Solved How to keep your updates

mich

[FONT=&quot]I suppose this is pretty basic but I will ask anyway, I run a DELL PC and one feature that I have used a few times to get me out of trouble is “DELL restore” it works perfectly and restores the PC to the state it was in as new, of course you then have to install all the updates up to the present time, but if I understand correctly these updates are no longer available, so my question is how can I keep the updates that I have and then install if and when needed. The last update install was 16/7/16 I do have an external hard drive. [/FONT]

townsbg

~~тσωηsвg~~
Vista Guru
Gold Member
You can't keep the updates of a current install if you replace it however it isn't that the updates are unavailable just that there aren't any new ones. You can still get them through windows update up until April.

richc46

Vista Guru
Gold Member
Mitch,
I think that the best approach is to use Macrium Reflex to make a free back up of your hard drive. If it becomes necessary to use Dell restore, do so and then use the Macrium backup to go back to the way you were prior to the problem.

mich

lmacri

Vista Pro
Yes, that is Macrium. Why not use their site and be sure not to receive any surprises with your d/l
Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

Hi mich:

Just further to richc46's suggestion, there was a discussion in the Norton Tech Outpost a few months ago titled Disk Image or Disk Clone? that includes links to a few good tutorials for Macrium Reflect Free, including the How-To Geek article How to Create an Image of Your PC Before Upgrading to Windows 10.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.2.0 * NS Premium v22.9.4.8 * MB v3.1.2

richc46

Vista Guru
Gold Member
It appears that they temporarily stopped offering the free edition, until the new version 7 is released. You can try to get it now from other sites, like you originally planned.

H987

Mitch,
I think that the best approach is to use Macrium Reflex to make a free back up of your hard drive. If it becomes necessary to use Dell restore, do so and then use the Macrium backup to go back to the way you were prior to the problem.

... I was just going to say. ^^

• I have torched my notebook back to factory new with Gateway's PC Angel which took about 2 hours start to finish.
  • Then I used Macrium Reflect Free to image that.
  • Then I installed all of my MUST HAVE software that I ALWAYS want on my notebook.
  • Then i used Macrium Reflect Free to image THAT.
  • Then I save ALL my data and documents etc etc on a D: drive (NOT on C: )
I can then do ANYTHING I want on my notebook, install stuff etc and if it ever starts working not-so-great - I torch it back to "my factory new" via Macrium Reflect Free and I'm good as new in 40 minutes.

Last edited: