I can't save or open any file in any application without it saying 'Not responding'.

Stee123

Bascially i have a sony vaio latop, i have owned it for a year and a half and now it just says it can't respond if i try to open or save in any application. I firstly found out i had this problem in sony vegas pro 10.Please can you help and solve this problem its driving me crazy:(.

My Computer

Re: I can't save or open any file in any application without it saying 'Not respondin

Do you know when this problem began? Try a System Restore to a point in time BEFORE the problem began. Here's the procedure: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76905-system-restore-how.html. Be sure to check the box to show more than 5 days of restore points. If the first attempt fails, then try an earlier point or two. NOTE: You will have to re-install any software and updates you installed and uninstall any software you removed between now and the restore point, but you can use Windows Update for the updates.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

6TO4 Adapter
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Router Linksys / WRT54G -01
Re: I can't save or open any file in any application without it saying 'Not respondin

i have no idea when it started i have realised from the past few weeks

My Computer

Then try a point a few days before you first realized it and see if that helps.

If not, we'll try some other options, but this is typically the best for this type of situation if we can get in front of the problem.

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

it hasn't worked :( everything is doing the same thing and also the restore has deleted my sony vegas

My Computer

See Undo System Restore on how to undo the System Restore and you should be back where you started. Then we'll have to dig deeper to find the cause of this problem. I'll have a number of questions to ask and maybe some tests and other procedures to perform.

But first, let's get things back to normal. So follow the procedure and post back the results.

Thanks and good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

We now need to get more information about the problem in much greater detail. And then we need to begin troubleshooting to try to identify the cause and hopefully solve it at the same time but perhaps just identify it for starters.

You say it can't open or save in any application. Do you mean if you open the application and then click on File / Open (or however the application works), it will not open the file? What error message does it give EXACTLY word-for-word including any codes? You also say it won't save (I presume a new document since you can't open current ones). What EXACT error message occurs there?

If you go to your Documents folder and double-click on a document file, will it launch the application and open the file or what will it do? If you right click on a document file in your Documents folder and click on copy and then click on the folder and click paste, will it create a new document with almost the same name (in essence, will it work) or does it too fail? Can you rename a currently-existing document in your Documents folder?

Are you having any troubles opening the applications or is it only with opening and saving the files? Is it really EVERY application? Please try it with Notepad - something simple that will essentially prove the problem exists everywhere. So I assume you can't download anything from the internet since that involves saving the file using the browser application?

If that doesn't work, try to boot into safe mode (repeatedly click the F8 key while booting and go to safe mode with networking). Does the same problem exist in Safe Mode? Either way, then let's check some of your system files:

Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / Command prompt and right click on command prompt and click run as Administrator.

Type sfc /scannow and enter and let it run. It will scan and try to fix some of your system files. Hopefully it will complete with no corruption it could not repair (if there is such corruption post back here or try to analyze it to find the problem file(s) using http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228. Try to post any corrupted files here so we can see if they can be repaired with good copies from the installation disk (unless there are too many).

While in Command Prompt, type chkdsk /f /r and enter and let it run. It will want to schedule itself to run at the next restart. Answer yes and then reboot to run the program. It will scan and try to fix any corruption or bad sectors on your hard drive and mostly remove that as a potential cause.

If that doesn't work, try a clean boot http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135. If the problem goes away then it's just a matter of tracking down the culprit causing the problem. Follow the procedures in the article. Once found, delete, remove, deactivate, or uninstall it. Once done be sure to reset Vista back to normal status as explained in the procedures. If the problem occurs in clean mode then just restore the system to normal status and reboot - this solution is not going to work.

You may be infected with malware. Try to run anti-malware programs (in safe mode with networking if necessary). To fix this problem (if it is a problem) download, install, and run the following two programs: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php and http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html. You may also want to try the new, free Microsoft Security Essentials http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Microsoft-Security-Essentials-Download-131683.html (with the caveat that only ONE AV program can be installed and running on your system at any one time). Use removal tools when appropriate http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/05/05/comprehensive-list-of-uninstallers-or-removal-tools-for-antivirus-software/. You may also want to try the free Avira at: http://www.free-av.com/ and Avast at: http://www.avast.com/index. Reboot after completing all the scans. You may also want to try the free OneCare at http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm and let it run all the options (except the registry cleaner) because that’s good maintenance (it will take some time to complete but can be done in the background).

If that doesn't work, If that doesn't work, then please post any error messages from the Event Viewer concerning opening and saving (Start / Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Event Viewer). Here's how to use Event Viewer: http://www.petri.co.il/vista-event-viewer.htm. Look in the Application section.

If that doesn't work, let's consider that your user profile may have become corrupt and repair it. To fix this use http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-vista/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile.

That's it for now, whether the problem is yet resolved or not. Please answer all the questions (even if some were buried) and reply with results of what you tried (with copies of reports or attached files where requested).

I hope this helps resolve the problem or at least identify or lead us to the cause. This may take you some time, so post when you're ready or if you have any questions or problems or discover anything of interest as you proceed.

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Right i'll try all of those suggestions and i'll update you soon

My Computer

right i typed in chkdsk /f /r and it won't work tell me if that's right

My Computer

You jumped a bit ahead, but that's OK.

Oops, seems I missed a step before the SFC command and the chkdsk command. It should have said:

Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / Command prompt and right click on command prompt and click run as Administrator.

After that, both procedures will work. I'll fix the prior post so it's added where it should be. Sorry about that.

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

right im on this new account thing in one of the steps and it works with opening and saving documents. Is there any way from transfering all of my data e.g itunes, word and other things to this new account because it seems to be working fine

My Computer

Excellent news, Stee123! So we found the cause and now it's a matter of deciding what is truly needed to fully repair things and get you back to normal. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "seems to be working fine", but I'll cover that in what follows.

That's pretty much up to you - but consider the consequences. The primary problem is that if you use the new account, your default icons and folders (like Documents in the start menu for example) will not be correct - they will be for the new account and not for the old account. You will be able to open and save properly, but it will save to the "wrong" folders - the new ones - and you may not be able to find what you want without entering the full file path to the old account or eventually know which account contains which files (and there may be other consequences such as changes to your desktop, changes to your settings, access to downloads, and access to your e-mail accounts and access to certain programs, and program access to both old and new data, and other things). Furthermore, unless you transfer the data as indicated in the procedures, you will end up with your data split between two separate accounts and separate sets of folders which I at least would find most inconvenient eventually if not immediately. Plus if the old account is corrupt (and if this worked, that would seem to be the case), it may eventually corrupt the files it contains even further to the point where no account is able to access them (and cause other unwelcome changes as well). As time goes on, fixing this division of accounts will become more and more difficult. I recommend you follow the procedures as defined in the article; however, the choice is yours.

Unless you're saying that simply creating the new account made the old account suddenly start working properly again. In that case, just leave the new account as it is and login to your old account and use it as you always have and you'll be just fine (but I would find this difficult to believe as just creating a new account should not repair the old one - the new account may have access to the old account files if it was created as an Administrator account but again, the account folders and information will be new and there WILL be changes that you may not yet have noticed as you probably concentrated primarily on the problem you were having and not looking at other changes and consequences).

In your circumstances, I would take the time (and yes, go through the hassle) of completing the procedure fully and properly with the transfers (again, unless somehow - for reasons I can't fathom - the old account is now working properly when you login to it and not the new account). Still, if the problem occurred once with the old account, it could occur again if the problem was some type of corruption (or whyever else it occurred this last time) and the next time it may not be so easy to fix and you may even lose your data and perhaps all other information as well (whatever isn't backed up and can be restored).

In the end, I can't make this decision for you - I can only offer recommendations and my best advice (and try to explain the consequences). It's up to you whether or not to take it. That's how it works here as opposed to if I were local to you and you hired me to "fix the problem" (which is what I've been doing as the owner of my small computer repair company for about 20 years) - then I'd do what I recommended to you as that is the safest and best solution (certainly long term, and perhaps short term as well).

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940