    Mouse
    HP: M/N:M-SBQ133
    Internet Speed
    Comcast: 20 MB/S
    Other Info
    I have two monitors! I play Call of Duty: Black Ops & Modern Warfare II - Both on PC. Contact me through my website: ChaseKurry.com
Hi and thanks for responding!

I checked device manager but only see the Ethernet controller coming up with a yellow!.

There's no sign of Wifi or Wifi drivers mentioned. I installed chipset drivers last night, presuming their the right ones:s

I'll have a look and let you know how I get on

Cidr

My Computer

Back