I can't run some .exe files!

When I click run on an .exe [several tried] program, it gives me either of these messages:

This program requires Windows NT version 5.0 or later.

Runtime Error (at -1:0): Cannot import EXPANDCONSTANT.

The exception inknown software exception (0x40000015) occured in the application at location 0x6d9108a0.
Click on OK to terminate the program

I can however, run some, but not all, from an elevated command prompt!

My Computer

The problem with customizing an installation disk is that you could leave out something crucial and unfortunately the only suggestion I have is to install with the full media. Wine Runtime Error Cannot Import

What causes Wine Runtime Error Cannot Import error?

The Wine Runtime Error Cannot Import error may be caused by windows system files damage. The corrupted system files entries can be a real threat to the well being of your computer.

There can be many events which may have resulted in the system files errors. An incomplete installation, an incomplete uninstall, improper deletion of applications or hardware. It can also be caused if your computer is recovered from a virus or adware/spyware attack or by an improper shutdown of the computer. All the above actives may result in the deletion or corruption of the entries in the windows system files. This corrupted system file will lead to the missing and wrongly linked information and files needed for the proper working of the application.

In short something you left out is causing your issue.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
Thanks townsbg,

I have an image of the full OS anyway that I can always re-image back to.
I think I will just install the customisation as I can install all the programs I need via an elevated command prompt.
It was just a little project I set myself to see if I could do it!
It is only an old laptop that will just be used for Internet access anyway.
It would have been nice to have been able to resolve this though. I appreciate the fact that Vista isn't widely used now and this forum has very few watchers now. Maybe someone will come across this thread in the future with a working resolution.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help, it is appreciated.

My Computer

The run time error is usually thrown up by .net framework when a person has two or more versions of the same program installed and is running one of them. If you have that situation, I would uninstall all versions except the latest.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
I tried it on a clean install and I still get the same error.
It is definitely something that I have removed but looking at what I have removed I can't see what it can possibly be!

My Computer

Right click on one of the .exe files that is giving a problem and select Properties. In the Compatibility tab, set the mode to XP and check the box to "run this program as administrator." Apply the changes.

Does that help?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
I can click set the mode to XP [UAC turned OFF] but can't check the box to Run this program as administrator as it is greyed out. User is set to Administrator.

I turned UAC on and the Run this program as administrator became available. I ran the .exe and got exactly the same message Runtime Error (at -1:0): Cannot import EXPANDCONSTANT as before.

I also activated the Administrator account [net user administrator /active:yes] and got the same message!

Last edited:

My Computer

I'm kinda busy right now but from what I can find, that error is caused by incompatibility of the software with the OS. That's why I asked you to go to XP mode. Have you tried it with any of the other software that was giving you a problem? What is one of the pieces of software you can't run?

As a comment, I wouldn't have removed over half of the things you mentioned. Hard to troubleshoot a problem with some of that missing.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
Hi wither 3,

I'm kinda busy right now but from what I can find, that error is caused by incompatibility of the software with the OS. That's why I asked you to go to XP mode. Have you tried it with any of the other software that was giving you a problem? What is one of the pieces of software you can't run?

As a comment, I wouldn't have removed over half of the things you mentioned. Hard to troubleshoot a problem with some of that missing.
I have tied down the error Runtime Error (at -1:0): Cannot import EXPANDCONSTANT to removing ALL the languages. I will have a look tomorrow as to why this is causing the error. The strange thing is that an earlier version of AOMEI Backupper Standard runs OK but not the latest version.

My Computer

There's supposed to be a little program in the Task Scheduler that runs on bootup to remove unused language programs. I think it's called LPRemover. I'm on my Win 7 system and it's not there. It is there on my Vista system (but I can no longer look since that system is down).

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
I have now got a customised ISO that I am happy with. I can live with initial install of some programs [two I think] via the elevated command prompt. At the end of the day, the laptop is only going to be used for the Internet pretty much. I have a system image of both the original OS and the customised OS in case things go wrong. The laptop will also be used as a testing machine, and once I have finished testing, I can easily and quickly restore the OS back.

Thanks to those who have given their advice and help, it is appreciated.

My Computer

Back