I need help with driver problems.

Dear Josh,

I must apologize, both the shell and screen capture work considerably different in my other OS. In that system I have to use them often, so I assumed the process would be similar.

I installed all 5 of the drivers then restarted the computer. When booted up, I first tried to open a browser. When the browser would not open, I opened the Device Manager and saw that all five drivers were still inactive. I did not notice anything peculiar when completing each driver installation. Of course, my confidence is low, because my understanding of what is happening is vague, but when I got the finished selection, I felt I had installed properly. Not so, I guess.

I was unable to copy and paste the results of the scan, so I will type in what it revealed now:

c:\Windows\system 32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resources Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
c:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

c:\Windows\system32\>\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
Access is denied.

What I was attempting as well as expecting here was a print out of the log file. I then planned to highlight the data, copy the data to a word file then upload the attachment to the forum. That is how it is done on my other system.

When I selected the Prtsc on my keyboard, no action window in GUI form appeared, so I was unable to copy the screen to attach similarly.

Such steps are necessary quite often when making repairs in my other OS, so I expected I would be able to send you the info, easily.

In my other system, if I want a screen print, I just hit the Print Screen on the keyboard, a GUI appears asking for instructions. To keep the image smaller, I choose a rectangular area of the screen, then select the portion I want to capture and hit enter. I then have an image file of the selected area only. Next I select 'Insert image' then the file from my computer, then upload. The image then appears in the Reply post where the cursor was last blinking.

I read some of the instructions for Windows Vista making a screen print; I will have to study that a bit more before I can attach an image. I was a little confused when I read the explanation. Additionally, if I had wanted to send a file that included the results of the shell scan, I would have highlighted the pertinent data, same as in any document, in the shell and copy and paste the information to a word file. Then I would select the 'Insert image' then select file search of my computer, then select the file that contained the word document and press 'enter' next I would select the upload option, press enter and the file would appear as an attachment in the Reply post. When I select 'Post Quick Reply' the image would be presented as a GUI of the data contained in the shell. That probably sounds confusing to you, but it is the way my other system functions. I usually do not need a screen print when using Vista, so I haven't needed the capability. I don't understand why selecting the 'scrnprnt' key doesn't capture an image of the desktop. It seems the logical way to do it. Oh well, as my grandkids would say.

I am also a bit confused when I tried to open the log file that I was refused. Being logged in as Administrator should have given me permission, shouldn't it?

It looks like I am going to have to spend more time in my Vista Operating System. There is much to learn.

The log file should be saved in the appropriate place, so if you can explain how I attach and upload it, I think we are good to go. Providing you are willing to continue. Thanks if you do? :)

Hello Shab,

I will answer your questions in a moment, but please provide me with the hardware Ids so I can make sure that the drivers I sent are correct.

To find hardware Ids:
1) Start
2) Type "devmgmt.msc" in the search box (without the quotes)
3) Open devmgmt
4) Yes to User Account Control if prompted
5) Right click each device not recognized
6) Click Properties
7) Click the Details tab
8) Click the dropdown and select "Hardware Ids"
[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]9) Please provide me with the Hardware Ids[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Repeat from step 5 for all of the devices that are not installed correctly (or with the yellow ! sign)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]To take a screenshot under Windows Vista:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]1) Press Print Screen (or PrtSc) on the keyboard. Nothing will happen [/FONT]This is normal.
[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]2) Press Start[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]3) Type "Paint"[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]4) Open Paint[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]5) Press CTRL+V (or click Edit->Paste)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]6) Press File->Save As[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]7) Save the file[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]To attach the picture to the forum post:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]1) On the toolbar press the Insert Image button (Small painting, if you leave you mouse over the buttons they tell you what they are)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]2) Click the From Computer tab[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]3) Click Choose File[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]4) Click Upload File(s)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I hope this helps,

Josh

PS: I will work on getting the CBS file later.
[/FONT]

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows Vista Business x64
Thanks itOuchpods,

That was interesting. There is one additional missing driver that did not show up until I was working the problem on this forum. It is probably never going to be used or necessary, but if it is simple to get the driver, I would like it installed as well.

Here we go, I hope I did this right:

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series.jpgIntel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN.jpgRealtck RTLB168D Family PCI-E GBE NIC.jpgRicoh PCIe Memory Stick Host Controler.jpgRicoh PCIe xD Picture Card Controller.jpgTOSHIBA Software Modem.jpg

It is quite nice to be able to handle the Screen Print function, thanks. Rather than take the time in past occasions, I found a workaround to get the info uploaded. I am ashamed to say I was so lazy. You guys are great in this forum.

I am really not so lazy, however, I get confused when reading what is a complicated instruction to me. I can no longer retain new information very long. I am able to learn still, by doing the task over and over, just like I did to get 6 images uploaded. Time will tell if it was enough to make a permanent memory. I am very old for my genetic pool by 19 years by the next oldest and 26 years by the oldest before my father. I am ageing with memory difficulties. It is one of the reasons I appreciate you guys so much. You all have been kind enough to show patience with me. I just love computing; you are making it possible for me to continue. Thanks! :geek:
Hello Shab,

I will answer your questions in a moment, but please provide me with the hardware Ids so I can make sure that the drivers I sent are correct.

To find hardware Ids:
1) Start
2) Type "devmgmt.msc" in the search box (without the quotes)
3) Open devmgmt
4) Yes to User Account Control if prompted
5) Right click each device not recognized
6) Click Properties
7) Click the Details tab
8) Click the dropdown and select "Hardware Ids"
9) Please provide me with the Hardware Ids

Repeat from step 5 for all of the devices that are not installed correctly (or with the yellow ! sign)

To take a screenshot under Windows Vista:

1) Press Print Screen (or PrtSc) on the keyboard. Nothing will happen This is normal.
2) Press Start
3) Type "Paint"
4) Open Paint
5) Press CTRL+V (or click Edit->Paste)
6) Press File->Save As
7) Save the file

To attach the picture to the forum post:
1) On the toolbar press the Insert Image button (Small painting, if you leave you mouse over the buttons they tell you what they are)
2) Click the From Computer tab
3) Click Choose File
4) Click Upload File(s)

I hope this helps,

Josh

PS: I will work on getting the CBS file later.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba Satelite A505
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz, 2000 MB
    Motherboard
    don't know
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    duh, it's a laptop
Thanks itOuchpods,

That was interesting. There is one additional missing driver that did not show up until I was working the problem on this forum. It is probably never going to be used or necessary, but if it is simple to get the driver, I would like it installed as well.

Here we go, I hope I did this right:

View attachment 29008View attachment 29009View attachment 29010View attachment 29011View attachment 29012View attachment 29013

It is quite nice to be able to handle the Screen Print function, thanks. Rather than take the time in past occasions, I found a workaround to get the info uploaded. I am ashamed to say I was so lazy. You guys are great in this forum.

I am really not so lazy, however, I get confused when reading what is a complicated instruction to me. I can no longer retain new information very long. I am able to learn still, by doing the task over and over, just like I did to get 6 images uploaded. Time will tell if it was enough to make a permanent memory. I am very old for my genetic pool by 19 years by the next oldest and 26 years by the oldest before my father. I am ageing with memory difficulties. It is one of the reasons I appreciate you guys so much. You all have been kind enough to show patience with me. I just love computing; you are making it possible for me to continue. Thanks! :geek:

Hmm. I will take a look at those Ids and get new drives. I see now that some of the drivers I provided may not be the exact right one.

I'm glad I could help!

I will get the new drivers to you sometime today.
Can you provide me with a screenshot of the Device Manager itself?

1) Click Start
2) Type "devmgmt.msc"
3) Open devmgmt
4) Click Yes to User Account Control if prompted
5) Take a Screenshot of the Device Manager and please upload it here.

I have been working on computers for many years and to help someone else with their computer problem makes me feel really goid. I will work my hardest to fix this problem for you and to get you back to enjoying Windows Vista!

Glad I could help!

Josh

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows Vista Business x64
Items 2,3, and 4 did not provide any results; I tried them on a shell with the same result. Nevertheless, I did make a screenshot of the Device Manager. I hope it is what you expected to see. I am thinking you may have been giving me instructions for Windows7 or 8.
DeviceManager.jpg
If what you were expecting was an image of a command line product, I tried the command line too and failed.

Thanks, friend :)

Hmm. I will take a look at those Ids and get new drives. I see now that some of the drivers I provided may not be the exact right one.

I'm glad I could help!

I will get the new drivers to you sometime today.
Can you provide me with a screenshot of the Device Manager itself?

1) Click Start
2) Type "devmgmt.msc"
3) Open devmgmt
4) Click Yes to User Account Control if prompted
5) Take a Screenshot of the Device Manager and please upload it here.

I have been working on computers for many years and to help someone else with their computer problem makes me feel really goid. I will work my hardest to fix this problem for you and to get you back to enjoying Windows Vista!

Glad I could help!

Josh

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba Satelite A505
    CPU
    Motherboard
    don't know
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    duh, it's a laptop
Did you download and transfer them to other computer and install the drivers I provided you? If you did did it give any errors?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    dell
Dear Oscer1,

The first driver was not signed and Vista refused to install it. The second was specifically for a Sony machine and warned to not use it with any other laptop. The third driver was also not recommended for installation. Thanks for trying :)

this one should be the realtck rtlb168d family pci-e Realtek <br> Sony :SVE1513G1 : Ethernet Driver (Realtek)

intel wifi link 5100 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19853

try these drivers then if you get connected you can go to the manufature support site to get rest of drivers that are missing

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba Satelite A505
    CPU
    Motherboard
    don't know
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    duh, it's a laptop
1st was refused because it was not signed, second refused because it was for a special Sony laptop, 3rd was refused, can't remember why, but was a firm refusal, advised not to use. Thanks anyway. :)

Did you download and transfer them to other computer and install the drivers I provided you? If you did did it give any errors?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba Satelite A505
    CPU
    Motherboard
    don't know
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    duh, it's a laptop
If I knew who I could trust, I would. I am very sceptical anymore. Safest help comes from friends like you in the forums. I just was creamed with a Virus in my other machine. Lost everything. I don't understand them. They screw up your maching and try to profit from the damage they cause by selling you the repair. I wonder if anyone falls for it? :)

I know what you mean, i am helping my son get an old Sony Vaio laptop Model PCG-5K7P (which i cannot find on there website) up and running which was totally trashed so we installed Vista 32 Ultimate and managed to find most of the missing drivers or one's that did not complain, but ran out of luck getting the webcam to work and after days of searching contacted Sony online who where willing to help out as long as i gave them my Bankcard number so they could bill me for technical support!! Apparently Sony no longer support systems that Microsoft no longer support so thanks for your money now bugger off.
They are the only company i have come across that charge for driver support, maybe there are others i don't know, i am glad i have stuck with Asus products whenever i can as i have always found what i want regardless of age and FREE of charge.
There are no Sony Products in my household and there never will be (except for this miserable Vaio piece of junk with no Webcam support that works) so unless anyone here who is more helpful than Sony who can get me a Webcam program that works with Sony visual communications camera VGP-VCC6 according to the driver, but no mention of the utility or program that makes it work and i have spent more that enough DAYS searching for help, my son can have it back and use it for a boat anchor or give it to the kids for a skateboard ramp (probably work very good for that).
Thanks in Advance for any help

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sony Vaio Laptop PCG-5K7P
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo [email protected]
    Memory
    2 Gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon x2300
    Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek High Def
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba MK2546GSx 200 ATA Partitioned C:70 E:116 Recovery Partition Blown Away No Rescue Disks
    Other Info
    Upgraded from Vista Home x86 (Totally Corrupt) to Vista Ultimate x86 no driver disks available running on whatever Free drivers i can find on the internet Obviously not from $Sony$
(Problem Solved) i better put the Grand kids skateboards away
After another couple of hours sorting through misdirection on the net, i spotted another poor unfortunate who just crossed Sony of his Christmas card list who mentioned a program called Arcsoft Webcam companion 4 who are the people who supplied Sony's original program for their webcams and unbelievable as it is the program works, now i can get my life back....

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sony Vaio Laptop PCG-5K7P
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo [email protected]
    Memory
    2 Gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon x2300
    Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek High Def
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba MK2546GSx 200 ATA Partitioned C:70 E:116 Recovery Partition Blown Away No Rescue Disks
    Other Info
    Upgraded from Vista Home x86 (Totally Corrupt) to Vista Ultimate x86 no driver disks available running on whatever Free drivers i can find on the internet Obviously not from $Sony$
Back